Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Hines Ward to Retire

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Agreed, add Marvin Harrison too. Heck, there seems to be a bias against WRs anyway - and that was before the explosion of the passing offenses we're seeing now. It's only going to get tougher for guys like Ward. I just don't see it.
    And Randy Moss. You have to include him as well since he retired.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No surprise that he is retiring and as said above, it's a year too late. Regarding their cap woes, is it any different than what the Ravens did this year, cutting a slew of veterans and moving on? I've read some articles that predict major gloom but usually teams figure out ways around a lot of that.
    In terms of quality players, we had to cut 3 starters (Mason, Heap, Gregg), one good-but-overpiced backup (Willis), and let one good UFA (Wilson) sign elsewhere. All 3 of those starters had either effectively lost their starting jobs, or were on the verge of doing so.

The Steelers cut will be far deeper and more drastic. The list of potential cuts looks something like this:

DE Smith
    NT Hampton
    LB Farrior
    LB Foote
    CB McFadden
    OL Kemoteau
    OL Scott

Some of those guys could be restructured and retained, but here's the problem: Even if the Steelers cut every single one, I believe they'd still be $12-$15 Mil OVER the salary cap, and that's not counting what they'd have to pay the players they sign to replace these guys.

It's not impossible that guys like Keisel and Ryan Clark might end up in the firing line, although it seems more likely that Pgh will make every effort to try and get the rest of the way back under the cap by restructuring the contracts for existing high-priced veterans (like Ben). But that's a temporary solution, and only pushed the remaining cap-overages into future seasons.

So the question is: Do you prefer to rip the band-aid off slowly, or with one quick, painful pull?

About time. I'll grant that Ward has had a long and successful career, but for some reason I've gotten particularly tired of seeing #86 and his stupid grin every televised Steelers game. He annoys me more than any other Steeler except perhaps for Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    although it seems more likely that Pgh will make every effort to try and get the rest of the way back under the cap by restructuring the contracts for existing high-priced veterans (like Ben). But that's a temporary solution, and only pushed the remaining cap-overages into future seasons.
    They restructured Roethlisberger last August to get under the cap.
    As you say, it's not a real solution, just pushes the issue forward

The veteran quarterback has agreed to restructure his contract to help the defending AFC champions get under the $120.4 million cap.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, said the team approached the two-time Super Bowl winner about the deal, but added it would not affect the length or the money involved in the eight-year, $102 million deal the quarterback signed in 2008.

"We've reviewed it and agreed to it," Tollner said Monday.
    And now ask Ben to restructure again?
    What a mess

Maybe he can become a professional dance instructor now. That seems to be the only thing he can win nowadays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And Randy Moss. You have to include him as well since he retired.
    Yup. So many guys at that spot had huge numbers in this era.

Blog Entries

There are going to be a lot of guys on the Steelers roster that will be on the chopping block.

It's time for their young guys to step up and show what they can do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see if they can get out of Ike Taylor's contract either. He was not very good this season and he's something like 31 or 32.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    That team is going to look A LOT different next year.

Their cap woes are reported to be epic.
    It seems apparent that they went all in for this one last run. I think they regetted that decision after the first game of the season when the Ravens smacked them right in the mouth.

Blog Entries
    Hollywood made an already aged player soft !

I hope he retires and is never heard from again!

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It will be so nice to not have to hear armchair analysts defend his myriad cheap shots by going on about how complete and hard-nosed a player he is. And that annoying grin, sweet sweet victory, it's gone.
    Long days and pleasant nights.