Has Jimmy Smith improved on defense since San Diego?

Being out of town I only get to see nationally televised games. For most of the games I listen on SiriusXM. I remember that Smith was targeted frequently in San Diego. Has he improved since then because as I recall he gave up a few passes? If he hasn't improved, how can we offset this against Brady?

Blog Entries

Re: Has Jimmy Smith improved on defense since San Diego?

He's done a decent job.

Honestly, I think he's still finding his groove. He's made some head's up plays on ST's the past few weeks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Smith had a poor game in San Diego.

Webb wasn't playing....I think that made a difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Smith had a poor game in San Diego.

Webb wasn't playing....I think that made a difference.
    True.

Webb is one of those guys that you can leave on an island with a receiver. Jimmy Smith, in the Chargers game at least, looked like he was expecting a lot of over-the-top help from either Ed Reed or Bernard Pollard. Pollard has made a few mental miscues this season in coverage and Ed Reed has never been one to play his assignment to a "T", so I think that was a majority of the problems in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True.

Webb is one of those guys that you can leave on an island with a receiver. Jimmy Smith, in the Chargers game at least, looked like he was expecting a lot of over-the-top help from either Ed Reed or Bernard Pollard. Pollard has made a few mental miscues this season in coverage and Ed Reed has never been one to play his assignment to a "T", so I think that was a majority of the problems in San Diego.
    Actually, the story I heard was that the safeties (especially Pollard) were in the right spot, but that Smith really made a lot of mental mistakes that game. There was apparently a point in the second half where Pollard was reading him the riot act on the bench.

The good thing about this - if true - is that mental mistakes are much more easily corrected than talent deficiencies.

Blog Entries

Actually, the story I heard was that the safeties (especially Pollard) were in the right spot, but that Smith really made a lot of mental mistakes that game. There was apparently a point in the second half where Pollard was reading him the riot act on the bench.

The good thing about this - if true - is that mental mistakes are much more easily corrected than talent deficiencies.
    Agreed.

There is no doubt that Jimmy has the physical skills to play the position. His natural talent has already led him to make some good plays this season. 2 INT's I believe.

Blog Entries

He must have recovered from the mental mistakes already because Film Study said this about him. Hell, he's only
    a rookie and was out half the year with an injury but recovered in time for this.

Film Study:

Jimmy Smith had good coverage on Andre Johnson down the right sideline and Reed anticipated the throw from the snap. He was the first man there by a wide margin, made an uncontested leap, and hauled it in for his 8th postseason pick

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He must have recovered from the mental mistakes already....
    Like I said, these can be easily corrected in a week. Review your previous game....scout (review film of) your opponent...practice alignment and assignment during the week....execute in coordination with your team-mates on Sunday. Repeat.

Many (most) 1st round rookies get to the NFL based on their talent alone. This is the first time that they realize that they have to take their profession seriously and that it is a 60+ hour a week job (if done right). That is an adjustment some never make.

Blog Entries

Of course if he wasn't on (un)Special Teams, and gotten hurt in game #1, he would be further ahead in his development now. How good would he be if he hadn't lost 6 games (?) nobody knows, but logically he would be more improved... Bc

Yeah, this was what I had heard too. Against NE we can't afford him to play like a rookie. I hope the corrections have been made and that SD game taught him a lot.

Webb being out there makes Smith a better player. Webb is the best corner in the league that no one outside of the Baltimore fan base knows about.

12. Re: Has Jimmy Smith improved on defense since San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    Yeah, this was what I had heard too. Against NE we can't afford him to play like a rookie. I hope the corrections have been made and that SD game taught him a lot.
    if Smith sits in the film room with Reed, he's bound to get better in his reads. I think he's doing much better than the S.D. game.