Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Come on season ticket holders, do NOT sell your seats to brokers

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm starting to think there may be slightly more Texans fans than people think.

Watching the news here and there are a TON of folks making the trip.
    I have no idea how many are going. I've been hearing from a lot of DC area Texans fans, a lot of east coast fans who can drive to the game, many tailgate, message board fans going.

We have been waiting for a long time. Given the history of Ravens QBs, you can understand the pain we felt paying to watch David Carr play from 2002-2006.

I was surprised how little very good tickets cost relatively speaking. If you amortize it over your lifetime as a Houston football fan, it is very cheap. Or compared to what good Rockets/Astros playoff tickets cost back in the day when the they were any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Now that I think about this, it's logistically impossible for "thousands" of Texans fans to fly up here for the game, and the drive is 1400 miles, so they sure as hell aren't driving here..

There aren't that many Texans fans in this area either. At the game in week 6, I think i saw 3 of them and I'm being serious.

I think that smarmy broker was just being an asswipe because he was on TV. Probably trying to get Ravens fans to call in and buy the big stack of tickets he can't unload.
    I know of some folks who are driving.

Start/leave times are being staged to get to the various DC area airports.

Continental Tuesday discount fares made the air tickets more reasonable.

Know San Antonio, Austin, South Texas, West Texas folks flying in too. Some Dallas folks, or folks that are driving to Dallas to get cheaper fares to fly in.

If I was going to guess, I would say 3000-6000 fans. But that would be a total wild ass guess because this is our first road playoff game.

I think you are over reacting. I never have or never will sell my seats, but I would be surprised if there were more than a thousand or so Texan fans who got their tickets from the broker. It wil not matter as they will be overwhelmed by the Raven fans. I understand that some have to sell their seats to pay for a possible AFC championship game or next years seats.
    No need to worry about Ravens fans. We will be LOUD on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    My ex-boss has 4 psl and season ticket plans. He would buy the maximum amount of extra tickets he was allowed for every home game. He then sold the extra tickets on ebay for a profit and usually made enough money to pay for his own personal tickets for the year. The big name games always brought a premium price.
    That's what happens everywhere. Fans try to justify re-sales to say it is how they finance their season tickets. Ultimately, if you resell your tickets to the highest bidder without ensuring they are going to the home fanbase, you are a garbage fan.

That being said, I am very very happy a garbage Ravens fan re-sold the ticket I received. :)

I am by nature a capitalist so I do not criticize using the market for profit. It may irritate me if there are other fans in the seats, but "Greed is good".

Besides, I have a guy in front of me who has several tickets and uses the extra to pay for his. A couple of years ago there were Steelers' fans in his seats and he took a lot of incoming in the next game. He swore that he sold the tickets to a guy that he knew was a Ravens fan, but the guy then flipped them for a profit. Unless you limit your market, there is no way to control the selling rules. I buy to take family and sell to family or my Tailgate group. If the ticket owners do not limit the enemy interlopers, then so be it. If the Ravens conduct a beat-down then thousands of crying fans are no big deal. The number of the enemy is only relevant if the Ravens let them be relevant.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I am by nature a capitalist so I do not criticize using the market for profit. It may irritate me if there are other fans in the seats, but "Greed is good".

Besides, I have a guy in front of me who has several tickets and uses the extra to pay for his. A couple of years ago there were Steelers' fans in his seats and he took a lot of incoming in the next game. He swore that he sold the tickets to a guy that he knew was a Ravens fan, but the guy then flipped them for a profit. Unless you limit your market, there is no way to control the selling rules. I buy to take family and sell to family or my Tailgate group. If the ticket owners do not limit the enemy interlopers, then so be it. If the Ravens conduct a beat-down then thousands of crying fans are no big deal. The number of the enemy is only relevant if the Ravens let them be relevant.
    I'm great with capitalism. But people who sell their tickets to the highest bidder without even trying to make sure they go to home fans are great capitalists....and garbage fans. That's the truth.

7. Re: Come on season ticket holders, do NOT sell your seats to brokers

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
    I'm great with capitalism. But people who sell their tickets to the highest bidder without even trying to make sure they go to home fans are great capitalists....and garbage fans. That's the truth.
    And thus, you're not what you say.

So if I have a widget that's in high demand and it has a strong emotional attachment to many people, other folks and their emotions trump my right to make a buck or two?

Highly doubt any of us will even notice a contingent of Texans fans aside from the few that will be in your individual section. As has been said time and again, there is really never a significant group of any visiting fans, Steelers included. News stories in Houston feature one family going to the game does not mean there are plane loads coming here. The playoffs are new for the Texans so the fact that maybe a handful of people are making the trip will make the news, unlike here where thats pretty much standard procedure that our fans travel.

I can't believe there is even a thought that this would happen and I would be completely shocked if there is a sizable contingent of red and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I think that smarmy broker was just being an asswipe because he was on TV. Probably trying to get Ravens fans to call in and buy the big stack of tickets he can't unload.
    I think this is more of what's happening over anything else.

Ticket brokers are in the business to sell tickets.
    If you're sitting on an ass load of tickets and have what amounts to free advertising via the news, you'll say whatever you need to say to try and move your inventory.

I always wondered about this ticket broker thing.

At any given time you can go on-line and see a boat load of ads for availability.

There is no way they all get sold but yet on game day the stadium always appears full except for maybe a couple scattered seats here and there.

I find it hard to believe that all those tickets are getting bought up at the last second.

I also would find it hard to believe that fans coming from texas are buying them up as well with that short of notice.

Pretty damn hard to arrange travel, hotel, etc, for a road trip that far away on such short notice.
    It's different if it's something like a few hour drive like going from here to Pittsburgh, new york, etc.

Seriously doubt a couple thousand texan fans have that much of an impact on what happens if they do show anyway.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And thus, you're not what you say.

So if I have a widget that's in high demand and it has a strong emotional attachment to many people, other folks and their emotions trump my right to make a buck or two?
    Never said you didn't have a right to sell your ticket to the highest bidder to make money. America! Weeeee! And it is my right to label people who do such things whatever scummy name they are. But they aren't a good fan.

If you don't care who gets your ticket, you become a garbage fan and not a diehard. I'd rather rip my tickets up than sell them at a profit to a Cowboys fan. There's plenty of Texans fans, really good ones, I could sell my ticket to (though I always go). Maybe I don't make quite as much money, but I won't be a traitor and I won't be screwing over my friends who sit around me.

I couldn't feel good selling to an opposing fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
    If I was going to guess, I would say 3000-6000 fans. But that would be a total wild ass guess because this is our first road playoff game.
    Sweetie: I would say your wild-ass guess is just that: wild-ass. We haven't seen that type of opponent fan invasion since 1998, the year the stadium opened, with Steeler fans. We have hosted all the nearby NFL teams, from Landover to Meadowlands, all within 2 1/2 hour drive, and haven't had close to 6,000 (which would be 1:11), even though their travel costs would be significantly lower than yours.

A couple days ago I checked with Southwest, the predominant carrier into BWI. All their Saturday flights, including non-stops, from Hobby to BWI had availability. Logically, why would Texan fans fly into far out Dulles or congested Reagan if they could fly non-stop into Baltimore?

I'll stand by my initial 1,000 estimate/
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).