Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Did the bye week make the Ravens offense a little rusty?

I don't really buy into the "rust" factor- like someone else said, they had 4 days off- not a big deal- and i also don't buy into the fact that the Ravens were "nervous". they play on the National stage a lot- and are used to playing in big games. We were what we usually are.

And I've never been a Cam basher- I think he's above average, but I honestly exptected that we should have come out with at least 5-10 plays that we haven't seen before since he had an extra week to prepare, but it was the same ol vanilla schemes- way too much run on early downs, and throw on 3rd and long- and too may deep passes. I don't understand why he doesn't try to get Joe into a rhythm more by throwing more shorter and intermediate passes and let them run. Very little motion or shifiting. I expected to see something different for the playoff game with a week off, and it was the same ol thing. Disappointing. Even when i was in HS, our coach would always add in 3 or 4 new plays every week of the season, but I just don't see that with out offense. If we try to go up to NE with the exact same routes/schemes that we've been runnning all season, it will be a long day.

Blog Entries

Out of the four teams that played, New England was the only one that did not have an issue with dropped passes. However, considering that this has been the theme for a while, I am not sure how much I would consider this theory a heavy favorite. Perhaps, in Boldin's case, because this is his first game back. Then, perhaps, Torrey and Ed were nervous. I really don't know what to make of it. The team likely has a better feel for what was going on. Personally, I think that it was more of Houston's defense coming out with the intensity that they did, but I am not sure how that equates to the drops.

I do not think that New England's defense could hold a candle to Houston's, so they will have a chance to fix the problems Sunday.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Yes, to much time practicing soft. Needed to have a hard hitting game to keep the adrenaline going and keep them in the right mind frame. Time off helped the hurt, but made them soft. Just like the Packers, who had the one of the most dominating offenses this year. Great stats for Rodgers but he is one and done. Same for Brees and Pig Ben, now the talking heads are hoping brady can win.Ravens are back on track after this last game and have renewed their adrenaline rush needed to go to the SB. Hope it is a sunny game day because brady will need sunglasses after looking up in the sky after Suggs has his way with him.
    With the later start time, not sure how much of a factor the sun will be.

4. Re: Did the bye week make the Ravens offense a little rusty?

cam makes the offense looks rusty because the offense never gets in a flow or rythm. Not to mention the o line was getting blasted all day.

5. Re: Did the bye week make the Ravens offense a little rusty?

Eh, they always are either hot or cold. They could come out and look like they're going to hang 40 on a defense, and all of a sudden sputter out. We just have to hope they catch on fire come Sunday and stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    They really only had like 4 days off so no, it gave them a chance to get healthy. It's not like this is the first game they've dropped passes. It got them healthy.
    ^ This. It's always a balancing act between rhythm/momentum and rest when it comes to the playoff bye week. This year the Ravens had serious injury problems as well as routine wear & tear and fatigue. Ray does not have the game he had w/o a week of rest for his toe. Ditto Reed & shoulder, And imagine the game w/o Boldin? The OL laid some eggs but at least Grubbs can still push off and Yanda is closer to being able to stand upright w/o pain. My thesis is keep playing (rhythm), especially if you were scrapping to make the playoffs, unless you have key injuries that will benefit from rest(e.g. 2011 Ravens).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    cam makes the offense looks rusty because the offense never gets in a flow or rythm. Not to mention the o line was getting blasted all day.
    has cam heard of quick high percentage passes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    Eh, they always are either hot or cold. They could come out and look like they're going to hang 40 on a defense, and all of a sudden sputter out. We just have to hope they catch on fire come Sunday and stay that way.
    It seems like they used to make great adjustments at half time but this year not so much.

No, it was an average offense against a top shelf defense, pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by micadrz400 View Post
    No, it was an average offensive coordinator against a top shelf defensive coordinator, pretty simple.
    Fixed.

Running a high school offensive scheme against an nfl type defense will make you look rusty

I think in the Raven's case they came off a cream-puff bye week and played a team on an emotional high coming off their first ever playoff win. Coupled with the fact that Houston's front 7 is really good and well coached.

We were lucky to advance.