Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning



    Rookie Years
    Flacco 60% 2,971YDS 14TD 12INT 6FUM 80.3RAT
    Eli (9 games) 48% 1,043YDS 6TD 9INT 2FUM 55.4 RAT

    Year 2
    Flacco 63.1% 3,613YDS 21TD 12INT 6FUM 88.9RAT
    Eli 52.8% 3,762YDS 24TD 17INT 7FUM 75.9RAT

    Year 3
    Flacco 62.6% 3,622YDS 25TD 10INT 7FUM 93.6RAT
    Eli 57.7% 3,244YDS 24TD 18INT 7FUM 77.0RAT

    Year 4
    Flacco 57.6% 3,610YDS 20TD 10INT 9FUM 80.9RAT
    Eli 56.1% 3,336YDS 23TD 20INT 9FUM 73.9RAT

    Year 4 was 2007 for Eli. Here's what he did in the playoffs that season, which obviously culminated in a Super Bowl win over the heavily favored Patriots.

    @TB 20/27 185YDS 2TD 0INT 117.1RAT
    @DAL 12/18 163YDS 2TD 0INT 132.4RAT
    @GB(OT) 21/40 251YDS 0TD 0INT 72.0RAT
    SB vs NE 19/34 255YDS 2TD 1INT 87.3RAT

    Much of the criticisms of Eli to this point were that he's not a locker room leader, bad body language on the field, doesn't take charge, not elite, etc. Now, Eli had a pretty good running game to lean on in 2007 (Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw) and an elite defense (53 sacks). He also had good, but not great receivers (Plaxico, Toomer and Shockey). While the rush offense was prolific (2,148 YDS and 4.6/ATT), the pass blocking was mediocre (28 sacks).

    Following the SB win, Eli's career took off. 2008 saw notable statistical performance, but I wouldn't call it elite. Then 2009, 2010 and 2011 saw him throw for over 4,000YDS and at least 27TDS each year. Sometimes all it takes is patience and a big win over Tom Brady in the playoffs. Just sayin'...




  2. #2

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Good comparison, but Eli has a ring.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    781

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by TCmofo View Post
    Good comparison, but Eli has a ring.
    Yes. That trumps all.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Owings Mills
    Posts
    1,650

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by TCmofo View Post
    Good comparison, but Eli has a ring.
    The point was Eli got it in his 4th season, which if Flacco does this year would match him in years for a ring, but better stats through 4 years.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

    Section 126, Row 33




    Lets Go Flacco




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Owings Mills
    Posts
    1,650

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Here is an article on Ravens.com that also goes over first 4 years in the league with the remaining QB's...He is right on pace with the so-called "elite' QB's.

    http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...g-playoff-qbs/
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

    Section 126, Row 33




    Lets Go Flacco




  6. #6

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Good analysis, but I'm so sick of this QB comparison shit at this point. A few years back you never heard this "elite" QB catch phrase.

    Now I can't watch a show or read an article without seeing those words.

    It is a media/fantasy football construct that for some reason has caught fire.

    I do know 2 "elite" Qbs are at home sitting on their asses though.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,672

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Good analysis, but I'm so sick of this QB comparison shit at this point. A few years back you never heard this "elite" QB catch phrase.

    Now I can't watch a show or read an article without seeing those words.

    It is a media/fantasy football construct that for some reason has caught fire.

    I do know 2 "elite" Qbs are at home sitting on their asses though.

    Fantasy Football is ruining the game, IMHO. If a Qb doesn't put up ridiculous numbers, he's not considered a good one. The NFL has purposely marketed the game to target casual fans and neophytes, hence the changing of the rules to favor offense. That's one reason why discussions about football devolve into schoolyard shouting matches.




  8. #8

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Fantasy Football is ruining the game, IMHO. If a Qb doesn't put up ridiculous numbers, he's not considered a good one. The NFL has purposely marketed the game to target casual fans and neophytes, hence the changing of the rules to favor offense. That's one reason why discussions about football devolve into schoolyard shouting matches.
    Was there such a stats pissing match between Elway/Marino? I was a little young then but I don't think so.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,672

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Was there such a stats pissing match between Elway/Marino? I was a little young then but I don't think so.
    No, not really. But then again, fantasy football didn't exist then. We just marvelled at their talents. They did compare the two in terms of wins in the playoffs, where Elway trumped Marino at that point.




  10. #10

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    I'm not a fan of the "elite" catchphrase or the lack of perspective many fans and pundits exhibit. Ravens52, thank you for pointing out what I thought would be obvious to everyone.




  11. #11

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by 34wassmooth View Post
    I'm not a fan of the "elite" catchphrase or the lack of perspective many fans and pundits exhibit. Ravens52, thank you for pointing out what I thought would be obvious to everyone.
    You would think if Joe wins a SB this year it would quiet critics, but it won't.

    Eli still got criticized after he won his SB. Hell he threw 25 INTs last year. The only reason his stats blew up this year is their running fell to shit for a good chunk of the season.

    Winning a SB still won't silence Joe's critics. But I don't really care - I just want the SB.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    781

    Re: Comparing the career arcs of Joe Flacco and Eli Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Winning a SB still won't silence Joe's critics. But I don't really care - I just want the SB.
    This.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland