Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: A few questions from a Texan

Warms my heart to see the good suggestions to a Texan.
    It has been a number of years since I prowled downtown B'more
    Are the Water taxis from Inner Harbor to Fells point running this time of year? kinda nice to see the harbor. And Fells point is a nice hangout.
    I was in love with Little Italy When I lived in Crofton MD, Wife and I would go regularly.

Keep up the suggestions, I have been away too long make any myself.

I highly recommend Cross Street Market before the game.

It's the next best thing to tailgating.

On Cross Street (obviously) and Charles Street.

An easy (and safe) 5 minute walk to the stadium. It's especially easy, because after a few beers, you just walk out of the front door and head straight to get to the stadium!

Its a large market with a good selection and variety of fresh seafood, and local treats.

VERY casual. A few bar stools, but mostly standing room. But good food and drink!

We go before every home game and out of towners are welcome! Priced relatively well. Opens early (We usually get there at 9) on Sunday mornings.

And they sell HUGE beers for cheap!

Have a great time- Congrats on beating the Bengals! Good luck Sunday!

G&M is not that good... Popular, yes... good? Not really. Michael's (York Rd, Timonium??) is also another mediocre crab cake. Phillips is downright disgusting. If you want a good crab cake you will have to drive up Hartford Rd a bit to a place called Koko's. I haven't been to all the crab cake places, but I've been to a few. I'm sure there are other great places, but Koko's is by far the best of the 3 mentioned here.

Also check this site out for good food recommendations... if you are really looking for good food. Little Italy is not very good, food wise. Baltimore has great food, but you have to know were to go. You want a good meal? Go to Peters Inn in Fells Point. I haven't been in couple years... but If it's the same it is really good.

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/14

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Also, I agree with HoustonRaven, people: stop trying to force this guy to rent a car to go to your favorite suburban hangouts. There are plenty of great crab cakes and seafood restaurants within walking distance of the stadium.
    Its not their fault that most places downtown are overpriced and not that great.

Blog Entries

Many that fly rent cars so why not use it for some
    local flavor out in the hood. That's where the real
    restaurants are around town, any town.

If he doesn't have a car then all the places mentioned
    downtown are great.

Blog Entries

BTW, are Houston fans still over-confident about
    winning?

Quote Originally Posted by RevTim View Post
    Its not their fault that most places downtown are overpriced and not that great.
    So not true ....

Thames Street Oyster House
    Bertha's
    Mama's on the Half Shell
    Riptide by the Bay
    Red Star
    One Eyed Mikes
    Mezze
    Any restaurant in Little Italy not named Delesio's or Aldo's
    Jack's Bistro
    Alexanders

All reasonably priced, all a short trip from the harbor, all with amazing food (some of which are nationally recognized).

When I went to the Baltimore vs Panthers game a few years ago, my wife, my friend(the Panthers fan) and I spent all day Saturday down at the Harbor. Our hotel was about 15mins away from the stadium so we drove and parked at the parking deck down by the Aquarium. Of course, we drove from NC so we had our own vehicle. Our only mistake while there was trying to find the Edgar Allen Poe museum. lol I'm not sure if we were in the correct location, but the signs for it were very small, it was in the hood, and it kept us circling the block trying to find the building. My guess is that maybe it was his house and not the actual museum. Didn't eat any crab cakes then, but that's a must on our next trip! Later that night we caught a comedy show down at the harbor but I can't remember the comedian's name or the name of the building. If you live in a small city like I do, there's plenty to keep you occupied at the Inner Harbor as a tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So not true ....

Thames Street Oyster House = Delicious
    Bertha's = Delicious
    Mama's on the Half Shell = One of my favorite places for seafood. 3 different types of oysters on hand at all times
    Riptide by the Bay
    Red Star = Great Brunch
    One Eyed Mikes
    Mezze = Mmm... (drooling)
    Any restaurant in Little Italy not named Delesio's or Aldo's
    Jack's Bistro = One of my favorite restaurants, the Mac and Cheese and Chocolate is unbelievable. This is also the only restaurant I know of that will cook Sous Vide style
    Alexanders = Some of the best bar food in the city, great pizzas.

All reasonably priced, all a short trip from the harbor, all with amazing food (some of which are nationally recognized).
    Absolutely, I avoid the suburbs like the plague. See my comments in your quote.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swoopyjp View Post
    Have not got a hotel yet. Do you think the upper deck at m&t is comparable to the upper deck at Reliant? Man that sucks its not the right time of year for crab cakes.
    Go to Priceline, do name your price and pick 4 stars and downtown Baltimore. There are only a few, all are good, and close enough to the stadium.

As for the crab cakes, you can get great crab cakes at most places in Maryland. If you want to stay close to downtown Harbor area, I would suggest Mo's Seafood.

If you are staying down town, and are looking for a good quality restaurant Bo Brooks in Canton is nice. A little on the pricey side though. Then head up the street to some Canton bars and enjoy. You can take a cab if you are staying downtown. Harbor place is for tourists and is over hyped. Fells point is great too, lots of places with live music and great food.