Blog Entries

Story about Ricky Williamns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu..._ravens_010912

I think the writer is exaggerating for dramatic effect. There was a video of the locker room (the Ray Lewis speech) after the Bengals game, which showed Ricky Williams was in with the crowd. But an interesting story nevertheless. He wants to be a psychiatrist.

Re: Story about Ricky Williamns

I saw that earlier. Sounds extremely exaggerated.

Ricky Williams was the poster child for social anxiety disorder as well as Paxil which was one of the first non-benzodiazepine drugs used widely to treat it. There is nothing exaggerating about the article. Notice he didn't give a speech when everyone chanted for him to. How many times does that happen in an NFL locker room? Folks with SAD can tolerate being around people usually but don't want to be the center of the attention. He has suffered from SAD for a long time and probably has it mostly under control by now.

Surprisingly to me, smoking pot is a strange choice of drugs for him. People with SAD usually find smoking pot uncomfortable as it inhances that type of anxiety. SAD folks tend to prefer the opiates if they are drug users. I think it shows that he most likely smoked pot to deal with the isolation he experienced which conversely is a product of regular use and for some a benefit.

He also has spent much time in eastern mediation practices which has recently become a popular treatment method for anxiety. I tip my hat to guy for being who he is and not chagning himself to fit the culture. I was surprised whne he hit 10,000 yards as I mostly forgotten about the length of earlier success.

Blog Entries

If anybody gets the chance, check out the 30on30 about Ricky. Dude has a fascinating story. He is a different kind of guy. Im a big fan of his and would love to see him get a ring.

Nice article on Ricky

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl..._ravens_010912

Seems like he's content and enjoying himself and his bit part role. May also play another year.

Good that the Ravens have the reputation for treating players well, once again echoed in this article.

Blog Entries

Re: Nice article on Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    Seems like he's content and enjoying himself and his bit part role. May also play another year.

Good that the Ravens have the reputation for treating players well, once again echoed in this article.
    I think this is most realistic. Ricky getting a championship in 2011/12, then playing 2nd fiddle for the Ravens in 2012/13. As players get to the end of their careers, they can go for the $ or go for the "ring". IMO Ricky is best suited as Ray Rice's back-up, on a perennial playoff team, rather than ending with a little more money on a loser... Bc

He's a very unique and interesting dude. Reminds me of this kid I knew in college.

Blog Entries

Re: Nice article on Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I think this is most realistic. Ricky getting a championship in 2011/12, then playing 2nd fiddle for the Ravens in 2012/13. As players get to the end of their careers, they can go for the $ or go for the "ring". IMO Ricky is best suited as Ray Rice's back-up, on a perennial playoff team, rather than ending with a little more money on a loser... Bc
    that's the cool thing about rickey...he doesn't care about the money. at one point he was living in a tent in australia when he could have been making multi-millions playing football. his interest lie more in the experience than in the potential earnings. had he stayed the course, he could have been the greatest running back the nfl has ever seen. he is the opposite of your stereotypical pro athlete. refreshing story, IMO. our ravens need to get rickey a ring, just like ray and reed. rickey, ray, and reed, LOL.

Nice story with a certain appeal. Ricky is definitely not your cookie cutter-type pro athlete. I can't say exactly why, but it makes me root for the guy even more than I already was.

Blog Entries

one thing to know about rickey:

when he was a kid, his father made him take pictures of his dick. rickey told his mom and his mom found one of the pics. the dad ended up getting arrested and convicted of committing lewd acts with a child, or some charge like that. rickey not only has had to live with that trauma but also grew up blaming himself for splitting up his family. that is the reason for his emotional instability over the years.

i remember thiesmann calling him a piece of shit and a disgrace to the nfl when he was suspended. bet that asshole never heard rickey's story.