Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Old Fashioned Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    you guys have beaten this thing so far into the ground, by now it's in China.

Re: Cosell or the genius that a few posters proclaim him to be, wasn't he the guy that said Bryant McKinnie was his least favorite player and that it was a terrible signing? Seems to me he has a little mud on his face for that one. But hey, Cosell is a genius... right guys?
    Sure, because nobody ever makes a mistake. I'm not even sure he was wrong about McKinnie--his play has been uneven this year and he does have a certain laziness to his game (doesn't hold his blocks very long, very weak effort on back-side run plays).

Cosell is certainly not perfect, but he bases his analysis on film study and evidence. He presents rational, well-reasoned points and he has a tremendous amount of credibility around the league. He gets it right more often than he gets it wrong.

Your posts on this matter are unproductive and smack of inappropriate sarcasm and derision.

2. Re: Old Fashioned Offense

I am in no way defending Cam. I think the organization needs to take a hard look at him in the offseason and move on w/ a better fit for the offense.

It is real easy for anyone to be the Monday morning QB when they're looking at film. Being in the heat of the moment and truly knowing what to call is an entirely different beast.

Cosell watches film for a living... there is a reason no organization has ever asked him in 30+ years to come and work for them in a front office capacity.

3. Re: Old Fashioned Offense

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Your posts on this matter are unproductive and smack of inappropriate sarcasm and derision.
    Ummmmmm, what? Lighten up dude. I'm pointing out that one man's opinion on the matter shouldn't give 60+ grown men wood.

The Ravens are 3 days away from the AFC Championship game... they have to be doing something right cause they haven't won every game this year 2-0.

Blog Entries

Greg Cosell on Bryant McKinnie-

"He’s a big-time stiff. I mean if you look at his physical attributes you would say that he should be a great left tackle, but he doesn’t play that way. He’s a lazy player, he doesn’t have good technique, and he’s a non-competitive player. He’s one of my least – and you know me, it’s nothing personal, I’m just telling you what I see – he’s one of my least favorite players over the last 3-4 years. He almost engenders a physical reaction in me when I watch him because he bothers me so much"

Greg Cosell on the amazing John Beck-

"I really liked John Beck coming out of Brigham Young. Relatively speaking. I didn’t like him like he was a top-10 pick in the draft, but I saw elements of his game –and I always have to be careful when I saw this, but Matt I think you’re smart enough to get when I saw this kind of stuff, you’ll know that I’m not absolutely comparing him to this player right now – but I thought John Beck had elements in his game of a Drew Brees kind of player.
    Well, to counter that, he doesn't care for Bryant McKinnie because he sees a guy with elite physical ability and never lives up to it. He's been pretty good for the Ravens this year, but he's a far cry from the consistent LT that the Ravens really need. He doesn't finish his blocks, he gets caught standing around while a play is still going, and he doesn't handle speed rushers very well at all.

Regarding John Beck, well I actually remember a lot of folks thinking that his game was pretty similar to guys like Chad Pennington and Drew Brees. He's an intelligent guy, moderately athletic, and during the combine he looked really good throwing the ball. A lot of folks thought that Kyle Boller, JaMarcus Russell, and Vince Young were great prospects as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Problem is, the Patriots do not have the physical DBs wo can take away Q inside and Torrey Smith. They also have an average DL and if they get too amped up on the pass rush its dump to Rice and let him work on a fairly slow defense on a fast track.

The way to beat the Ravens is get Joe to pass and choose between these:

1) Jam the WRs and may sure Rice doesn't beat you out of the backfield. (Vulnerabity to the quick hitting slant, and you have to handle Q)
    2) Pass rush and blitz and defend the deeper parts of the field, have a LB spy on Rice. If you can get a pass rush with four guys you are a winner. If the DEs are fast they can peel off to handle Rice's dumpoff game. (Risky cause a mistake creates a big play)

Pats don't have the game for either, really.

1) Which LB has the speed to shadow Rice? Chung doesn't have have the speed for that either.
    2) Can the Pat DT get any push inside? Wilfork? Doubting that.
    3) Are the Pats DE fast enough to peel off and cover the dump off to Rice?
    4) Are the Pats DBs physical enough to jam Q?
    5) Why handles Torrey Smith or Evans deep?
    6) Dixon should see a lot of room out there. He can make plays, drops or not.

So although Cam's offense may be 1960's its EXACTLY what should give the Pats problems.
    Last edited by NOLARavenFAN; 01-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

I am in no way defending Cam. I think the organization needs to take a hard look at him in the offseason and move on w/ a better fit for the offense.

It is real easy for anyone to be the Monday morning QB when they're looking at film. Being in the heat of the moment and truly knowing what to call is an entirely different beast.

Cosell watches film for a living... there is a reason no organization has ever asked him in 30+ years to come and work for them in a front office capacity.
    Valid point, but what do most coaches and players do the Monday/Tuesday following a game? They watch the film and analyze every player's performance. That's the only legit way that you can formulate educated notes in a real time situation. Evaluation in shorts and t-shirts does little. Evaluation during the practice week is good, but still doesn't say a whole lot. Evaluation of a game film tells you a lot and what a player needs to work on individually and what the team needs to work on as a whole.

7. Re: Old Fashioned Offense

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Problem is, the Patriots do not have the physical DBs wo can take away Q inside and Torrey Smith. They also have an average DL and if they get too amped up on the pass rush its dump to Rice and let him work on a fairly slow defense on a fast track.

The way to beat the Ravens is get Joe to pass and choose between these:

1) Jam the WRs and may sure Rice doesn't beat you out of the backfield. (Vulnerabity to the quick hitting slant, and you have to handle Q)
    2) Pass rush and blitz and defend the deeper parts of the field. If you can get a pass rush with four guys you are a winner. (Risky cause a mistake creates a big play)

Pats don't have the game for either, really.
    the very best way to get Flacco off his game is to apply pressure. He is a pocket passer and lives and dies w/ the protection he gets.

Blog Entries

You heard it here first, Our first offensive play will be a flea-flicker! Joe will aslo tuck and run more this game then ever, he's going to be our leading rusher.

(Hey I can hope can't I?)

9. Re: Old Fashioned Offense

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, to counter that, he doesn't care for Bryant McKinnie because he sees a guy with elite physical ability and never lives up to it. He's been pretty good for the Ravens this year, but he's a far cry from the consistent LT that the Ravens really need. He doesn't finish his blocks, he gets caught standing around while a play is still going, and he doesn't handle speed rushers very well at all.

Regarding John Beck, well I actually remember a lot of folks thinking that his game was pretty similar to guys like Chad Pennington and Drew Brees. He's an intelligent guy, moderately athletic, and during the combine he looked really good throwing the ball. A lot of folks thought that Kyle Boller, JaMarcus Russell, and Vince Young were great prospects as well.
    I don't know if McKinnie is lazy or not, but the guy has played in the NFL for over 10 years.... he's doing something right. Plus, he missed all of 4 games (I think) in his career. You play that many games in the NFL at LT, nobody has the right to put you down.

Not every player is going to have the fire that burns inside like a Ray Lewis. McKinnie is just an odd cat for sure, but on the whole I think it is safe to say he's been a solid addition this year.

Blog Entries

Greg Cosell on Bryant McKinnie-

"He’s a big-time stiff. I mean if you look at his physical attributes you would say that he should be a great left tackle, but he doesn’t play that way. He’s a lazy player, he doesn’t have good technique, and he’s a non-competitive player. He’s one of my least – and you know me, it’s nothing personal, I’m just telling you what I see – he’s one of my least favorite players over the last 3-4 years. He almost engenders a physical reaction in me when I watch him because he bothers me so much"

Greg Cosell on the amazing John Beck-

"I really liked John Beck coming out of Brigham Young. Relatively speaking. I didn’t like him like he was a top-10 pick in the draft, but I saw elements of his game –and I always have to be careful when I saw this, but Matt I think you’re smart enough to get when I saw this kind of stuff, you’ll know that I’m not absolutely comparing him to this player right now – but I thought John Beck had elements in his game of a Drew Brees kind of player.
    I dont really know Greg Cosell very well but i think both examples you pointed out are actually true. McKinnie, although a huge upgrade for us does not play as dominant as his physical attributes would suggest he could. Hes played average to above average this year, not great like Cosell says he doesnt. John Beck just this preseason showed flashes of exactly what he was commenting on. A guy thats mobile enough and can make some decent throws. Didnt work out that way, but cant say he didnt show flashes and in the NFL the only thing that separates the best from the worst is consistency, which he lacks. Im not saying hes the end all be all of analysts by any means but i dont think those examples prove hes incompetent either.

EDIT: didnt see Wicked's response, basically just repeating it.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I don't know if McKinnie is lazy or not, but the guy has played in the NFL for over 10 years.... he's doing something right. Plus, he missed all of 4 games (I think) in his career. You play that many games in the NFL at LT, nobody has the right to put you down.

Not every player is going to have the fire that burns inside like a Ray Lewis. McKinnie is just an odd cat for sure, but on the whole I think it is safe to say he's been a solid addition this year.
    See, I don't see it as necessarily putting him down, but just a testament to how good of a LT that he could have been had he played to his full potential.

He's been in the league for 10 years because he's athletic, enormous, and has done enough to stay in the league for 10 years. However, I think it's pretty obvious that the guy is a lazy player. Just look at the game a few weeks ago (I think against either Cleveland or Cinci) where the run was going away from him and he pushed the guy across from him, stood up, didn't move, and then Rice ran right into his gut.

Blog Entries

why don't they run an offense like the saints, packers or all those other teams that are sitting at home?

I'd rather be in the AFCC

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!