Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESPN hates defense

It's hilarious listening to these ESPN radio guys talking about how "boring" Bama vs LSU was because there "were no big passing plays." They're complaining about how they would've preferred a prolific offense to match up against one of those teams. They were also talking about how the Ravens vs Texans will be "undoutedly the least anticipated match up" because it is likely to be defensive battle. I hate these guys, they want every game to be like the Saints vs Lions WC game or Packers vs Lions in Week 17!!! Teams that play no defense...rant over.

Re: ESPN hates defense

Defense doesn't sell, and that is what it is all about these days.

Sadly this is what football has become at all levels. Touchdowns put asses in seats and make boosters happy. We can only hope that the style of football played in the country's best conference, the SEC, will catch on like the spread offenses did 10ish years ago. There are still a few old-fashioned, defense-respecting ESPN employees who come to mind: Mike Wilbon (Pardon the Interruption, also a huge Bears fan) and Gregg Easterbrook (weekly Tuesday Morning QB column on espn.com's Page 2).
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Blog Entries

It's all about the big time QB's and passing games. The days of the great defense and running attack is over. We really need to appreciate the early days of the past decade when we had J.Lew, Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, and Priest Holmes running wild. 1800 yards and 20+ rushing td's for a running back wasn't uncommon. We didn't have a 1500 yard rusher this year. We'll probably never see a guy run for 20 td's in a season again. 15 td's will be the new great rushing season.

It makes me sick but it is what it is.

Blog Entries

If I wanted that type of offense, I would have watched the Arena Football League.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

That national championship game was actually some pitiful offense by LSU. Both defenses are great but LSU's offense was seriously terrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If I wanted that type of offense, I would have watched the Arena Football League.
    Well, get used to it. That's what the NFL is set to become: The Arena fucking Football League. It's pathetic really.

Honesty, all this talk of "panisfying the game" and "taking all the hitting out of it" is starting to go stale for me.

Was football ruined when tacklers couldn't grab facemasks? Did the rule against clothesline tackles take all the fun out of it? What about the 78 rules that said DBs couldn't grab a guy's arms of legs 40 yards down the field? Did that rule eliminate the ability to play d? Someone better tell the 2000 Ravens and the 85 Bears if it did.

Linemen used to be allowed to link arms and a runner wasnt considered down if he could wriggle off the ground within a couple of seconds. I mean, yea people died playing but I guess that was REAL football right? The old wing T and 3 yards and a cloud of dust is the only thing worth watching!

The game is evolving. That doesn't mean it's worse.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369139,-76.761196
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Honesty, all this talk of "panisfying the game" and "taking all the hitting out of it" is starting to go stale for me.

Was football ruined when tacklers couldn't grab facemasks? Did the rule against clothesline tackles take all the fun out of it? What about the 78 rules that said DBs couldn't grab a guy's arms of legs 40 yards down the field? Did that rule eliminate the ability to play d? Someone better tell the 2000 Ravens and the 85 Bears if it did.

Linemen used to be allowed to link arms and a runner wasnt considered down if he could wriggle off the ground within a couple of seconds. I mean, yea people died playing but I guess that was REAL football right? The old wing T and 3 yards and a cloud of dust is the only thing worth watching!

The game is evolving. That doesn't mean it's worse.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369139,-76.761196
    No, it's only worse if you think teams putting up 5000 yards through the air regularly isn't what football is all about. If you prefer the minimization of defense and ground games to passing games. Ultimately, it's a matter of taste, but the rules are being tailored and enforced in a way to enhance offense, and specifically passing games.

If that's your cup of tea, so be it. But it isn't the kind of football I prefer.

Your post has a tinge of hyperbole, ASB, and I believe what folks are concerned about are the changes going too far, thus ruining the essence of the game. I don't think anyone argues your points where changes were made a decade or two ago. But now, in the name of safety, there are certain things you can or cannot do, requiring the player to almost become a mind reader.

The QB protection rules in particular have me concerned.

Football is a violent sport. There is a line where the essence of the game begins to erode and I believe we have begun to cross it in the last few years.

Blog Entries

Did any of you watch the LSU Bama game? LSU couldn't even cross the 50 yard line and I think their QB took a bribe he was so horrible. That game was pathetic, I agree with them.

Would've like to have seen Bama and Okl St in a plus one game; now that would be entertaining.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Defense isn't sexy. The casual fan wants to see TDs scored in bunches.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller