Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 32
  1. #13

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, and apparently he took all of a handful of snaps with the 1st team O.

    Again, the media blows.

    I would love to be paid to do that job. I can guarantee you that I would actually give a shit and take it seriously. I'd be a lot more accurate than most of these clowns.
    Yeah, but would you cater to the lowest common denominator?

    Cause that's where the ad money is.




  2. #14

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Our defense is definitely better than the Texans. Texans do not scare me on defense one little bit. Outside of the pass rush what do they have? Jonathan joseph who can only cover 1 person? Who are their safeties? Their secondary is not very good, I dont care about statistics, we torched them last time and we'll do it again.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Yeah, but would you cater to the lowest common denominator?

    Cause that's where the ad money is.
    No, because I think most NFL fans would appreciate the accuracy and legitimate reporting.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    reisterstown
    Posts
    339

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    It was Hou announcer A Ware. I would hardly call him a reporter. Didn't he get like a 7 on the wonderlic?




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    781

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Houston's defense (at least the starters) is much younger than the Ravens.

    The Ravens do not have a starter younger than 26 (Webb and McClain), and they have four that are 30 or older (Lewis, Reed, Johnson and Redding).

    Houston by comparison has five starters 25 or younger (Reed, Watt, Barwin, Quin and Cushing) and only one starter that is 30 and none older.

    When you factor in some of the role players (Jimmy Smith, McPhee, etc.), I am sure the average age of the Ravens defense comes down, some.

    Whether this age difference is going to be a factor either way (youth vs. experience) is debatable. But to claim that the Ravens have a "young" defense - as compared to Houston's - just isn't supported by the facts.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Houston's defense (at least the starters) is much younger than the Ravens.

    The Ravens do not have a starter younger than 26 (Webb and McClain), and they have four that are 30 or older (Lewis, Reed, Johnson and Redding).

    Houston by comparison has five starters 25 or younger (Reed, Watt, Barwin, Quin and Cushing) and only one starter that is 30 and none older.

    When you factor in some of the role players (Jimmy Smith, McPhee, etc.), I am sure the average age of the Ravens defense comes down, some.

    Whether this age difference is going to be a factor either way (youth vs. experience) is debatable. But to claim that the Ravens have a "young" defense - as compared to Houston's - just isn't supported by the facts.
    Yea, when you compare them to Houston's defense there is certainly an age differential.

    This "elderly defense/old defense" statement has been going on for two seasons, when it's really not that true at all. The Ravens have a nice mix of youth and experience, but there are a lot of young guys on the D. Pollard, Ngata, Suggs, Kruger, McPhee, Cody, Jones, Jimmy, Cary, Webb, McClain, and Ellerbe are all still pretty young.

    Now, not all of them start, but to dismiss their contribution is incorrect IMO.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    781

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Now, not all of them start, but to dismiss their contribution is incorrect IMO.
    Personally, I am not dismissing the contributions of the younger, non-starters, but you have to agree that starters are going to contribute more than non-starters.

    And like I said, whether youth is better served than experience is debatable. Would you rather have the 23 year-old Suggs or the 29 year-old Suggs? I will take the latter.




  8. #20

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiMoon View Post
    It was Hou announcer A Ware. I would hardly call him a reporter. Didn't he get like a 7 on the wonderlic?
    Wow . . . that is so true . . . . I'd forgotten about that dismal display of intellect.




  9. #21

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The are way too many in the media that do as little research as possible. Remember that when you hear that Brady Quinn might start for the Broncos or whatever the hot news story of the week is.
    Demaryius Thomas gave an interview on SiriusNFL Radio and confirmed Quinn took reps with the 1st team in preparation for the Steelers.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.




  10. #22

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Mike (the fat one that does commercials about losing weight) has held onto the narrative (for that last 3 years) that the Ravens defense is "long in the tooth". He won't come off that line until Ray and/or Ed retire or play for another team.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    Demaryius Thomas gave an interview on SiriusNFL Radio and confirmed Quinn took reps with the 1st team in preparation for the Steelers.
    Well, either he exaggerated or the media blew it out of proportion, or Phil Simms underplayed it significantly because prior to the game Simms said he was at the offensive practice that week and he saw Quinn take about 5 snaps with the 1st team offense.

    Kind of interesting how so many different stories kind of conflict.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #24

    Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

    i read somewhere that the 2000 team was ,by avg age,the oldest in the nfl that year...i know its nature to assume it wasnt,w a younger ray,cmac,etc...and the team speed was incredible,but look it up.

    there is a lot to be said for wisdom




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland