Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Brian Billick - "The probem with Mike Preston is that he pretends he knows football"

I know... That's why I didnt say SELF-proclaimed.

I give Billick a ton of credit for winning a SuperBowl with going against every offensive principle he believed in. Not too many 'offensive' geniuses would have ran that ball control, safe scheme. Actually, he proved he was a 'Genius'... He realized that the passing game was so pisspoor that there wasnt any set of plays/concepts in his Vikings scheme that would fix it, so he went with what would work.

Re: Brian Billick - "The probem with Mike Preston is that he pretends he knows football"

It's the "making up" part that made me quit reading him years ago. If he didn't straight up lie he twisted the truth.
    Can't stand that behavior in a person, especially if it's constant.

I think it's pretty well known that a lot of media nationally do not like the Ravens. Preston doesn't either. He almost always has a negative slant. The national media loves it and that's why he picks up these awards.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.

Check out who preston picked to win in wild card weekend. His picks were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    Here is the interview, vintage Billick!

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...illick-live-6/
    Nice Interview, thanks for sharing. Why Billick isn't a HC again is a mystery to me. Certainly he's as knowledgeable about the game as most HCs that have a job. I just don't get it, I guess. I want to think that perhaps he doesn't want to HC again and that's why. Otherwise, there's a boatload of dumbass owners and GM's out there that can't see how Billick could help their organization. JMHO.

Recently I remember hearing it mused out loud that Billick intimidates folks because his football intelligence is interpreted as arrogance.

I think he deserves another shot as a HC, certainly more than Jeff Fisher. I still can't figure out why everyone is slobbering over him...

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by mindless lemming
    Preston retorted that in reality basketball is his game, and he has forgotten more about it than Billick will ever know....

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Like how to run...jump...or do anything active?
    C'mon wicked, he did win the "donut dunking contest" 11 years in a row... Bc

Mikey P's job is the same as Skip Bayless. Create controversy to gain pageviews and viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Nice Interview, thanks for sharing. Why Billick isn't a HC again is a mystery to me. Certainly he's as knowledgeable about the game as most HCs that have a job. I just don't get it, I guess. I want to think that perhaps he doesn't want to HC again and that's why. Otherwise, there's a boatload of dumbass owners and GM's out there that can't see how Billick could help their organization. JMHO.

This interview that everyone is slobbering over is exactly why Billick draws zero interest from teams as a head coach. I listened to the interview and the question posed was (paraphrased) "from the controversy this week, what do you think about Ray and Ed still playing"? Billick can't just answer the question but has to lower himself to take a shot at Preston because he still hasn't "emotionally healed" himself from the shots Preston took at him while his tenure as coach. Billick goes on in the interview to agree that the last couple years Ray has lost a step and been somewhat ineffective in the nickle package. So in a sense he agrees but still needs to take the long way home to the answer by first stopping at Preston's house to throw a couple eggs like some jilted adolescent boy.

I know everyone here loves that but its not a quality of a successful NFL headcoach and there are too many examples of that is Billick's past. You see the same thing albeit to a greater and much more damaging effect in Rex Ryan. A truly confident NFL coach moves through that question without ever feeling the need to bash a local and marginal sports writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    This interview that everyone is slobbering over is exactly why Billick draws zero interest from teams as a head coach. I listened to the interview and the question posed was (paraphrased) "from the controversy this week, what do you think about Ray and Ed still playing"? Billick can't just answer the question but has to lower himself to take a shot at Preston because he still hasn't "emotionally healed" himself from the shots Preston took at him while his tenure as coach. Billick goes on in the interview to agree that the last couple years Ray has lost a step and been somewhat ineffective in the nickle package. So in a sense he agrees but still needs to take the long way home to the answer by first stopping at Preston's house to throw a couple eggs like some jilted adolescent boy.

I know everyone here loves that but its not a quality of a successful NFL headcoach and there are too many examples of that is Billick's past. You see the same thing albeit to a greater and much more damaging effect in Rex Ryan. A truly confident NFL coach moves through that question without ever feeling the need to bash a local and marginal sports writer.
    I think he's ok with not being a coach. He's making plenty of money to talk about the game, to be an expert of the game without having to live under a microscope.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post

I completely disagree. Parcells had dog fights with media in New York. Even Belicheck has hammered a reporter.

And he did not come to the same conclusion, he said the opposite or did you even listen to the interview?

Hell I heard Marty Shottenhiemer say bad things about Daniel Snyder before and after he was hired and Marty is being interviewed again for a head coaching job in Tampa. So if Marty takes on an owner and Billick throws a little salt on a hack of a writer he's in effect disqualified for being considered for head coaching?

Whatever.

Just listened to it...hahahahhahahh.

It is about time Billick fired back.

I would love to hear Preston's response.

First off, I think what Billick said about Preston was done tongue-and-cheek. I think both guys have mutual respect for each other and they play up the animosity for the sake of the fans.

Second, one of the things that soured Bisciotti on Billick was his arrogance. Billick does know more about football than 98% of the people in the room, so his arrogance is well earned. But he had a problem taking input from the folks underneath him (his scouts, assistant coaches, players, etc.).

Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    First off, I think what Billick said about Preston was done tongue-and-cheek. I think both guys have mutual respect for each other and they play up the animosity for the sake of the fans.
    Uh...no. That is not the case.

No one inside(or outside) the Castle has much respect if any for Preston.

15. Re: Brian Billick - "The probem with Mike Preston is that he pretends he knows football"

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Ya think? Lol....all those times Preston got personal with Billick in print (CompuCoach, Camp Cream Puff, etc)? Preston has been completely unprofessional for a long time, and then has the gall to call out Ed Reed for getting personal with him. Sure, whatever Mike.
    Never heard about that. Did it really get personal with those 2? And if he really called Ed out, what was the exchange about might I ask?