Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Wade Phillips Interviewing For Tampa Bay's Head Coaching Job Friday Night

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We should be sending the Bucs FO a fruit basket. I don't see Wade Phillips getting the job there as HC...there's some rumors that it'll be Sherman, with Phillips as a potential DC. So this interview just causes some turmoil in the Texans D without doing anything much for Tampa.

Remember how KC's offense looked last year after Weis announced he was leaving for a college gig?
    Yea, there is no way that it isn't a distraction.

Many felt that was a reason for the Falcons' offensive crapper against the Giants. Mularkey was interviewing for other jobs that week.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    The NFL rules used to state that one team could not contact/interview an assistant coach from another team until after that other team's season had ended. But a few years ago, it was decided that was unfair to the asst. coaches from the playoff teams, so they now allow for a window of opportunity to speak with those guys. The link below describes the process in more detail, and specifically addresses the TB situation:

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/breaking-...ng--ar-343228/
    Ah, I see. Thanks for posting. I'm curious as to why they allow this instead of making all teams wait until after the Superbowl. How much would it suck if we found out Chuck Pagano was interviewing this week.

I have to admit that I find the timing of this interview a little odd given that it's two days before the game. I also find Tampa's interest in Wade odd as well given his reputation as a laid back player's coach. Raheem Morris clearly lost control of the team and I don't know how Wade can get it back with this style and demeanor. Too much of a nice guy going into an asylum ran by the inmates. I don't know.

For one, this is NOT a distraction on any level. As the articles state, it's an interview taking place at night. Kubiac / Phillips are not going to sacrifice practice time in order to make Phillips available for an interview that's going to last 2 hours at the most.

Second, there is no way in hell a team like the Bucs are going to go all the way in the other direction and hire one of the oldest coaches in the league. He will be 65 when the season starts next season.

Blog Entries

It just has that college coach type of feel to it. That a guy can abandon his players, on the eve of the most important game of their lives, for his dream job at Notre Dame, after everything he said about trust, loyalty and commitment, to his players at Cincinnati.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you think it's unfair based on 1 interview you must really hate what is happening with Bill O'Brien on the Patriots. O'Brien has his next job and he can't just wait until the season is over to start it. He needs to fill out his staff now. That's why the Pats felt they had to hire Josh McDaniels. That offense has been a machine all season. Now you are changing the coaching chemistry in the playoffs. We'll see what happens.
    The guys on NFLN were reporting that the league would block this until after the playoffs but I haven't seen any indication that they're doing that. Maybe teams should rent coaches for the playoffs and get someone from their division rival to help with preparation. Why not?

As for Wade, IMHO he should've asked them to wait until their playoff run was over before the interview. I think most teams would respect that request and it just seems like the right thing to do.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!