Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Your Favorite College Team/Conference

Since football is SLOWLY making its way to us, college football is right around the corner. Who's your fave college team/conference?

This is my favorite conference, by FAR! The SEC is full of excitement, with good teams like Florida, Auburn, LSU, etc. Pac 10 is a close 2nd to me, but SEC all the way.

Oh, and I'm a very casual fan of the U, but they've declined in recent years
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Re: Rep Your Favorite College Team/Conference

Just like Basketball, I am a Terps fan and ACC all the way.

Although with football unlike Basketball I will watch any conference as long as good teams are playing. With Basketball I can't stand to watch the other conferences ugly styles of playing.

SEC and big 10 are tied for my second favorite football conference

I think that the Big 12 and Pac 10 are worthless conferences and are grossly overrated.
    Last edited by pyite32; 07-10-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: said wrong thing
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

I'm still a Terps and Hokies fan and ACC as well, but since I've moved down here, some of the SEC teams are worth a look. Auburn and Alabama are good, but I can't root for the Gators. That bandwagon is packed in these parts.

Go see a Hokies home game once. It is phenomenal down there, how loud that crowd gets.
    Last edited by flraven; 07-10-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added Hokie info
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Terps fan and enjoy watching the top tier ACC games (F$U, VT, Clumpson, BC etc.).

I'll watch anything to be honest, not a huge fan of the Big Ten to be honest, grossly overrated conference for my money, extremely top heavy and the likes of UM and TOSU don't get the workout that SEC teams get.

SEC would be my favourite conference but then there's also nothing like sitting back and enjoying a WAC or PAC 10 shootout, the MAC has declined a little of late which I find highly dissapointing, midweek MAC games always used to be a highlight.

Pretty much anything, I always find the end of season furore over strong and weak conferences annoying because I think all the conferences except the Sub Belt have their merits.

pyite32, I agree with Big 12, but I dunno about Pac 10 being overrated. USC was a powerhouse back when Palmer was the QB, and UCLA and Cal are good squads. Wash St, Arizona and Oregon have declined, but Pac 10 always draft quality players (i.e Ngata, Heap, Suggs, etc).

I'm a Terps fans through and through, but the ACC is only my favorite basketball conference, they aren't dominant in football, IMO

I love the Terps and NOTRE DAME! GO IRISH!
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Wink Re: Rep Your Favorite College Team/Conference

It's football, lacrosse, and basketball in that order. I only support and watch Maryland's Division I teams. Don't care about Big 10, SEC, etc. I will watch occasional bowl games, March Madness, and NCAA Lacrosse Tourney involving other teams, but I'd have to be bored or drunk.

Terp grad and I live 10 miles from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. I grew up in Annapolis when Navy had two Heisman Trophy winners (Bellino & Staubach). I really don't remember the Maryland national champs of the 50s, but I do remember the great Maryland - Navy rivalry, and attended the last game for 40+ years due to total unsportmanlike asshole Jerry Fishman, standing on the field directly below me, flicked the finger to the brigade of Mids. And, of course, I attended the Navy-Maryland game at Ravens Stadium a couple years back, and was embarassed/disappointed by Fridge ducking a bowl rematch last December because of fear of Navy's option offense.

I annually average attending one or two Terp home games at Byrd. I have road tripped to Charlottesville. I average two or three Navy home games in Annapolis, sometimes including home games at Ravens Stadium or FedEx, and I road tripped last year to Colorado Springs (to meet the late arriving Purple Poe). I buy Navy season tix off & on - includes this season (to include Army-Navy in Baltimore) - if I can get my 25 yard line aisle seats back.

Lacrosse I fairly evely split between Byrd, Navy-Marine Corps, and Homewood Field, and support the three Division I home teams in that order.

Basketball, it's predominently Terps (on TV because I hate cold nights out at Cole - I haven't been to the new arena yet). Occasionally Navy and UMBC home games. I had attended many Navy games when David Robinson was there, and used to attend many non-ACC games at Cole.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Terps football is first for me in college. 2nd favorite team has always been the "U" so I was / am a little pissed my two favorite teams are in the same conference. Would always root for MD over the canes though.

As far as a conference, the SEC is obvious, but I would pretty much watch any two teams in the country play.

Mista T, you're very pro-Maryland, huh???

The ACC wasn't worth watching during football season, before the merger. Duke is terrible, Maryland played in some bowl games, but was never great, and the others were blah. Now, with the merger, I'm compelled to watch ACC more because of BC and the U. But it still doesn't get me fired up like SEC football.

duece, yeah I root for MD as well when they play

I follow the ACC closely and always watch MD if they are on TV. But I prefer the Big 10 and SEC for better quality football. I always like see the big rivalry games each year like Michigan vs Ohio State, Florida vs Tennessee..etc.

FM

11. Re: Rep Your Favorite College Team/Conference

one look at the name and you all can tell who I root for
    I hate Steel Cornballs

and...