Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Re: A few questions from a Texan

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    G&M is not that good... Popular, yes... good? Not really. Michael's (York Rd, Timonium??) is also another mediocre crab cake. Phillips is downright disgusting. If you want a good crab cake you will have to drive up Hartford Rd a bit to a place called Koko's. I haven't been to all the crab cake places, but I've been to a few. I'm sure there are other great places, but Koko's is by far the best of the 3 mentioned here.
    G&M is over rated and service sucks. They got ahead of themselves. I get an attitude when I go in there like they could care less if you spend money here or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RavnFreek View Post
    Harbor place is for tourists and is over hyped.
    Haha, that's funny - He's coming from TEXAS. While here in MD, he WILL be a tourist... I guess it depends on what he's looking for. Many good suggestions here in this thread. I agree with the part about staying in town. There are enough good restaurants and activities in the downtown area to keep him fully occupied for 24 hours.

Here's a link to some good information about the Inner Harbor area: http://wikitravel.org/en/Baltimore/Inner_Harbor

And might I add - if you like trains, don't miss:
    B&O Railroad Museum
    401 West Pratt Street
    Baltimore, MD 21223
    410-752-2490

Quote Originally Posted by 13ravenfan View Post
    Haha, that's funny - He's coming from TEXAS. While here in MD, he WILL be a tourist... I guess it depends on what he's looking for. Many good suggestions here in this thread. I agree with the part about staying in town. There are enough good restaurants and activities in the downtown area to keep him fully occupied for 24 hours.

Here's a link to some good information about the Inner Harbor area: http://wikitravel.org/en/Baltimore/Inner_Harbor

B&O Railroad Museum
    401 West Pratt Street
    Baltimore, MD 21223
    410-752-2490
    I get what you are saying but to me it's different. Harbor place while for tourists is not representative of the great little neighborhoods and non-chain restaurants and bars within them that we have in Canton, Fells Point, and Fed Hill. If you really want to get a feel of how great Baltimore is you need to get out of the harbor.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    G&M is not that good... Popular, yes... good? Not really. Michael's (York Rd, Timonium??) is also another mediocre crab cake. Phillips is downright disgusting. If you want a good crab cake you will have to drive up Hartford Rd a bit to a place called Koko's. I haven't been to all the crab cake places, but I've been to a few. I'm sure there are other great places, but Koko's is by far the best of the 3 mentioned here.
    I think you're the only one besides myself to mention Kokos in this thread. Always my top choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 13ravenfan View Post
    B&O Railroad Museum
    401 West Pratt Street
    Baltimore, MD 21223
    410-752-2490
    Two other great & cheap museums downtown in old train stations, particularly if the Texan appreciates history:

President Street Station Civil War Museum

601 South President Street
    location of the start of Baltimore's Pratt Street riots, infamous for the first casualties of the Civil war.... no, it was not at Fort Sumter SC!

B&O's Camden RR station

adjacent to Orioles Park at Camden Yards, almost spitting distance to Ravens Stadium, also was historically significant during the Civil War ... this houses the Babe Ruth and Sports Legends Museums, containing a huge collection of artifacts, videos, other attractions of The Baltimore Colts, Ravens, Orioles, other state teams, and famous Maryland sports figures,

5fc1ccd1b686dd1bc38208e9f1f0f1d1.200.jpg

Also, the Texan should visit the new Ft. McHenry Visitor's Center, which opened earlier this year. It contains many original works related to the writing of the Star Spangled Banner (sung without the "O!")
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    Do yourself a favor ang get a crabcake from G&M and for another meal get one from Kokos Pub. I've tried crabcakes allover the Baltimore area, you name it, I've had it. Take my word for it, Kokos Pub reigns supreme.
    This!
    Koco's are the best I've had as well. Good beers on tap too.
    As for Phillips, stay away, far away. They don't use blue crab, they use that Asian swimming crab for their cakes.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

swoopyjp - You will have to come back to this thread after the game and let us know how your visit went, ie. where you went what you thought of the city etc.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    What in God's name do you people have against walking?! Little Italy is literally 1 block from the inner harbor. Aldo's isn't 5 blocks away from the Aquarium.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+...sz=16&t=m&z=16
    I've got nothing against walking over, my point is if he's running around Inner Harbor all day, Aldo's isn't the easiest place to find. And grabbing a taxi gets him there.

Blog Entries

i have a couple seats in 539, sat up there for years before getting down low. they are high up there but the great thing about those seats is you see EVERYTHING unfold. from running lanes opening up to passing routes to defensive coverages and blitzes. you watch the game from the same angle that coaches do when studying film. have fun. do your pregaming in canton. its closer and a lot more fun than the harbor, IMO.

Almost forgot.

Late night dessert at Ale Mary's. Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.

May as well start your diabetes treatments after eating that one.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Of course, we drove from NC so we had our own vehicle. Our only mistake while there was trying to find the Edgar Allen Poe museum. lol I'm not sure if we were in the correct location, but the signs for it were very small, it was in the hood, and it kept us circling the block trying to find the building. My guess is that maybe it was his house and not the actual museum.
    LOL, YES, the Poe Museum is in the middle of the ghetto. Literally. The entire neighborhood was razed decades ago to make way for the Poe Homes public housing project. Only the Poe house and the two adjacent row homes were preserved. It's funny whenever lost and confused white people are roaming around that area the locals are always like "Oh, you must be looking for the Poe House. It's just around the corner and two doors on the right." The tourists don't even need to ask. Haha
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    It's funny whenever lost and confused white people are roaming around that area the locals are always like...
    ..."blue tops on the coke and jumbos on the dope." LOL