How the D will play in the backfield.

Firstly expect Ravens to play press coverage. Webb will be on Woelker, Williams likely on Branch, Carr-Gorrer on Ocho
    Or Hernandez. Jimmy Smith will likely cover Gronk. Good matchup for Smith- he is much faster, physical and very long
    Bodied. The safeties Pollard and Reed will play closer to the line in previous games, more in the center of the Feild. This makes Brady's passing windows smaller or tipped or overthrown balls possible interceptions. Plus, confuses Brady cause Pollard or Ed could be a blitzer. The Ravens will play 50-50 on pass rush either rushing the Qb or playing coverage. The Ravens will make the Pats run more to beat them. Brady will see more pressure than Yates or Dalton. He won't be taking 3-5 drops like those other qb's took. Pretty much the game plan the Steelers used this year vs NE. Big matchup will be Smith on Gronkowski and other db/BA on Hernandez. Their WR's won't due much. Against the Steelers their TE's couldn't create separation, especially with Clark and Troy playing closer in the seams, makes those passes very risky for int's. Pats will likely get 20+ points but not 30. Ravens on offense will get their usual 20+ points as well per usual. Will be close game. Expect Pats to run more than we think based on the D the Ravens will show.

Re: How the D will play in the backfield.

I think Webb on Welker does make sense and do expect to see Reed and Pollard cheat a little and either play closer the line of scrimmage or crowd the middle of the field. If memory serves me correctly the Patriots are a high scoring offense without a pure deep threat. One could argue Deon Branch but he's not as explosive as he used to be. If Cary Williams shadows Deon let's hope he doesn't fall for the double move because that's been his achilles heel.
    I also expect to see Ayanbendejo play a lot. We need our best pass coveragse LBs out there.

3. Re: How the D will play in the backfield.

The Ravens will press when they can, but the Pats run a lot of bunch formations to counter that. I don't think the Ravens will assign DBs to particular players. They'll likely just assign each CB a side of the field, with Webb playing the slot. If Ayanbadejo is healthy I see him playing much more than Ellerbe this week. He'll draw the TEs in coverage a lot.

Blog Entries

I think Ed Reed will be shadowing Gronkowski a lot.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Ed Reed will be shadowing Gronkowski a lot.
    If you mean provide over the top help in shadowng him then yes this would make sense. Chuck Pagano needs to disguise his looks really well this weekend.

The steelers used 3rd and 4th cb's to cover Tight Ends with Clark and Troy playing
    tight. Pittsburgh basically took away the TE's and they lost Woodley during the game. It made Brady hold onto the ball alot longer than he wanted. Plus, dared Pats to run, then they fell behind. I just watched a taped copy of the game. Was the first time I have ever seen LeBeau play man coverage instead of his zone schemes.

Blog Entries

I definitely think taking away the middle of the field is incredibly important.

Most of Gronk's yards against the Broncos came over the middle.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I definitely think taking away the middle of the field is incredibly important.

Most of Gronk's yards against the Broncos came over the middle.
    Dawkins was out. Since he got hurt and Miller broke his hand their defense was really bad. The broncos started 2 rookie safeties who where bad. Then in that game one even got hurt. Once Dawkins went down their defense fell apart. I live in Boulder and watch many Bronco games. Dawkins is the most important player on that defense, not Champ, dumerville or miller( but Miller has not been very good since he broke his hand). Losing Dawkins and replacing him with a rookie safety to go along with a already struggling rookie safety was a bad setup.

Have the Ravens ever shifted Webb around to follow one particular receiver or does he usually play one side of the field? If they leave him on one side I could see Belichick shifting Welker to Cary Williams side and force Webb to cover Branch.