Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Racist Newt at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Many who are turned off by organized religion if nothing else, appreciate non-denominational churches for just the reason you said, the casual atmosphere. The message is generally building a "relationship" not a "religion." Being born and raised into a non-denominational church, and going through my early years in a Catholic school, I've seen both sides of Christianity

I have a great respect for and am always interested to hear the journey of conclusions, if you will, that others have taken. If I may ask, why is it that you don't believe in a correlation with religion and a higher power? It doesn't seem you have an issue with faith, after all it does take at least a scintilla to believe in a higher power.
    A scintilla? No. An overwhelming body of evidence provided by science? Yes.

All I need to know about a higher power comes from science -- from the vast expanse of the universe (and the known end thereof) to the smallest of particles and everything in between. Religion is a finite construct, created by an inherently flawed Man trying to explain the unexplainable. A "higher being" is a infinite construct, thus impossible to comprehend fully by Man and futile to personify.

I too have great respect for those of faith nor do I begrudge them for their belief.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

All I need to know about a higher power comes from science -- from the vast expanse of the universe (and the known end thereof) to the smallest of particles and everything in between. Religion is a finite construct, created by an inherently flawed Man trying to explain the unexplainable. A "higher being" is a infinite construct, thus impossible to comprehend fully by Man and futile to personify.

I too have great respect for those of faith nor do I begrudge them for their belief.
    Doesn't that also apply to science?

I mean after all, for all we claim to know and figure out about the universe and how it was created.. we really don't know 1 millionth of what could be known.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Doesn't that also apply to science?

I mean after all, for all we claim to know and figure out about the universe and how it was created.. we really don't know 1 millionth of what could be known.
    Science is verifiable. Faith ain't.

And yes, what we don't know can fill a book. But that does not disprove the things that have already been proven.

Blog Entries

Science is verifiable. Faith ain't.

And yes, what we don't know can fill a book. But that does not disprove the things that have already been proven.
    True. Just simply point out what they share.

I didn't mean faith as is "having the faith," so much as the ability to believe what is unseen. Many people will not believe in a higher power simply because they aren't willing to accept what is beyond human understanding. That's why they are willing to accept scenarios in which unknown ancestors cells fuse with other unknown cells to create new unknown organisms that evolve through an unkonwn mechanisms into eventually man; there's at least something they can wrap their brain around.

I agree the many forms of Christianity have turned into largely meaningless human tradition and man worship. That's why I am a true Christian. A follower of Christ. Not the pope, the Vatican, or whomever else tries to confine the alpha and omega to purposes conceived by men. It's not Christians MO to comprehend God, but to comprehend what has been given to us, through use of the Bible, our individual purpose. The Bible is is truly what separates Christianity from other religions. It is impenetrable. From its succinct historical accuracy to it's deep proverbial truths. No human mind could write the bible on it's own. 2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed"

Some interesting information the Bible contains:

GRAVITY
    Ancient Egyptians said earth floated in a river. Ancient Indians (Hindu) said earth was on the back of 4 elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle, swimming in a sea of milk, encircled by a great snake. Ancient Greeks had earth on the back of Atlas. Buddhists had earth on the back of a giant catfish.

Job 26:7 (Written 2000 BC)
    "He suspends the earth over nothing."

GLOBE
    People thought earth was flat until the 1400s AD.

Isaiah 40:22 (700 BC)
    "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,"

CONTINENTAL DRIFT
    Land masses move a few inches yearly.

Job 9:5 (2000 BC)
    "He moves mountains without their knowing it"

THE WATER CYCLE
    from evaporation to cloud formation to rain was not clearly understood by scientists until the 1800s AD.

Job 36:26-29 (2000 BC)
    "He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind?"

Ecclesiastes 1:7 (950 BC)
    "All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again."
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt