Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Draft Gaither

RAVENS DRAFT MARYLAND’S GAITHER

The Baltimore Ravens selected Maryland’s outstanding tackle Jared Gaither in today’s NFL Supplemental Draft. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome selected Gaither with the 31st pick in the fifth round. (Choosing Gaither now replaces the Ravens’ 5th-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft). Gaither, 6-9 and 340 pounds, started 17 of his final 21 games at either right or left tackle in his freshman and sophomore seasons for the Terps.

Newsome had this to say about drafting Gaither: “First, this is another very good job done by Eric (DeCosta) and our scouts working year-round to improve our team. They were able to put together thorough evaluations on what Jared had done so far at Maryland. Also, give some credit to Steve (Bisciotti) who set me up with Ralph Friedgen. Ralph thinks highly of the young man, and gave excellent background on him,” Newsome said. “Jared has a chance to play in this league, even at a high level. It would have been interesting to see how high he would have gone in the draft had he played one or two more seasons at Maryland. He’s got size and ability. He wants to start working with us right away and our coaches will make that happen.”

Re: Ravens Draft Gaither

This is huge! In the FIFTH round? For future pro bowl potential, this is a masterstroke by Ozzie and co.

Blog Entries

I'm more suprised that the Ravens actually took someone from MD in the draft!

The last MD player we took in the draft...Jermaine Lewis. He was also the last MD player to make a roster, let's hope Gaither can do that too.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Good to see the Maryland boys playing for the home team!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Good to see the Maryland boys playing for the home team!
    And I hope someone does not come on here saying that Maryland is more of a DC school than Baltimore school. It is the University of MARYLAND, and not the University of D.C. (which is an actual school). This kid benched 225 thirty times and has been compared to JO and Marcus McNeil. Also, his grades suffered because he did not attend class and not because of his intelligence. I think we have something here with this kid.

With Troy Smith, Antwaan Barnes, Prescott Burgess, and now Jared Gaither, the 4th quarter of our Preseason games are going to be very interesting.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

6. Re: Ravens Draft Gaither

stroke of genius by the wizard of oz. at worst, he's a starter in year two. don't forget the kid is young. had he stayed in school, most experts feel he could have been a first-rounder. plus, he doesn't have to play at all this year.

I was as big a proponent as any, btu aat worst the guy is Mike Williams, he truly could flop and flail. But, IMO his ceiling is as high as there is, and that is a huge value at this position. BY '09, IMO he will be a solid to potentially great RT, that can slide to the left if necessary. If that is true, that would be unbelieveable value.
    This continues one HECK of a youth movement on the OL, and alos one HECK of a "Draft". I could easily see every single player we have drafted this year in potential contributing roles. Burgess, and Smith, and Gaither have the highest chance of becoming nobodies, funny thing, they also require the least to obtain, and retain. Ozzie is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    This kid benched 225 thirty times and has been compared to JO and Marcus McNeil.
    I am as excited as any, but he benched only 16 times in his workout on Monday, so he is in bad shape right now. Don't expect much of him for quite awhile, as he learns the system and gets himself into shape. He is an investment for the future.

He was also the last MD player to make a roster, let's hope Gaither can do that too.
    I assume you mean last Terp to make a Ravens roster, as there are about 30 Terps in the NFL right now. But you are forgetting TE Rob Abiamiri is on our roster right now, he's a Terp.

Quote Originally Posted by awalt View Post
    I am as excited as any, but he benched only 16 times in his workout on Monday, so he is in bad shape right now. Don't expect much of him for quite awhile, as he learns the system and gets himself into shape. He is an investment for the future.

From what I read a poor number was expected due to a recent shoulder injury that was thought to be pretty much harmless over the next coupel fo months.

10. Re: Ravens Draft Gaither

Gaither is the next Jonathan Ogden...Only in the eyes of Ravens fan.. Let's not get too carried away with this people! Everyone here in the Land Of Pleasant Living, always wants to make possible players into Hall of Famers Let's see what Gaither has got before we dub him the next J.O..OK?

To get him for a 5th is incredible. If he turns into a servicable LT for the next 5 to 10 years this will be an incredible steal for Ozzie. If he matures into his massive frame both physically and mentally and makes a few pro bowls then this could go down as the best steal in Ravens draft history.
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Does anyone have the 'skinny' on his apparent lack of academic skill?
    Is he 'thick as a house-brick' or just has issues?

Is he a Ravens fan ?