Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Old Fashioned Offense

I was on the way in to work today and heard Greg Cosell of NFL Matchup on Ross Tucker's show on Sirius XM NFL Radio. He made the following observations about the "tape" from the Texans game:

1. He thought he was looking at an offense from the 1960's.

2. He saw only isolation routes, which were not intended to shake coverage.

3. Man-press coverage will box receivers and make completions much harder.

4. None of the receivers broke away from coverage, and in that case it is more the receiver than the QB.

5. The Patriots will use man-press on Sunday since it is more effective against the offense that is called.

6. The offense was a very predictable one.

So all of this is obvious to a lot of people. In a fantasy world, I would hope that Cameron would play all of the routes that get receivers open and have not been used before because this is for all the marbles and needs a fresh approach. But watching him over the years I feel that we will see the standard plan that he feels will work, without adjustments. The game may be defined as the Patriots' coaching on defense against the Ravens' coaching on offense, rather than Brady against the defense.

My hope is that Cameron pulls a surprise package out of the briefcase and shocks the Patriots' defense. There have been examples of that against lesser opponents. It is time for him to do the best against the best. The defense can help by turnovers, but Cameron needs to step up. Control the clock, attack the weaknesses of the opposition, shake up the plan.

Does he have it in him?
    Captain Offense

Re: Old Fashioned Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I was on the way in to work today and heard Greg Cosell of NFL Matchup on Ross Tucker's show on Sirius XM NFL Radio. He made the following observations about the "tape" from the Texans game:

1. He thought he was looking at an offense from the 1960's.

2. He saw only isolation routes, which were not intended to shake coverage.

3. Man-press coverage will box receivers and make completions much harder.

4. None of the receivers broke away from coverage, and in that case it is more the receiver than the QB.

5. The Patriots will use man-press on Sunday since it is more effective against the offense that is called.

6. The offense was a very predictable one.

So all of this is obvious to a lot of people. In a fantasy world, I would hope that Cameron would play all of the routes that get receivers open and have not been used before because this is for all the marbles and needs a fresh approach. But watching him over the years I feel that we will see the standard plan that he feels will work, without adjustments. The game may be defined as the Patriots' coaching on defense against the Ravens' coaching on offense, rather than Brady against the defense.

My hope is that Cameron pulls a surprise package out of the briefcase and shocks the Patriots' defense. There have been examples of that against lesser opponents. It is time for him to do the best against the best. The defense can help by turnovers, but Cameron needs to step up. Control the clock, attack the weaknesses of the opposition, shake up the plan.

Does he have it in him?

THIS (in a nutshell) is the problem with Cameron - and why he will be replaced for the 2012 season. He's holding Joe back - literally and figuratively. He's playing football the way it was played 30 years ago. He's operating in a time warp. If the Ravens win it will be despite Cam - NOT BECAUSE OF HIM.

Blog Entries

These are issues that Cam has had for 3 seasons now. I don't include the first season with Cam as the coordinator because with a rookie QB it was obvious that it was going to be more of a ball control offense and a power running game, which honestly sometimes I miss.

Everyone says that the success of THAT particular season's running game was because of Lo Neal at FB. Well, I'm sorry, but last I looked Vonta Leach is the best run blocking FB in the game...so where is the consistent power running game? It seems like most of the time when Cam calls for an unbalanced OL it is down on the goal line. Frankly, I miss the unbalanced OL and the heavy set OL being used multiple times throughout the game.

Secondly, the last 3 seasons the Ravens were lucky to have had Mason, who at the time may have been one of the best route runners in the league. That's why he was able to get open and find the soft spots in zone coverage. He didn't have a lot of wheels, but he could run a route. Same with Heap.

Again, just one more reason why I cannot wait for Cam to NOT be a part of this organization anymore. I will be disappointed if he is still the OC next year. Any Cam supporters out there, take heed in what Greg Cossell is saying. He's one of the best NFL analysts there are and he knows what he's talking about.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

So if we can assume the Patriots game-plan will most likely be 8 in the box with man-press coverage on the outside, does this not open up opportunities for the offense? Towards the end of the Texans game we saw some more slants to take advantage of the Texans LBers blitzing. If Torrey catches one of those in stride he's taking it to the house. Are the Patriots really going to be comfortable having man coverage if the Ravens have Torrey and Lee Evans out wide with Boldin in the slot? If Cameron knows the game plan is to take away Rice at any cost he should be able to install a winning game plan. And if the offensive line can hold up Flacco will make them pay.

Blog Entries

Actually, Lee Evans should be a good contributor this weekend. Of all the players in the Ravens' locker room he is the most familiar with the Pats' defense. I surely hope that Cam is picking his brain this week.

Up until this season the guy face the Patriots twice a year every season he's been in the league.

We've all heard this same story so many times. Anybody who still defends Cam is only doing so to open up the avenue to attack Flacco. That has become abundantly clear over this season and particularly the last few weeks.

With the Ravens offense, anytime something doesn't work, it's because the players didn't execute. Cam calls a play; 2 sideline routes for the outside WRs, short curl route for the TE, and the RB slides out to the flat for the dump-off. That's a prototype Cam Cameron play and you'll see some variation of that 15 or 20 times this coming Sunday.

To Cam and his disciples, anytime this play is called, it's a good play, regardless of the defense. The WRs on the sidelines just have to get open. It doesn't matter if it's Cover-2 and the DBs are going to be on those sideline routes like white on rice; the WRs still just need to execute and get open. It doesn't matter if the TE is pressed and bracketed; he still just has to get open. It doesn't matter if a LB is spying the RB everywhere on the field; he just has to get open.

For Cam's system to work, EVERY PLAYER has to win his individual matchup, the QB needs to throw at the correct time and to the correct spot, and there can't be any pressure in his face. It's just not realistic and again, it's not surprising that the system looks like something out of the 1960's (before zone coverage was even really widely played!)

Since the 1960's, offenses have developed so much primarily because they draw up plays that produce unexpected results and favorable matchups. Coaches have learned to put their players in a position that winning their 1 on 1 is possible, even likely. Cam does not believe that his job is to do this.

When you watch the Patriots offense, see how many times guys are WIDE OPEN because the scheme drew coverage somewhere else. It's not just all their weapons, it's coaches working hard and taking responsibility, not constantly putting everything on the players and "execution."

I don't think I have ever seen a bunch formation in the last 3 years. I am surprised the lack of crossing routes wasn't mentioned too.

This may be more hope than prediction on my part but I agree that Lee Evans may come up big on Sunday.

He's under the radar right now, justifiably. But we saw his talent in the preseason and it flashed again versus Houston. And as Wicked says, Evans is experienced and familiar with the Patriots.

Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin will draw the main attention. Does Lee Evans slip out from under that and make some plays? He might. I hope he does.

I also have a feeling that Dennis Pitta is going to make some clutch catches for us. He's another guy who won't attract the defense's primary attention.

Two points. The crossing route issue is related to the two-wide formations that are the staple of this offense. The idea is that it is on each receiver to win the one-on-one, not mixing up the routes to pull coverage and open up the receiver.

I know we do not have a lot on Evans this year, but I have a feeling that he is going to have a break-out game. There was a thread some time ago about surprise players in the playoffs, and I think it may be Lee.

Of course, it requires the playcalling to make it happen.
    Captain Offense

If they stack the box, which I totally expect they will, there should be tons of opportunities down the field. The Pats don't really get after the QB either. They had 40 sacks this year, which is decent, but that's also because the number of attempts against them was highly inflated.

The Ravens should come out firing, and I expect them too. That's what the did the last time they met, and it was effective until Cam went into "shell" mode after getting out to a double digit lead.

IMO the key to the offense is the line just giving Flacco time, and I think they will. This isn't Houston's or Pittsburgh's front seven.

Blog Entries

Greg Cosell is best NFL analyst on the planet. If he says that Cam sucks, I believe him. This isn't the first time he's criticized Cam either. The receivers are in a system that makes it tougher for them to get open. This benefits no one. Cam needs to join Mike Martz in retirement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Greg Cosell is best NFL analyst on the planet. If he says that Cam sucks, I believe him. This isn't the first time he's criticized Cam either. The receivers are in a system that makes it tougher for them to get open. This benefits no one. Cam needs to join Mike Martz in retirement.
    :word

Preach on man. Preach on.