Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

That "elderly" Ravens defense

I was listening to Mike and Mike on my way to work and they had the Houston reporter on this morning, talking up the Texans defense which everyone will acknowledge as being very good. They talked a bit about the first game, then they started talking about the Texans offense versus the Ravens defense...it was hilarious. The guy started talking about how the Ravens defense is a "much older group" that is "not as dominant as they were, they might have trouble" etc. Why does this "the Ravens defense is old" lie keep getting rehashed by the National media? It's like they don't watch Ravens game at all because they would know with the exception of Reed and Ray Ray, JJ and Redding, the defense is young! Our biggest play makers this year are the younger guys like Ngata, Sizzle, Cody, Pollard, Webby, McPhee, and occasionally Smitty and Kruger. All these dudes are under 30, some under 25. It's just crazy to me. At any rate, this "old" defense was way up there in sacks, turnovers, stuffing the run, etc.

Blog Entries

Re: That "elderly" Ravens defense

They see Ed Reed and Ray Lewis as basically being the defence, so because they're old the D is old.

LOL you're prolly right...

The BEST thing that could happen to the Ravens leading up to these games is for opposing teams to underestimate them. Let them keep flying under the radar all the way to the Superbowl.

The only thing that I'm worried about is Cam. Will he let this offense off the short leash that he usually keeps them on - particularly if they get a lead.

Blog Entries

The 2 defenses in this game are almost the exact same statistically. Even if age was a viable argument, it obviously doesnt sway the argument in Houstons favor. The "old" defense is just as good as their young one, if not better. This game is coming down to offense, and all those Joe haters will either have something to hang their hats on or will need to remove their foot from their mouths.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

No, that's most certainly right. Ed and Ray are the face of the franchise, and the defense, and they are old, so the defense, by extension, must be old. Do you really expect anything more from the media?

In order our most important defenders this year were (imo) Suggs, Ngata, and Webb. Those three were head and shoulders our best defenders. None of them is on the wrong side of thirty; two of them are locked up long-term; and there is a whole lot of younger talent surrounding them on all three levels- guys like Cody, McPhee, A Jones, Kruger, McClain, Smith, C Williams, etc.

This defense, on a whole, is not old. It just isn't. If you want to see an old defense look three hours northwest of Baltimore- that is an old defense.

Blog Entries

It's the veteran presence and experience that will help the Ravens.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Hell, JJ is only 30, He's hardly a senior citizen in the NFL.

It's a nonsense that has been perpetuated by the media because they haven't actually watched the transitions that have taken place on the line and in the secondary. I think most of the believe that CMac, Gregg and Rolle are still on the roster.

Blog Entries

The are way too many in the media that do as little research as possible. Remember that when you hear that Brady Quinn might start for the Broncos or whatever the hot news story of the week is.

Blog Entries

When announcers/people think of the Baltimore Ravens they think of Defense. Who do they think of on defense? Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

That's why the Ravens get the "old defense" schtick.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The are way too many in the media that do as little research as possible. Remember that when you hear that Brady Quinn might start for the Broncos or whatever the hot news story of the week is.
    Yea, and apparently he took all of a handful of snaps with the 1st team O.

Again, the media blows.

I would love to be paid to do that job. I can guarantee you that I would actually give a shit and take it seriously. I'd be a lot more accurate than most of these clowns.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

A quick check of our depth chart shows the average age of our first 11 at 28.6,
    Houston's at 25.8