Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smarter Stats: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens: Via Doug Farrar, Yahoo Sports

Doug Farrar used to work for Football Outsiders and now is editor of the Yahoo Sports Shutdown Corner blog. Thought this is a reasonable article.
    Smarter Stats: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

Lots of good stuff on this if you are a X/O person. Please read the whole article before judging it based on the following conclusion which I think is fair:

Yates has been a game manager (yes, I hate that term, but it applies in this case) whose efficiency has gone down the more he throws downfield. However, against the Bengals, he completed four of the eight passes he threw for over 15 yards, including a touchdown to Andre Johnson. If Yates can maintain his development and the Texans can keep Ray Lewis on any kind of string, Houston has a good shot at taking this game. As it has been with the San Francisco 49ers, the Texans don't get the credit they deserve for being creative in their offense because they put the run first. Baltimore should be favored, but to underestimate the Texans would be a fool's errand. They're a different -- and better -- team than they were in Week 6.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Smarter Stats: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens: Via Doug Farrar, Yahoo Sports

That is all well and good but we beat the 49ers as well. We have beaten each and every playoff team we have faced. Looking past a team is our biggest problem and I don't think that will happen this week.

Re: Smarter Stats: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens: Via Doug Farrar, Yahoo Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
    Doug Farrar used to work for Football Outsiders and now is editor of the Yahoo Sports Shutdown Corner blog. Thought this is a reasonable article.
    Smarter Stats: Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

Lots of good stuff on this if you are a X/O person. Please read the whole article before judging it based on the following conclusion which I think is fair:
    I think it's a reasonable analysis. The two things it doesn't seem to take into account are the home field advantage and the extra week's rest/preparation. In a fairly even match up, I think those two factors should result in a Ravens win. Done deal? No, of course not. Cliches sometimes make sense, and the "on any given Sunday" one almost always applies in the NFL.

Damn the second I post the PFF article she is googling away to dig up some positive stats to hold on to.

If I really wanted to waste any more time, I could throw up about 50 different stats about young QB's coming into M and T with a hell of a lot more than 5 or 6 games under their belt and how we destroyed them.

The only stat that matters is the "W" at the end of the game. The Ravens have 12 of them, including all 8 opportunities at home this year. In 6 of those 12 victories, Flacco wasn't even the QB with the most passing yards. That's how little the Yates v. Flacco thing matters.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

If I really wanted to waste any more time, I could throw up about 50 different stats about young QB's coming into M and T with a hell of a lot more than 5 or 6 games under their belt and how we destroyed them.
    Spergon Wynn, baby! I just saw a bit of his dismantling on The Brady 6. Can you believe he was picked ahead of Brady? It was the Clowns, so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Spergon Wynn, baby! I just saw a bit of his dismantling on The Brady 6. Can you believe he was picked ahead of Brady? It was the Clowns, so . . .
    I did see that last night!

I thought Andonazelli or whatever the hell his name is was going to be a star too, so I can see how he went ahead of him. But he was definitely no Spurgeon Wynn, or Chris Redman for that matter.

Blog Entries

How about this one?

* BALTIMORE -7.5, over Houston. comment: The extra week helps the Ravens. Being at home, where they’re outstanding, really helps them. As much as I’m worried about Joe Flacco’s confidence, which is more fragile than it should be, I believe in Sugar Ray, T-Sizzle and that defense. Arian Foster has little chance. T.J. Yates has no chance.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Damn the second I post the PFF article she is googling away to dig up some positive stats to hold on to.

Actually, I didn't Google anything. I posted them in my Twitter timeline earlier in the day. I know the authors of these posts, and I like reading what they write. I know the folks at PFF too, and I hadn't seen that Yates article and it was interesting to read it here.

Ultimately, I prefer to talk about football and not neener neenering other posters. I come in peace. I cannot say the same about my favorite football team but that is sport.

Houstons best chance is to score early and get a lead. If the Ravens score first and get up by 10 the game is as good as done.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why u think the texans are better now than week 6! I thought the texans were the best team in the NFL b4 all the injuries ! U guys had a strong enough system that u won some games after Matt went down but even a chicken will run around without his head for a moment. I get it matt isnt the head but Y'all struggled down the stretch though! and the problem with getting too high about last week is for one it was last week and two the bengals haven't beaten anyone all year!

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
    They're a different -- and better -- team than they were in Week 6.
    I'm sick of people saying this for reasons that I can only assume are meant to be polite. The Texans are most certainly worse now than they were back then. In Week 6, they had Matt Schaub. In the playoffs, they have a rookie who really hasn't been that good. That's it. No supposed "improvement" (and some of the "improvements mentioned are quite contrived) makes up for the dropoff in quarterback play. And then there's the three game losing streak to end the season that everyone somehow forgot about. If the Texans are so much better now than they were with Schaub, why did that losing streak happen? Because they aren't better.