I thought Rich Eisen was smarter than this...

He just said it's never before happened before that the home team has won all 8 games in the WC and Division round, so the odds are (paraphrasing) either the Texans or Giants will win.

This is a case where the statement is might be true, but for completely the wrong reasons. If the Packers and Ravens each had a 70% chance to win, the chance of both winning would be 49%, but it doesn't have anything to do with the results of the other 6 games.

BTW, I have not seen any book offering this wager, but if you do want to bet that either or both of the Texans or Giants will win, the odds implied by the individual games, say that's about a 44% chance.

Re: I thought Rich Eisen was smarter than this...

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    He just said it's never before happened before that the home team has won all 8 games in the WC and Division round, so the odds are (paraphrasing) either the Texans or Giants will win.

This is a case where the statement is might be true, but for completely the wrong reasons. If the Packers and Ravens each had a 70% chance to win, the chance of both winning would be 49%, but it doesn't have anything to do with the results of the other 6 games.

BTW, I have not seen any book offering this wager, but if you do want to bet that either or both of the Texans or Giants will win, the odds implied by the individual games, say that's about a 44% chance.
    Most people have a terrible understanding of statistics: "It came up black 6 times in a row - so it's MUCH more likely to come up red this time, right?" Ahh, no.

Come on you guys, don't you know it's really hard to beat a team three times?

Even after you've already beaten them twice? ;)

I think Rich Eisen is just trying to spark up a topic.

Anyway, laws of probability do come into play. At some point it is likely to go the other way even though each individual game is not likely to. Did that make any sense?

Blog Entries

Eisen is just another talking head. He's good at it but the man is there more for his one liners than his knowledge of the game.

6. Re: I thought Rich Eisen was smarter than this...

Eisen knows the truth, that the Texans will win CONVINCINGLY today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Texans Messiah View Post
    I'll have what you're having. You're obviously high. Or drunk. Or both.

Blog Entries

Looks like we have a troll who is going to be spreading shit on all the threads throughout the game.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Texans Messiah View Post
    Yeah, a convincing MORAL victory! How about some sobering realism that will pin them to the ground? In the long run, the Texans and their fans shall benefit in the great game of life.

Come on Houston. Teams don't win the Superbowl the first time they make the playoffs.

Well, the Ravens did, but that's different.