End of game review

I haven't heard anything about the review at the end of the game which took the 1st down away from the Ravens and ultimately forced them to punt. Harbaugh said after the game he didn't even know they were reviewing it but thought it was a t.v. timeout.

I thought it was odd because I thought in the last two minutes, "upstairs" only reviewed scores or turnovers. What instigated them reviewing the placement of the ball and what prevents them from then, doing it after every play within the last two minutes? Seems like an odd precedent unless there was something special to instigate it?

Also, how many people left thinking the Ravens would be able to just take a knee? A lot of folks left around us and it looked like fans all around the stadium were filing out. Imagine leaving thinking the Ravens had won to only find out that the Ravens had to punt and Houston scores to tie it up?

Blog Entries

Re: End of game review

I think every play is reviewed during the final two minutes. That's why there are no challenges, not just on scoring plays but on any play.

When the Ravens got the 1st down,I told my wife that the game was over. I left my seat because I had to piss like there was no tomorrow. In the men's room I could barely hear them saying on the play-by play something about a booth review.I was like,What!!! Came out and stared in disbelief at the TV on the concourse. The whole time I'm thinking my wife must be wondering why I told her the game was over.

I don't really understand why every thinks this is so terrible. Every play is the booth official's decision inside of 2 minutes, and Rice quite clearly did not pick up the first down (it really wasn't even close, the spot was in our favor, but horrendous from an objective point of view). The system worked exactly like it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw600 View Post
    I don't really understand why every thinks this is so terrible. Every play is the booth official's decision inside of 2 minutes, and Rice quite clearly did not pick up the first down (it really wasn't even close, the spot was in our favor, but horrendous from an objective point of view). The system worked exactly like it should have.
    So if the system worked fine why don't they just review every play during the entire game? The system does not work fine when Rice is lying on top of the ball you can not tell that the farthest point of the ball was at the 12 and 1/3 yard line so we will move the ball 2/3 of a yard back! That is bullshit. Part of the problem with poor officiating is that the officials are using Instant Replay as a crutch, meaning if they don't get it right the booth will and we all know that ain't happening either. It was a bullshit move by the officials on the field and in the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    So if the system worked fine why don't they just review every play during the entire game? The system does not work fine when Rice is lying on top of the ball you can not tell that the farthest point of the ball was at the 12 and 1/3 yard line so we will move the ball 2/3 of a yard back! That is bullshit. Part of the problem with poor officiating is that the officials are using Instant Replay as a crutch, meaning if they don't get it right the booth will and we all know that ain't happening either. It was a bullshit move by the officials on the field and in the booth.
    Let me clarify: the call on the field was terrible. It was very clear on replay exactly where the farthest point of the ball was (at least on TV). Rice didn't even really get close to the 1st down marker. The call on the field should have been 3rd down from the get-go, regardless of whether there was a review or not.

Now, as to why they don't do that the entire game, that is what the challenge system is for (in addition to preventing the game from lasting forever). If that had been outside of two minutes, I have no doubt that it would have been challenged and overturned in the same manner. As for every play, I'm fairly positive that you are not allowed to challenge or review a spot unless a 1st down or touchdown is in question. This one was, however (and a pretty important one at that, since it was determining whether or not the game was, in effect, over), and should have been reviewed as such.

They got the call right, and yes they should have called it right on the field, but this is why we have replay. What more do you want?

Blog Entries

He didn't get the first so it's hard to complain about the refs getting the call correctly.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!