Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens want Rice, Flacco might have to wait

Joe is not the most important player on the offense so he needs to get in line. He is a game manager who can throw the occasional laser to a speedy WR or dump some balls off to Rice. He is good enough to keep long term, I think. I do think the Ravens management should keep an eye on the draft for a good QB who drops down into the later rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Casserly also said Birk is retiring this year. I call BS on Casserly.
    So did Birk, who said he's never talked to Casserly or even knows him after Casserly said Birk was retiring.

Blog Entries

I think they sign Flacco to a long term deal this offseason, and the FO is probably half-hoping he doesn't light it up (but the Ravens still win). More modest numbers might knock a few mil off the deal.

I expect Ozzie will get both Rice and Flacco done.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I do think the Ravens management should keep an eye on the draft for a good QB who drops down into the later rounds...
    Never going to happen! Ozzie got a Troy Smith replacement last year in Tyrod Taylor: young and cheap. There is no way that the Ravens will waste a draft pick anytime soon on another QB project. At best, the front office may revisit going with just 2 QBs on the roster ... then pick up a scrub free agent.

After the deal is done with Flacco, this franchise will be set at the QB position for the next 5 years.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    How would signing him this off-season be different than waiting a year...
    Greg, by 2013 both Ray and Reed may retire, and that would free up a lot of cap room... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    They can pay both of them. In fact, signing Flacco to a long-term deal will likely reduce his 2012 Cap number.

I doubt they let him play out his contract. If they did and couldn't re-sign him in time, they'd have to franchise him and the franchise number for a QB is prohibitive.
    They could always get Flacco done during the season. Other teams do that, sometimes even with big contracts. That's what the Bills did with Fitzpatrick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Joe is not the most important player on the offense so he needs to get in line. He is a game manager who can throw the occasional laser to a speedy WR or dump some balls off to Rice. He is good enough to keep long term, I think. I do think the Ravens management should keep an eye on the draft for a good QB who drops down into the later rounds...
    The Ravens did draft a good QB who dropped into the later rounds last year and he's still on the team and was so impressive they didn't feel the need for a 3rd QB for the roster.

Blog Entries

Bisciotti said Flacco's new contract would get done. Guess what? It will get done. Like Ravor said, it probably won't happen until the summer or maybe into next season.

Rice and Grubbs are priority right now. Flacco is next.

All of you Flacco haters out there better get on board or find another team because he isn't going anywhere.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bisciotti said Flacco's new contract would get done. Guess what? It will get done. Like Ravor said, it probably won't happen until the summer or maybe into next season.

Rice and Grubbs are priority right now. Flacco is next.

All of you Flacco haters out there better get on board or find another team because he isn't going anywhere.
    Why would he? Hes only the most winning qb in the league through his first 4 seasons and has won a playoff game in each. Who would want that on their team? Flacco will get 70-90 million and a very long deal. Hes our qb.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Why would he? Hes only the most winning qb in the league through his first 4 seasons and has won a playoff game in each. Who would want that on their team? Flacco will get 70-90 million and a very long deal. Hes our qb.
    Agreed.

What other QB is 27 or younger, available, and better than Flacco?

Answer = none.

11. Re: Ravens want Rice, Flacco might have to wait

This is another reason why the Ravens have been in the playoffs the last four years. They make the right moves with the right players. Flacco is going to have to wait, and he should wait. If I'm the Ravens I'd be worried to death about paying Flacco and him pulling a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Flacco isn't even making a strong case for himself. Yeah he's been in a lot of playoff games, but aside from KC when has he ever been the reason the Ravens won?

A respectable deal for Flacco will run close to 80 million dollars if the Ravens are going to make the investment. Right now though I wouldn't feel good at all about investing that kind of salary and cap space on an unproven QB at this point. Unproven meaning his salary elevates him to what a good keeper QB costs. Or he's Ryan Fitzpatrick. Or he can just go to NE and do what is not that difficult to do. I hope Flacco doesn't looked like the QB stumped by an atrocious defense. He needs to distinguish himself in a positive way on Sunday if he wants any leverage. He hasn't backed up any of his talk either. I like Flacco, and it's too much of a gamble to think the Ravens can do better. It's his fourth year though, and it's go time. The Ravens might not get a chance this good again for a long time.

Unfortunately Flacco looks like the wildcard in the AFC Championship. The Ravens will go as he goes. If he wants to get paid like one of the big boys this is where he can make a case to earn it. For now they know they can still go into next season winning games with Ray Rice and defense. Ray has not made a peep about a new deal publicly, and I'm sure the Ravens will show him they appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    This is another reason why the Ravens have been in the playoffs the last four years. They make the right moves with the right players. Flacco is going to have to wait, and he should wait. If I'm the Ravens I'd be worried to death about paying Flacco and him pulling a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Flacco isn't even making a strong case for himself. Yeah he's been in a lot of playoff games, but aside from KC when has he ever been the reason the Ravens won?
    Sunday against the Texans? 2 TD's, 0 INT's, a slew of dropped passes, running for his life every other snap...getting sacked something like 6 times...no push from the OL to get Rice going...

Flacco was the best offensive player on Sunday. Without him making those throws the Ravens don't win that game.