Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
We are in an era where it is popular to criticize media so message boards tend to funnel into that direction. Message boards encourage "easy think" where people are either for or against and discourage nuance of thought. It takes too long to explain nuance and it takes writing skills to create an cogent argument around nuance lol.

There isn't an individual who is watching this season that doesn't see Ray and Ed's decline. Naturally that leads to a conversation around alternatives. That is all Preston said. The false argument about "benching" them is what I refer to as "easy think". Preston never said they should be benched.

I was watching the Xmas Eve Browns game again this morning and anyone who has it on DVR go to around 4 minutes left in the game and watch the Browns on 3rd and 4th down. On 3rd and 5, Ed Reed blitzes (which he still does well - nuance), forces Wallace to throw a quick pass to Hills in which he "dirts" incomplete. Notice that Hillis is wide open for a big gain if Wallace has the composure to set and deliver the pass. Notice that it is Ray's coverage that allows him to be open. On 4th down, the Browns run a similar play but to the other side. Ayanbadajo is on the covereage this time and Wallace gets the ball to Hillis but Ayanbadjo is all over him and takes him out of bounds for no gain. Ravens ball and they go onto win.

The Ravens got lucky in this instance that they were going up against Wallace. That won't be the case after this week if the Ravens advance. If Wallace gets the ball to Hillis on the 3rd down with Ray trailing who knows maybe we are traveling to Pittsburgh this week all banged up and the Steelers are fresh coming off a bye. Its little things like that that go mostly unnoticed but create such a different possible scenario. God forbid if someone takes the time to point that out.

To suggest that this is the wrong time to have this discussion seems equally innane to me. When do we have it? After the Brady completes that same pass that Wallace couldn't and the Ravens lose 21-20? At that point "easy talk" is firing Cam again and missing the point.
I think its more about how he wrote it and some things he said. He was saying how they should be taken off the field in situations but then saying they are still two of the better players at their position. Its a little silly to suggest your best safety on the team should come off the field on any plays unless he is sucking wind or injured. Are they gonna sit Ed down on first down beacause they might run it? Are we gonna put in injured lbs just because Ray Lewis isnt as good as Ray Lewis used to be? Just the concept of the piece was, for lack of a better term, not good.