Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webbie vs Welker

This will be the most important matchup of the game.

I would assume we would place Webbie on Welker, maybe they have other plans, but i would assume Webbie will be matched up on Welker for most of the game.

Everyone wants to talk about the tightends, but the key is Welker, if we can put 1 guy on him, and eliminate him that way. It gives this defense so much flexibility. I will almost not even be watching the game, and just focus on this matchup.

BTW Chris Colingsworth just gave Webb a huge shoutout on first take.. he went out of his way to compliment him, and how he has just as big an impact on the back end as Ed.... High praise.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

Re: Webbie vs Welker

Webb is the only logical choice to cover Welker. Those guys really are very similar to each other. That's going to be one of the best matchups of the game.

Webbie deserves all the credit he gets!

Great talent!!

4. Re: Webbie vs Welker

I don't know BP. Welker is definitely someone to worry about, but the most important matchup has to be not letting Gronkowski repeat his three TD performance from last week. Welker's numbers against Denver were pretty pedestrian considering how much offense the Patriots put up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    I don't know BP. Welker is definitely someone to worry about, but the most important matchup has to be not letting Gronkowski repeat his three TD performance from last week. Welker's numbers against Denver were pretty pedestrian considering how much offense the Patriots put up.
    The idea is, stop Welker with minimal effort, leaving you with more options to stop Gronk and Hernandez. In that Broncos game, those Tight Ends were running WIDE OPEN on a few of those TDs, Gronk wasn't even touched up the middle... You can tell they definitely paid attention to Welker. I don't know what type of coverage they were playing on Gronk, but it seemed like zone, because they never really lined up a guy directly on him. If we can eliminate Welker with 1 guy. It makes the game that much easier for us on offense. That is why the Jets have such success against the Pats, or the Steelers earlier in the season. They eliminated Welker with just 1 guy. It opens up your options on defense.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

6. Re: Webbie vs Welker

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    The idea is, stop Welker with minimal effort, leaving you with more options to stop Gronk and Hernandez. In that Broncos game, those Tight Ends were running WIDE OPEN on a few of those TDs, Gronk wasn't even touched up the middle... You can tell they definitely paid attention to Welker. I don't know what type of coverage they were playing on Gronk, but it seemed like zone, because they never really lined up a guy directly on him. If we can eliminate Welker with 1 guy. It makes the game that much easier for us on offense. That is why the Jets have such success against the Pats, or the Steelers earlier in the season. They eliminated Welker with just 1 guy. It opens up your options on defense.
    That's a really good point. I think Webb can handle Welker. Somewhere Webb turned into a real deal CB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    :word

Dead on

Yea i can see Webb playing Welker for the most part. I would also like to see Chris Carr working that slot. The TE's are the biggest mismatches for them though.

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Yea i can see Webb playing Welker for the most part. I would also like to see Chris Carr working that slot. The TE's are the biggest mismatches for them though.
    Yowsa. They sure are. We have to be ready to double team Gronkowski if it comes to that. Bellicheat has been winning w/ his TEs for a while now and is gonna make someone stop him.

The Pats wideouts, then seem to cluster around 2 profiles: [more] Smurfish : Edelman, Woodhead or JarJar Been Elvis if split, wide, or in motion & Welker; vs. [more] veteran route runners: Branch, OchoStinko, Welker can play this role, too. . I don't think we could keep Webb on Welker the whole game. Welker in the slot is gonna have to draw somebody else.

They say in tRavens Insider that Carr was a healthy scratch v. Houston ( probably ST-related [and Gorrer made an ST play IIRC],as well as DL-related as suggested in the blog. We definitely could use a healthy Carr vs. the Pats, especially their smurfish WRs. Haruki gets snaps as nickle & dime DB, also. All hands on deck!
    Last edited by Tucker: M&T Sec 527; 01-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Yeah, Chris Carr on Welker could work too. He's cut from the same cloth as Welker-smallish, shifty, quick laterally, etc. Gronk is the most glaring mismatch. Who is going to cover him? Pollard? That makes me a little nervous.

Blog Entries

I just hope that Pagano actually has Webb shadow Welker. The Ravens don't really do that much, Williams and Webb pretty much stay on their respective sides...I think that should change this week.

Webb on Walker makes the most sense. Their TEs do the most damage in the red zone. If there's any game to play press coverage it's now. The key is keep the Patriots away from the red zone and limit them to FGs and perhaps an occassionally long TD. I would rather them score this way instead of consistently being the red zone all day where their TEs do their most damage
    We need to steal a page from the Jet's playbook from last year when they beat the Pats in the playoffs. Rex said Jimmy Leonard came up with a suggestion and it worked brillianty. Something about flooding the zone with extra DBs I think.