The Ravens defense has had a lot of success against Gary Kubiak offenses

Gary Kubiak is a great offensive coach and with his zone blocking schemes has a pretty good record of offensive performance both with the Texans and as Offensive Coordinator of the Broncos. However his scheme has not matched up well against the Ravens defense over the years. In fact going back to the Ravens victory over the Broncos in the 2000 playoffs, Kubiak coached teams are 1-7 against the Ravens. And even that one win in '05 was a close one with a team that finished 13-3 going against a team that was 4-8 at the time:

2000 playoff (w) 21-3 Denver had 135 pass yards, 42 rush yards
    2001 Week 3 (w) 20-13 Denver had 167 pass yards, 61 rush yards
    2002 Week 4 (w) 34-23 Denver had 306 pass yards, 97 rush yards
    2003 Week 8 (w) 26-6 Denver had 90 pass yards, 104 rush yards
    2005 Week 14 (l) 10-12 Denver had 222 pass yards, 96 rush yards
    2008 Week 10 (w) 41-13 Houston had 280 pass yards, 75 rush
    2010 Week 14 (w) 34-28 Houston had 378 pass yards, 111 rush
    2011 Week 6 (w) 29-14 Houston had 200 pass yards, 93 rush

Obviously there are a ton of caveats there (some of those Ravens defenses were all time great units), but Kubiak's schemes don't seem to be ones that have traditionally performed well against the Ravens.

2. Re: The Ravens defense has had a lot of success against Gary Kubiak offenses

The key to this game will no doubt be limiting Arian Foster. The Ravens do that and they should be alright. No way Yates puts 200+ passing yards on the Ravens.

Re: The Ravens defense has had a lot of success against Gary Kubiak offenses

I never realized how bad the defense was destroyed in the midst of that epic pick by Wilson last year.

4. Re: The Ravens defense has had a lot of success against Gary Kubiak offenses

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I never realized how bad the defense was destroyed in the midst of that epic pick by Wilson last year.
    Uhhhhhh, you can thank Grandpa Mattison for that awful scheme!

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Ugh that was bad but I think they held them to something like 150 yards in the first half of that game.

Owen Daniels, interestingly, will be playing with a broken hand.

Johnson accounted for the majority (56%) of Yates passing yards.

The Bengals were atrocious, horrible at tackling the running backs.

Here's a great stat from PFF: On the eight plays he was pressured T.J. Yates took two sacks and completed only two passes. Think Baltimore noticed?

Stop the run, double Johnson if you have to. Don't sell Yates-Johnson short like we did to Hasselback-Britt.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    Uhhhhhh, you can thank Grandpa Mattison for that awful scheme!
    Also, last year, our offense took the second half off when they had a lead.

Blog Entries

Houston's offensive line isn't too shabby either. It might not be that easy to get pressure. The young bucks will have to step up (Kruger, McPhee).
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

If we can stop Arian Foster, i just don't see TJ Yates beating us. Not just stopping Arian Foster, but stopping him with a 7 man Front. If we can stop him with a 7 man front i cant see Yates beating us throwing into those really tight windows.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries
    I truly believe this will be the hardest challenge for the ravens in the playoffs! Houston is not a joke ! Serious ballers on d, but if we can rack up the Yates 3 and out thing then we ware down there d and win with mistake free patient offense !

I don't think the pats are really feared by players as much as fans ! I heard rAy in the locker room say it comes through Baltimore. It's as if he doesn't see the #1 seed sticking around too long
    Last edited by Everything_Ravens; 01-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    Gary Kubiak is a great offensive coach and with his zone blocking schemes has a pretty good record of offensive performance both with the Texans and as Offensive Coordinator of the Broncos. .

HARBs vid on how to break down zone blocking schemes.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media...f9eaa8275ef930