Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Dickson and Pitta: I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Dickson and Pitta were okay this year, but neither of them were a replacement for Todd Heap. Heap's 2010 was significantly better than Dickson's 2011; since Dickson was our 16 game starter at #1 TE, it's not really arguable. Heap had a similar number of catches for more yards per catch with much better blocking. Flacco was also rarely intercepted throwing to Heap but he was intercepted more throwing to Dickson than any other player in 2011. Heap also didn't have a drop in 2010. We've already gone through this before.

It's not fair to say "durrrr well Dickson and Pitta TOGETHER had better stats than Heap durrrr!" Completely illogical and ridiculous. We ran virtually no 2TE sets last year, instead we ran more 3 WR sets with Houshmandzadeh in the slot; Pitta is the replacement for TJ, and the stats and game charting bear that out (did you know Pitta has lined up as a WR in the slot or split wide far more than he has lined up at in-line TE or H-back?)

I'm pleased with Pitta's performance this year, but let's face it, Dickson has been a disappointment. He's top 10 in the league in targets for a TE, but he hasn't really done a whole lot with those targets, his routes are still sloppy, and he struggles to catch routine passes at times. And his blocking is god-awful.

I think there's still plenty of upside for these guys. I think the Ravens would be well-served to continue to run lots of 2TE sets because we do not have a 3rd WR worth seeing the field over Pitta. Plus, I'm not sure why some have said you can't run out of a 2TE set. A lot of good teams run the 2TE set as their base offense (Patriots are the best example) and you can certainly run well out of it, particularly around the perimeter. Your TEs have to block well, though, and our's don't, but that skill will come in time.

Running the 2TE set doesn't mean Leach doesn't get his snaps. A good offense has to be variable and capable of beating you a lot of ways. We need to be able to run out of 2TEs and pass out of the I-formation, even though technically those are "passing" and "running" formations, respectively.
    I agree with what you are saying, but:

1) Heap was injury-prone; can't help the team when you are on the sidelines
    2) Pitta and Dickson did a pretty good job in replacing Heap's production -- far better than most people (including me) expected.

Frankly, I was stunned when they first announced that Mason and Heap were both gone. I thought the front office had lost it. They were Joe's favorite targets, safety net, and felt like irreplaceable pieces of the offense. But it was the right decision. Kudos to the front office for not being afraid to make the right move even though it involved releasing popular players.

A lot of people were up in arms about the release of Heap, Mason, Gregg, etc, so don't feel bad. Obviously those concerns were unfounded, but hindsight is always 20/20. Kudos to you for starting this thread.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

I like our two TEs. I believe I am in accord with wicked's opinion. I'd like to add that when Boldin was out, the final two regular season games, Evans came up small. I'll give Cam props for using Pitta (Bengal's game) extremely well. He moved him all over, double TE, WR, H-Back. Neither guy will singularly replace Heap in his prime, but together will again elevate the Ravens TE position to one of danger to opposing defenses. Ozzie's "Tebow" trade (Kindle aside) still did wonders for the Ravens offense. Don't rely on me, just ask Flacco how he feels about Pitta in clutch situations... Bc

I liked Pitta in College and was thrilled when we got him. As I have said before [and this is really for we old fogies] Pitta reminds me so much of Raymond Berry. I think that he and Torrey Smith are going to open some eyes this Playoffs - along with the Rice-Leach -Williams triad.

Flacco to Pitta- Flacco to Pitta -

T'will be music to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I like our two TEs. I believe I am in accord with wicked's opinion. I'd like to add that when Boldin was out, the final two regular season games, Evans came up small. I'll give Cam props for using Pitta (Bengal's game) extremely well. He moved him all over, double TE, WR, H-Back. Neither guy will singularly replace Heap in his prime, but together will again elevate the Ravens TE position to one of danger to opposing defenses. Ozzie's "Tebow" trade (Kindle aside) still did wonders for the Ravens offense. Don't rely on me, just ask Flacco how he feels about Pitta in clutch situations... Bc
    I agree with this post exactly as well. Again, neither of them "replaced" Heap this year (or improved on his 2010 performance,) but taken together they did a lot for the offense and although hindsight is 20/20, they probably did more for the team in 2011 than Heap would have. Pitta's versatility was particularly impressive. We would have really been in trouble without them this year.

I think ideally the Ravens are transitioning to an offense that can show you a lot of different looks and still pass or run equally well. 2TE, single back set? No problem, they can run the stretch with Rice or pass deep, intermediate, or short. I-formation with Leach? Power running, inside zone, play action, or just straight drop backs with routes all over the field. Actually, the Ravens had a lot of success passing out of the I formation against Houston earlier in the year, and they could use a similar gameplan on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    I know you have to disagree with everything i say, but i'll repeat it again...

"PLAY PITTA AND DICKSON AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE" My "fetish" isn't to take Leach out of the game. Not sure where you heard me say that. I would rather have Pitta in the game than Evans is my point. Did you hear me say anything about leach?? Did i not say 3rd WR?

Again? okay man..... I don't have a "Fetish", and i don't want the primary offense to be Pitta and Dickson, but i would rather have Pitta in there than Evans..... Do you want me to say it again? okay one last time pickles, in case you read in threes.

Instead of Evans, i would rather have Pitta in on offense.

Again? Too complicated? Okay i don't know how to simplify this anymore, but....PITTA>EVANS.

Okay, you don't know what ">" means? Okay Pitta Over Evans.

If you don't understand that, then well.... what are we really doing here then? really.
    Lol I'm sure this has been covered, but even without a 3rd WR, Pitta+Dickson+Boldin+Torrey+Rice=No Leach... Like you say, its not difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Todd Heap (2010): 40 rec, 599 yards, 5 td

Dennis Pitta (2011): 40 rec, 405 yards, 3 td
    Ed Dickson (2011): 54 rec, 528 yards, 5 td

When Heap was cut I stupidly declared that it would take both Pitta and Dickson to match Heap's production from 2010. Dickson not only bettered Heap's production from last year he did it while splitting reps with Pitta who himself came very close to matching Heap's production.

I say this to say.... I am so glad the Ravens are not run by me. Because if it was up to me both these young studs would still be riding the pine behind an obviously declining Heap.
    A classy post.

So often I see the " I told you so" or "I knew this was going to happen" kind of threads but seldom see the " I was wrong-I didn't expect this to happen" threads.

When it comes to football, even coaches, players and experts are often wrong yet seemslike on message boards NO one ever is. LOL.