Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Ravens want Rice, Flacco might have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    The question I think that people honestly need to ask themselves is how many more games do you think they could win with one or the other. Rice is an NFL superstar. Flacco is not. A decent veteran free agent QB could play at Flacco's current level if he doesn't like playing out his rookie deal deciding he'll become a FA. The Ravens could survive. There aren't a lot players like Ray Rice. There are a lot of quarterbacks like Flacco.
    Until this year, I don't think that was true. His progression over his 1st 3 years was solid. This year, he has regressed a bit (although not as much as some want to make it out to be, IMO). The question for the Ravens is whether that is a trend or an aberration?

While I think they know he has some warts, I do think that they do believe in him. As such, there is no reason to let him play out his contract. Doing so would put them at his mercy as a pending FA - either give me what I want or tag me. Neither of those options would be appealing from a Cap perspective.

So, IMO, it needs to get done before the start of next season. It can wait for now (being Feb-May), but needs to get done over the summer. They've told him they want to re-sign him, but he's got to wait (like everyone else). The summer should be the end of that wait.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

The Ravens treat all their players the same.
    Flacco will get a solid, market-value offer when his contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    The point is that Flacco personally accounted for 3600 yards of passing offense with an arsenal of Rice, receivers, and tight ends. Rice had over 2000 yards from scrimmage on his own. Take away Rice this season and Flacco doesn't even throw for 3000 yards.
    I'm sorry, but that is just an idiotic comment. Take away Rice, and they throw to some other back or receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Agreed.

What other QB is 27 or younger, available, and better than Flacco?

Answer = none.

If someone is going to give Matt Flynn $7-8 Million - for his lifetime achievement of winning 1 meaningless game for Green Bay you can bet the farm that Flacco is going to get upwards of $80 million with a $10-15 Million signing bonus. He will get his contract BEFORE the start of the 2012 season - IRRESPECTIVE of how Sunday's game turns out. If winning 49 games in his first 4 years was so easy to do why has Joe been the only one to accomplish that in the history of the NFL.

I like Ray Rice a lot - but running backs are EXPENDABLE. The Ravens can sign Flacco and franchise Rice if they have to for the next couple of years (through his remaining prime productive running years). Putting a lot of money into a long term contract for a running back is a fools errand. Show me one example where that's worked.

5. Re: Ravens want Rice, Flacco might have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is just an idiotic comment. Take away Rice, and they throw to some other back or receivers.
    It would be great if you can stop quoting my posts. I'd appreciate it. You're rude and you debate like a five year old.

The is no infallible way to make assertions Flacco would be able to even survive, let alone just spread receiving yards to someone else when he only completed 57.6% of his passes with Ray Rice.

Weren't you the guy who stormed off the board last year after throwing a massive temper tantrum, vowing you'd never be back?..... And then you were back a week later? That was funny.

6. Re: Ravens want Rice, Flacco might have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Now I have to clean up the coffee I just spit out.
    Playing the odd man for a second....

Rexy did get to a Superbowl with the Bears.... Just saying.

Its fair to say that this is the most important week in Joe Flacco's career. For more than one thing, for his contract situation, and also for his reputation, and for his team.

If he owns up to the moment and gets this team to a Superbowl. It would be almost impossible to not get him a contract. If he fails, then he will have to play out his contract, and basically play lights out next year to be paid like he wants to.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

If he plays ligth out next year, we will need to overpay him like Ben, Brady and Peyton, better overpay him now like Eli, Fitzpatrick or Cutler.

Blog Entries

Flacco and Rice both get contracts this offseason. I don't foresee either one getting a kings ransom. Flacco will prob take that Cassel type contract, and Rice will get his also.

LOL at people talking about Grubbs. He's gone after this year. The Ravens already paid Yanda, no way do they tie up that much money at the G position, when you can move Yanda over to LG and not miss a beat and add in a mauler at RG out of the draft. Hell go scrape up Cousins whereever he's at because he'd be a monster RG.

Blog Entries

If we don't sign Rice and Grubbs (or use franchise tag), they're both UFAs and we lose one or both. So IMO they are priority. Ozzie gave Flacco a 5 year rookie contract, so the Ravens still have control through 2012. I don't think Joe gets his next contract until after the 2012 season... Bc

Blog Entries

I think Grubbs is gone after this year, unless something crazy happens and the market for really good left guards is soft.