Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Who do you think is the most important player we drafted in 08?

Flacco. Rice is the only standout pick left, though I like Haruki. The rest have either gone or probably will go in that draft (I'm not sure if I see Zibby staying as Pollard has taken his place unless he's okay with simply being depth).

Blog Entries

Looking at that RB class vs. that QB class tells the story. There are 4 or 5 pro bowl caliber running backs that came out of that class. Every QB after Ryan and Flacco were total busts.

Blog Entries

I think the two go hand in hand...If not for Rice, Joe struggles more because he has to throw more and more. If not for Joe, Rice has the box stacked against him every play and probably misses about half the receiving yards he's had.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I agree with the sentiment that Joe is #1 and Ray Rice is #2 but not with the proviso that "it's not even close".

I think it is reasonably close. Ray Rice isn't just a good running back. He's a special talent. He may be the best RB in the NFL.

Still, in today's NFL the QB position influences games more than the RB position does, so we have to give the nod to Joe. But 2008 Joe wouldn't have become 2012 Joe if he didn't have Ray Rice for the last 4 years bailing Joe and our offense out countless times with his truly dynamic play.

Ray Rice seeing as how he's the leader of this offense and the fact that he dictates the level of offensive play. I don't understand how it could be Flacco when we all know that if Lil Ray doesn't get minimum 20-25 touches, we lose.

Its a QB driven league. Without a franchise QB you're not gonna win anything. Your could make the arguement that Rice was the more important pick, but I'll side with Joe. I don't want to go back to the decade beforehand of the horrible QB play.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Flacco is definitely #1. Stability at the QB position is the key to success. He is a big reason why the Ravens have been to the playoffs 4 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Ray Rice seeing as how he's the leader of this offense and the fact that he dictates the level of offensive play. I don't understand how it could be Flacco when we all know that if Lil Ray doesn't get minimum 20-25 touches, we lose.
    But if Willis Mcgahee were running the ball 15-25 times (with some other combinations of a 2 or 3 headed monster), it might not be quite as productive as Ray, but we'd still be a decent offense. You could also guess that Joe might be a little further along if we weren't so run-oriented as well (but that's just guessing). As someone else mentioned, the QB touches the ball on every single snap- and if he has an off day, you almost always lose. the same can't be said about a running back.

And i also think Ray is a top-3 running back, but the fact is they are the easiest position on a team to re-stock (albeit not as high caliber).

And the stat that Ray has to get 20-25 touches or we lose is the most stupid stat in football! The reason a running back gets more carries when we win IS BECAUSE EVERY TIME YOU'RE WINNING A GAME, YOU'RE RUNNING MORE, TO RUN TIME OFF THE CLOCK in the 3rd/4th quarter! It's not the only reason that the carries are up, but it's a big one. And when you fall behind by 10, 14, and 17 points YOU CAN'T KEEP running b/c you need to move the ball down the field faster, and you need the clock to stop more so that you have enough time to score.

That being said, I don't think Joe should throw more than 30 times per game with our solid running game- unless we fall behind by 2 or more scores- then he needs to pick it up, and put the team on his back.

It's definitely Joe, but I think that both are huge. Rice is a better RB than Joe is a QB, but the QB is clearly the most important position on modern NFL teams.

Overall the 2008 draft has shaped up to be one of the Ravens best - I'd say #2 after the 96 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Curious to see what people think.

2 obvious are, Joe and Ray.

I would say Joe, and honestly its not close, because we know first hand what its like to search a decade for a Legitimate QB, No offense to Ray Rice, i love him, but it seems in today's NFL if you don't have a solid Franchise QB you cant win, and Running backs are almost a dime a dozen in today's NFL.

Its funny to think even though Ray has been a pro bowler, and honestly the best RB we've had since Jamal, We've seen what this offense looks like with a shitty QB, and a hell of a back.
    Are you this bored? Seriously?

Just look at the carnage around the league at the Head Coaching position over the past 3-4 years. What is in common? They were losing ALOT (:girlfight for you English majors) because of? THEIR QUARTERBACK!

Since Harbs was hired in 2008:

Sparano and Zorn are toast. The next year hires, Todd Haley, Jim Mora, Tom Cable, Josh McDaniels, Mangini, Morris, Spagnolo, and Singletary (Caldwell is on the precipice) = "Back to coordinator positions, you losers!"

Why? They couldn't develop a QB to help their teams win consistently like the Patriots, Colts, Packers.... OR RAVENS!

Jim Shwartz began in 09 and still has his job. Why? Stafford
    Rex Ryan will lose his job if Sanchez doesn't improve next year.

JOE FLACCO is clearly above and beyond every other pick as being the best pick. He may rival Ray Lewis before his career is over. The only reason Ray will always be the best pick in Raven's history will be because of the timing.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Blog Entries

Anybody that says it isnt Flacco clearly wasnt a fan through the infuriating Boller years. you can argue if hes good/great but you cant argue with the stability hes brought to the position as well as the consistency the team has managed due to that fact. Im thankful for playoffs annually and no more losing seasons.
    -JAB

think about how the team floundered at .500 wi Jamal Lewis and QB-of-the-week (Grbac, Blake, Boller). IIRC we didn't win more than 10 games from 2001 to 2006. JFlacc is the difference maker.
    ...but I doubt the Ravens would be at 12-4 / division winner without Ray Rice.
    nice to have them BOTH!!!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)