Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flacco and his receiving corps over the last 4 years...

Interesting article from EbonyBird website:

http://ebonybird.com/2012/01/10/thin...th-joe-flacco/

Basically how he's been working with a lot of secondhand receivers, and has NEVER had 3 legitimate receivers on the same squad- and basically has had 1 decent receiver each year (and a tight end) with a lot of change. Our receiving corps is constantly in a state of flux... I tend to agree with a lot of this, and expect next year to be a lot better- especially if we can get Evans to be the player that he should be.

If people really expect that we should have the same offense as the Pats, Packers, and Saints- it's not going to happen (and it shouldn't). But it's clear that our receivers have been nothing but average for the most part- our receiving corps is not even as good as the Falcons, Lions, Chargers- but Flacco has worked very well with what he's been given- and has actually done a lot with the limited talent we have at that position.

To be clear my position is still that we shouldn't ever be throwing more than 30 times per game with our powerful running game, but Flacco is still talented enough to take it on his shoulders when we fall behind and get us where we need to go.

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco and his receiving corps over the last 4 years...

They now have the young pieces that they need. Joe Flacco just needs to grow with these receivers. Now, it is about stability. Similarly to Michael Oher playing RT.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

QB Ratings of Cam Cameron's QBs:

2002 Drew Brees = 76.9
    2003 Drew Brees = 67.5
    2004 Drew Brees = 104.8
    2005 Drew Brees = 89.2
    2006 Phillip Rivers = 92.0
    2008 Joe Flacco = 80.3
    2009 Joe Flacco = 88.9
    2010 Joe Flacco = 93.6
    2011 Joe Flacco = 80.9

:word It's amazing how no one will recognize this. Flacco SHOULDN'T be compared to QB's who have been in the league 10 years and have had legit WR's for much of their tenure. The constant shuffling at WR for this Ravens team over the years has hindered #5 (along with some one else <ahem> Cam <ahem>). Playing against top defenses 6 times a year and playing outside, on a run a first team makes the #'s he's put up really impressive. I don't wanna hear the Matt Ryan/Freeman/Sanchez comparisons ANYMORE. It makes me wanna punch a homeless person. He's head and shoulders above that class of QB's and, IMO, will develop into one of the best in the NFL, if he continues his upward trend. I know his #'s aren't there but regardless of what people say, that can be attributed to drops, rookies, and throwing the ball more than ever (i.e. - not playing the run more early this year to set up play action).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post

2002 Drew Brees = 76.9
    2003 Drew Brees = 67.5
    2004 Drew Brees = 104.8
    2005 Drew Brees = 89.2
    2008 Joe Flacco = 80.3
    2009 Joe Flacco = 88.9
    2010 Joe Flacco = 93.6
    2011 Joe Flacco = 80.9
    you can argue that Flacco has been his best/most consistent QB, even better than Brees, whos done alright for himself in a system that suits him.
    -JAB

In losing Mason, Heap and Housh Flacco lost receivers who produced 1799 and 15 TDs in 2010. We all think those were correct moves because those guys were just not explosive enough anymore but he still lost some reliable targets. They were replaced by Dickson, Pitta and rookies (Torrey, Doss, LaQuan and D Reed) who had 12 career catches combined. Lee Evans joined the mix but, due to injury, basically contributed nothing. We all think these were correct moves but should we be surprised that his completion percentage has taken a hit this year with all these inexperienced targets? His sack rate is down so there are a few more throwaways and we all know about the drops. NoFlaccoH8 makes a good point about all of the top Pass Defenses that Flacco has faced this year.

One interesting comparison might be Tom Brady in 2006. He lost long-time targets like Branch, Givens and Patton and was relying more on TEs Watson and Graham (though he didn't have WRs as good as Boldin or Torrey). One of the best QBs ever in his 6th year after having already won 3 SBs:

Brady '06: 319/516 3529 Yards 6.8 YPA 24 TD 12 INT
    Flacco '11: 312/542 3610 Yards 6.7 YPA 20 TD 12 INT

So as long as Torrey Smith develops into Randy Moss and Tandon Doss turns into Wes Welker, we should expect 50 TD passes next year :)

I expect these guys to grow together over the next coming years. Ravens did a good job getting Flacco young offense of weapons he can work with. Many more years to come

Rumor has it that Brady, Brees , and Rodgers sleep with their receivers and mostly tight ends at least once a week. LOL Flacco on the other hand hasn't had time for that because of players having cold hands and not staying around long enough.
    Last edited by lovefootball; 01-11-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post

2002 Drew Brees = 76.9
    2003 Drew Brees = 67.5
    2004 Drew Brees = 104.8
    2005 Drew Brees = 89.2
    2008 Joe Flacco = 80.3
    2009 Joe Flacco = 88.9
    2010 Joe Flacco = 93.6
    2011 Joe Flacco = 80.9
    Interesting. Makes me wonder what their QB rating was after they left Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Interesting. Makes me wonder what their QB rating was after they left Cam?
    Cam as OC in bold.

2002 Drew Brees = 76.9
    2003 Drew Brees = 67.5
    2004 Drew Brees = 104.8
    2005 Drew Brees = 89.2

2006 Drew Brees = 96.2
    2007 Drew Brees = 89.4
    2008 Drew Brees = 96.2
    2009 Drew Brees = 109.6 (lead the league)
    2010 Drew Brees = 99.0
    2011 Drew Brees = 110.6

2007 Phillip Rivers = 82.4
    2008 Phillip Rivers = 105.5 (lead the league)
    2009 Phillip Rivers = 104.4
    2010 Phillip Rivers = 101.8
    2011 Phillip Rivers = 88.7

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They now have the young pieces that they need. Joe Flacco just needs to grow with these receivers. Now, it is about stability. Similarly to Michael Oher playing RT.
    You are assuming that Reed, L Williams, and Doss are the real deal. I hope you're right. Our recent history has been to draft WRs who did not quite pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    You are assuming that Reed, L Williams, and Doss are the real deal. I hope you're right. Our recent history has been to draft WRs who did not quite pan out.
    If doss turns out to be a dud thats fine by me. Torrey Smith looks to have a very bright future in this league. you cant expect that both WRs turn out to be studs. If doss plays a role in the offense great. I dont expect much from Laquan or Reed. does that really matter? Laquan was undrafted and Reed was taken in the 5th or 6th round, where if they hit your like great if not your like o well it was a late round pick. The Fact that torrey alone had a GREAT GREAT rookie year, shows that Flacco has a potential number 1 WR to throw to for a long time.