Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wade Phillips Interviewing For Tampa Bay's Head Coaching Job Friday Night

Gary Kubiak says it won't be a distraction. I don't know how it cannot be a distraction.

I thought there was a rule that teams could not interview coaches whose teams are still playing?

Anyway, if Tampa Bay hires Wade Phillips then they deserve to keep losing. How many times will teams hire failed retreads from the good 'ol boys network. It's amazing they want to even go there with Wade.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...a-distraction/

Re: Wade Phillips Interviewing For Tampa Bay's Head Coaching Job Friday Night

Edit: I've been corrected over the interview rules by MarkS. I'm happy to be corrected when I'm wrong

It has to be a distraction. The Houston defense and especially the rookies love him and rave over how simple yet effective his schemes are.

Can't blame a man for aiming for the top but it won't do morale in Houston any good

Good 'ol boys is a bit harsh, can you recognize what he has done with the Texans D?
    Last edited by Irish Raven; 01-10-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: MarkS has a lot of details below

Blog Entries

Mortensen reported earlier that Marty Schottenheimer is interviewing Tomorrow. Doesn't really seem like a fit for those two but who know's. Phillips may not get the chance.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    There are no official rules over this

Unwritten rules maybe but nothing official

It has to be a distraction. The Houston defense and especially the rookies love him and rave over how simple yet effective his schemes are.

Can't blame a man for aiming for the top but it won't do morale in Houston any good

Good 'ol boys is a bit harsh, can you recognize what he has done with the Texans D?
    I never said he wasn't a good D-Coordinator. However, I do think some coaches excel at being a coordinator, but are not head coach material. Rex Ryan, Cam and Dick LeBeau come to mind. Wade had a decent record as head coach, but has only won 1 playoff game in 9 seasons. He was fired by Dallas mid-season when he apparently lost the team.

Blog Entries

Yea, and Garrett didn't do much better.

Remember when we wanted him here and got stuck with HARBs and
    then HARBs kicked their ass down there with 2 historic TD runs
    by McGahee and McClain on a simple trap block no less.

We lucked out with HARBs-lol.

I'VE BEEN HIRING PEOPLE FOR 25 YEARS AND IT'S WORKED
    OUT PRETTY WELL FOR ME.

STEVE BISCIOTTI

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    In fairness, it would be his fourth shot at a head coaching gig, and he's a "legacy" in NFL coaching. I think he's a very good DC, but kind of the definition of a "good 'ol boy" network hire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Mortensen reported earlier that Marty Schottenheimer is interviewing Tomorrow. Doesn't really seem like a fit for those two but who know's. Phillips may not get the chance.
    Oh goodness, going from Morris to Schottenheimer. Those young players will be in shock.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    Gary Kubiak says it won't be a distraction. I don't know how it cannot be a distraction.

I thought there was a rule that teams could not interview coaches whose teams are still playing?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...a-distraction/
    The NFL rules used to state that one team could not contact/interview an assistant coach from another team until after that other team's season had ended. But a few years ago, it was decided that was unfair to the asst. coaches from the playoff teams, so they now allow for a window of opportunity to speak with those guys. The link below describes the process in more detail, and specifically addresses the TB situation:

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/breaking-...ng--ar-343228/

Blog Entries

I don't like it. Even though we are playing Houston, I do not think that this is fair to the players. A coordinator works so hard to get the players to buy into him and his system. Now, he leaves open, a window of doubt in the idea that he is completely focused on finishing strong with the team he has. You don't just show up to an interview unprepared. It takes time to prepare, time that could be used to prepared for the upcoming game.

It's just that, if I were a player, I would not like it. I would still go out there and try to win, because I would want to win. I would be competitive. However, it would be more difficult for me to really get into any speech that he gives.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

If you think it's unfair based on 1 interview you must really hate what is happening with Bill O'Brien on the Patriots. O'Brien has his next job and he can't just wait until the season is over to start it. He needs to fill out his staff now. That's why the Pats felt they had to hire Josh McDaniels. That offense has been a machine all season. Now you are changing the coaching chemistry in the playoffs. We'll see what happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    They have a lot of shit heads in that locker room starting with Aqib Talib. This team isn't really much different than what they were last year. They need a disciplinarian to come in there and get their locker room in order. That's why guys like Schottenheimer are being considered.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

We should be sending the Bucs FO a fruit basket. I don't see Wade Phillips getting the job there as HC...there's some rumors that it'll be Sherman, with Phillips as a potential DC. So this interview just causes some turmoil in the Texans D without doing anything much for Tampa.

Remember how KC's offense looked last year after Weis announced he was leaving for a college gig?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!