Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Did anyone just see Harrison & Buchanan on CSN?

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    Rodney Harrison & Ray Buchanan both picked the Pats to win by two TDs. Said that Pats would stack 8 in the box to shut down Rice and they don't believe Flacco is good enough to lead the Ravens back from a 14 point deficit.
    I guess I dreamt the Ravens came back from 21 points down against the Cardinals? Oh by the way, the Cardinals were ranked 17th in pass defense while the Patriots were ranked 31st. The Texans were ranked 3rd.

Its never been more obvious to me than this season that the media and ex-players giving opinions are clueless.

Per the usual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Is anyone really surprised by the media picks and does every comment from a talking head deserve a thread? They've been bashing the Ravens all season for their inconsistency and have decided that Flacco is going to be thier whipping boy. So why is everyone so up in arms about it? The only way for these guys to pick the Ravens is for them to swallow a lot of pride, and you know that isn't happening. The Ravens have to lose or they all look like bigger idiots than they are. This is nothing new.

Wake me up when something interesting happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    Its never been more obvious to me than this season that the media and ex-players giving opinions are clueless.
    I always expect a certain amount of that, but you're right, the chatter around the nation (and in Boston especially; I know because I live there and hear it) about this game has reached new depths of ignorance and absurdity. It's gone from the tragic to the comic to the sublime in the span of only a few days.

Picking the Pats to win is fine and one can make a perfectly reasonable argument to defend that point of view. The problem is that hardly anyone does that, but they still pick the Pats to win by 14+ points. And somehow they keep their jobs as commentators and writers. Even if they turn out to be right, it will be for the wrong reasons.

Last night on Boston TV an ex-Patriots players literally said that the Ravens cannot even slow down the Patriots passing attack. Reason? Our "cornerbacks are too slow". Good god. Just go ahead and make things up out of the clear blue sky why don't you. These people don't even watch the games closely or else their opinions would not be so ignor-arrogant. :) Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Last night on Boston TV an ex-Patriots players literally said that the Ravens cannot even slow down the Patriots passing attack. Reason? Our "cornerbacks are too slow". Good god. Just go ahead and make things up out of the clear blue sky why don't you. These people don't even watch the games closely or else their opinions would not be so ignor-arrogant. :) Hilarious!
    That is because I think very few people actually look at game film, analyze stats and do any real analysis before making a statement.

I honestly think most of the national media equate the Ravens secondary with Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard. So they see great but declining skills in Reed and mediocre (coverage) skills in Pollard and just assume the secondary is getting worse.

I would bet half the national analysts would not even know who Webb is or what team he plays for if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    I honestly think most of the national media equate the Ravens secondary with Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard. So they see great but declining skills in Reed and mediocre (coverage) skills in Pollard and just assume the secondary is getting worse.

I would bet half the national analysts would not even know who Webb is or what team he plays for if asked.
    It's not just the national media who is lazy. Marvin Lewis said that the Ravens defnesive backs were the most penalized in the league. Some of these guys just need to get their heads out of their asses and get into this season, not seasons past.

Man, you guys have to stop being so butt hurt over people picking the Patriots. You're almost as bad as Pats fans with the inferiority complex. Hell, i'd rather the Patriots be the underdog in the media. That helps pump the team up.

8. Re: Did anyone just see Harrison & Buchanan on CSN?

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm lovin that everyone is jumping on the Pats bandwagon, and the case of Harrison calling for a blowout. The Ravens have to be ready to run thru some drywall after hearing all this blowhard BS crap from the media all week. ESPN, NFL.com, the NFL Network, et al., I beg of you to keep this up.

Hey Rodney, stacking 8 in the box w/ the 2nd worst secondary in football is a great plan. That's freakin ingenious if I understand it correctly. It's a Swiss freakin watch.

9. Re: Did anyone just see Harrison & Buchanan on CSN?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    You are spot on w/ this. Even nice guys like Wally Williams, who, if you listen to what he says closely, would be shocked the guy actually played a down in the NFL.

How do you play 10 years in the NFL and not know what the eff you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
    Man, you guys have to stop being so butt hurt over people picking the Patriots. You're almost as bad as Pats fans with the inferiority complex. Hell, i'd rather the Patriots be the underdog in the media. That helps pump the team up.
    I agree with you on rather being seen as the underdogs, but you seem to be missing the point somewhat. It is not that people are picking the Pats to win that is grating, it's the fact that those that do believe it will be an easy win and are basing those predictions on assumptions.

For what it's worth, there's no chance Bill Belichick stacks the box with 8- you don't get to where he is in the game by underestimating an opponent based on popular perception. It doesn't even equate to the Steelers underestimating Tebow- Tebow caught them by surprise, Flacco has won games on his arm before, and will do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    I agree with you on rather being seen as the underdogs, but you seem to be missing the point somewhat. It is not that people are picking the Pats to win that is grating, it's the fact that those that do believe it will be an easy win and are basing those predictions on assumptions.

For what it's worth, there's no chance Bill Belichick stacks the box with 8- you don't get to where he is in the game by underestimating an opponent based on popular perception. It doesn't even equate to the Steelers underestimating Tebow- Tebow caught them by surprise, Flacco has won games on his arm before, and will do in the future.
    Makes it all the more sweet if/when your team proves the haters and the doubters wrong.

As for BB sticking extra DB's in the box to stop Rice out of the backfield I agree. No way it's a simple as that and he knows it. Flacco is far from the worst QB they have played and is capable of beating you over the top if you dont keep the play in front of you.

Le em all talk. Seems like thats what lots of folks do best. For me? Somehow, I think the Ravens will show up on Sunday.

And, I think that their win/loss record for the previous game this year will be understood.

Patriots= Very good offense but poor defense. Did not show ability to beat teams with winning records in regular season

Ravens_= Has trouble on the Road! Decent but not terrific offense. Outstanding defense. Never gets blown out. Wins big games against winning record teams.

I'd think that our Ravens have a chance. How does that sound everyone????