Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: If Gurode isn't retained, Jamaal Jackson may be an option...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Vlachos brings a lot of value as a run blocker, but again, you have to consider the fact that Flacco is 5 inches taller than him and taking a direct snap from Vlachos might impede on Flacco's ability to smoothly transition from snap and into his drop steps. It's a legitimate concern. That is one of the reasons why Birk was so desirable as a center prospect at the time. Cam likes taller centers for this very reason.

So this guy is 3 inches shorter than Birk? So, that translate to about 1 and 1/2 inches difference, based on height on taking the snap. I don't think that is going to make any kind of difference or cause any problems with the snap. I think that is falling into the trap of over analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So this guy is 3 inches shorter than Birk? So, that translate to about 1 and 1/2 inches difference, based on height on taking the snap. I don't think that is going to make any kind of difference or cause any problems with the snap. I think that is falling into the trap of over analysis.
    I agree. These guys practice for a reason. Coming in cold off the bench, it might be a difficult adjustment, but given an offseason of practice I think that concern is essentially nil. Maybe I'm wrong, I played DB in high school and college (albeit not at a high level) and I don't have experience with the muscle memory of taking snaps from center in game action. I know Flacco took snaps from Ryan Bartholomew in training camp last year, and he's 6'1 flat.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever heard anybody criticize a center for being 6'1. In fact, most scouts would tell you that at the center position, you really want a guy between 6'1 and 6'4. Above 6'5, you start to get into some issues with leverage and center of gravity. That's actually one of the only knocks on Peter Konz out of Wisconsin; at 6'5 310 he's a bit tall for a center. Some have said he might be an all-pro at guard based on that build with his athleticism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree. These guys practice for a reason. Coming in cold off the bench, it might be a difficult adjustment, but given an offseason of practice I think that concern is essentially nil. Maybe I'm wrong, I played DB in high school and college (albeit not at a high level) and I don't have experience with the muscle memory of taking snaps from center in game action. I know Flacco took snaps from Ryan Bartholomew in training camp last year, and he's 6'1 flat.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever heard anybody criticize a center for being 6'1. In fact, most scouts would tell you that at the center position, you really want a guy between 6'1 and 6'4. Above 6'5, you start to get into some issues with leverage and center of gravity. That's actually one of the only knocks on Peter Konz out of Wisconsin; at 6'5 310 he's a bit tall for a center. Some have said he might be an all-pro at guard based on that build with his athleticism.
    Well, let's see what they all actually measure in at during the combine.

For all we know Vlachos could be barely 6' and Konz could be 6'3".

Texas Tech had Crabtree listed as like 6'3" and at the combine he measured in almost 2.5 inches shorter.

You guys call it over analysis, and it is, but it's just like scouts looking at the size of a receivers hands. They look at everything. Absolutely everything and the height of a center when your QB is just under 6'7" is going to come into play.

I'm not anti-Vlachos, I'm pro Philip Blake and Ben Jones.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There are a couple of 2nd tier guys like William Vlachos out of Alabama.
    A short, but decent story on Vlachos can be read here Bleacher Report, so it's not exactly probing.

But it does make me wonder if this is a guy the Ravens scouts could jump on as a great value because his performances outshine his measurables. That is often where they get their best mid-round values.

On the other hand, Cam has stated he likes a tall center (hence Birk). Will Cam be around to have a say (I think yes). Will his say outweigh the scouts'? (I think no).

One thing to consider with a rookie center is what effect he may have on pass protection. Since the center is responsible for making the line calls the pass pro starts with him. I know that the calls they have to make in college are generally pretty advanced, but I still think its something that has to be considered with rookie centers.

It's also why having a good one is so important to an offense...you don't want to be in a situation where there's an unknown at that position when you are likely going to be poised for another play-off run with a passing game you'd like to continue to develop.

That's why I think, even if they go Center early, I think they still try to retain Gurode or, if they can't, will make some kind of quality interior OL depth signing for security. In either case, if they took the Center in the first or second, I'd expect him to start with Gurode/FA as plan B.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    One thing to consider with a rookie center is what effect he may have on pass protection. Since the center is responsible for making the line calls the pass pro starts with him. I know that the calls they have to make in college are generally pretty advanced, but I still think its something that has to be considered with rookie centers.

It's also why having a good one is so important to an offense...you don't want to be in a situation where there's an unknown at that position when you are likely going to be poised for another play-off run with a passing game you'd like to continue to develop.

That's why I think, even if they go Center early, I think they still try to retain Gurode or, if they can't, will make some kind of quality interior OL depth signing for security. In either case, if they took the Center in the first or second, I'd expect him to start with Gurode/FA as plan B.
    I think Yanda would end up making a lot of the calls until whoever at center (if they are a rookie) is comfortable doing it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.