Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Calling majo BS on this---

Overblown.

Any coaching staff that cannot find an opponent's tendencies and game plan accordingly at this point in the season is probably sitting at home watching anyway. Does anyone really think Hoody and Co. were completely lost in trying to prepare for a team they just played a month ago, so they had to call in an expert? Really??

Blog Entries

Re: Calling major BS on this---

I think its funny that were talking about a perceived advantage in game planning, that arguably the best coach in the NFL is getting. The fact that hes Bill Bellicheck is the greatest advantage not Josh Mcdaniels.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think that teams that are still in the playoffs/Super Bowl should be allowed to alter/change their coaching staff until either the season is over or they are out of the playoffs.

That includes letting coaches leaving for collegiate jobs, etc.
    I completely agree. The Pats are operating within the rules but the NFL needs to change the rules going forward. There are lots of players who have contracts expiring at the end of the season. No team that has played their 16 games would be allowed to release them so they could sign with a playoff team. It should be the same for coaches. The NFL needs to fix this for next season.

As E Mangini said yesterday, do you really think Belichick wouldn't have called McDaniels for info on Den this week if he was still unemployed? This goes on all the time with coaches and their buddies around the league.

Whether or not in this situation it's an advantage, I think this needs to be addressed by the league. Coaches and personnel should have a non compete clause in their contract that extends through the end of the season. Could you imagine what would have happened if the Broncos had hired Tod Haley just prior to their week 17 match-up? This is the precedent the Patriots are setting here. If anything McDaniels is trying to double dip in this situation, he already got paid for the full season by the Rams, and is now getting paid by the Patriots.

Teams have to give permission in order for a coach to interview with another team during the season so their obviously IS something in the contracts already preventing this practice.

If it was such a big deal to the league, the teams would simply say "no".

This is such a non-story.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it at all. The fact he is getting paid is the problem? Starting his job early? How can you keep McDaniels from telling his buddy, "Hoody," all that stuff anyway? Is it alright if John Harbaugh tells Jim Harbaugh about the Steelers? And can't players do that? I thought if a player was released he could sign with anyone immediately, or are there restrictions about postseason signing (I really have no idea)? This is a non-issue, imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Teams have to give permission in order for a coach to interview with another team during the season so their obviously IS something in the contracts already preventing this practice.

If it was such a big deal to the league, the teams would simply say "no".

This is such a non-story.
    Yea, but interviewing and actually taking a job and leaving when there are still games to be played is a much bigger thing.

I don't care that Josh McDaniels was hired back by the Patriots. Frankly, it makes sense and it's a good move by the Pats because of his familiarity with the offensive personnel.

What I do think is wrong is Bill O'Brien leaving the Patriots after accepting the Penn State gig. IIRC, Bobby Petrino did the exact same thing to Atlanta a few years ago, but it was during the regular season.

Mike Mularkey waited until the Falcons' season was over before accepting the job in Jacksonville. Josh McDaniels waited until the Rams' season was over before sliding up to New England. Those circumstances are no big deal. If Chuck Pagano left the Ravens right now to go take over his alma matter's program (Wyoming), the fanbase would flip the hell out.

The league can provide protections for teams against those types of things very easily.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

What I do think is wrong is Bill O'Brien leaving the Patriots after accepting the Penn State gig
    O'Brien is still with the team. He has not left yet.

And again, all a team has to do is say no. McDaniels was still under contract.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    O'Brien is still with the team. He has not left yet.

And again, all a team has to do is say no. McDaniels was still under contract.
    True.

And wasn't the point of them bringing McDaniels back was because Bill O'Brien was basically leaving for Penn State before the playoffs were over? I swear I read that a few days ago.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

True.

And wasn't the point of them bringing McDaniels back was because Bill O'Brien was basically leaving for Penn State before the playoffs were over? I swear I read that a few days ago.
    Dunno. I don't recall reading anything about O'Brien leaving before the playoffs. I think some people assumed he would, but I don't see anything from the team about it.

Blog Entries

There is a difference between Bill Belichick calling McDaniels and talking over the phones, and having McDaniels in the meeting rooms(s) discussing all of this with the players personally.

Personally, I think that this shows the pressure that Bill Belichick feels he is under. He is doing everything in his power to avoid a third consecutive playoff 'one and done', on his home field.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore