Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Hines Ward to Retire

A better than average player who played dirty and often had the benefit of the refs helping his team. I wonder how many less receptions and yards he would've had if the refs ever called holding or any other penalties against the Steelers offense. I would love to beat that stupid grin off of his face. The only thing worse than seeing him twice a year for games would be having to see him 17 times a year doing commentary.

My only regret is that someone hadn't knocked his teeth down his throat before he retires.

Most football players retire before appearing on Dancing with the Stars.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I hope you guys are right about Ward. Sentiment outside of Ravens land is that he's a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame.

If I take off my anti-Steeler glasses, I think he comes up shy as a HOFer, but it's awfully close. Six 1000 yard seasons. Two more where he had 975 yards. 85 career TDs. The Steelers were hardly a pass-oriented team until the last 2-3 years either. I'm not sure what Ward did outdoors against a high ratio of top-end defenses is any less impressive than what Cris Carter or Torry Smith did playing a large % of their games in a dome.

The biggest thing working against Ward is his lack of top-flight-HOF-caliber individual season. His 2002 season (112-1329-12) was clearly HOF level. I believe his 03 season was as well (95-1163-10). He had plenty of other "good" seasons but only two that I would categorize as "great". Also, for those of you big into AVs, Ward never had a season above 12. He only had one season above 11 and only six in double digits overall. Then again, Cris Carter only had six double-digit AV seasons also, and only had two of 13 or higher.

My contention will be that if Hines Ward gets in, Derrick Mason needs to get in as well. They are very, very, very similar players.

For what it's worth I really don't want to ever see Ward's smile ever again...especially from a podium in Canton...but I think we are letting our anti-Steeler sentiments distract us a bit if we think that a player with 1000 catches and 12,000 career receiving yards isn't at least worthy of HOF consideration.
    Ward's career numbers are inferior to Chris Carter's in every concievable category, and Chris has been eligible for 4 years now, without getting in. Last year, he wasn't even a finalist.

Ward's numbers are inferior to Andre Reed's across the board, and Reed has been waiting for 6 years now.

There's no way anyone should reasonably consider Ward to be anywhere near a lock. If he does get in, it will likely not be for several years, and will have more to do with the 2 rings (and a healthy Steeler's bias) than anything else.
    Last edited by MarkS; 01-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.

5. Re: Hines Ward to Retire

The NFL loses a first class asshole. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Most football players retire before appearing on Dancing with the Stars.
    In a way, so did he.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Ward's career numbers are inferior to Chris Carter's in every concievable category, and Chris has been eligible for 4 years now, without getting in. Last year, he wasn't even a finalist.

Ward's numbers are inferior to Andre Reed's across the board, and Reed has been waiting for 6 years now.

There's no way anyone should reasonably consider Ward to be anywhere near a lock. If he does get in, it will likely not be for several years, and will have more to do with the 2 rings (and a healthy Steeler's bias) than anything else.
    What he said.

If he wasn't a Steeler he isn't even in the conversation.

And that is just a fact. There are so many deserving guys ahead of him at WR it isn't funny, not to mention players at other positions who routinely get snubbed because of where they played. Ward is the classic case for the "Hall of Very Good". Not Fame.

Hines Ward to retire? What the hell are you guys talking about? Are you just clueless or just been living under a bridge or something? Hines Ward put his notice in at the beginning of the season when Double J decked his ass. And he OFICIALLY retired at Ketchup Field when Ray Lewis cracked his ass, tucked him in & put him down for a nap. So please, let's get the facts straigh here fellas.

Blog Entries

Ward posted to his facebook account that he is NOT retiring. Just showed it on NFLNetwork. Good news to me ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Good. Maybe next time JJ or Ray can finish the job.

I'm not sure why everybody is talking about how the Steelers need to reconstruct and get rid of some of their players. They still went 12-4, which is pretty damn good especially with a beat up Rothlesberger. I hate the Steelers as much as anybody else but it seems to be absurd that everybody is talking like they suck and need to overhaul the entire team. I dunno. They fell in the first playoff game to a weaker opponent. Just as the Saints did to the Seahawks last post season. It's the NFL, suprises happen. I'm not sure what the big deal is. 12-4 is a great record still.

They need to dump all those players because they're MASSIVELY over the cap.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369208,-76.761109
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron