Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Let's talk about Houston

Key is getting a fast start (which to be honest, it has been all year). They'll need heavy Foster to have any chance of winning (along with turnovers). Interesting how we may play the two teams that we had 'emotional' wins over earlier this season.

Ravens let them hang around until the fourth quarter before taking over. Houston also had a fluky TD and one big chuck down the field. It could've been more Ravens points with more TDs being taken instead of FGs.

Ravens typically step up a gear in their first playoff game (though this is at home) and after a bye.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
    Texans fan here. Good morning.

Here in Houston, we are all looking forward to the big game against the Ravens next Sunday. We have lots of respect for a Ravens defense that has been good for quite a few year now and one of the best running backs in the league. Neither the Texan's fans or the Houston Texans players will be taking this game for granted. Nobody is going to be mouthing off, except maybe the occasional adolescent loudmouth who talks like that pretty much constantly, regardless of the circumstances. Perhaps you guys have one or two posters like that around here yourselves.

By the way, the best Texan's message board is Texanstalk.com for anyone who might be interested.

Statistically, the Texans have a better defense than the Ravens this year. Here is a link to the statistics for 2011 at ESPN so you can see for yourselves. And as far as the Ravens win earlier in the season, it was well earned and props are owed. However, it should also be remembered that the Texans converted from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense this year, with no off season and while installing a new defensive coordinator in Wade Phillips. The game between the Ravens and the Texans was the sixth of the season for the Texans and the fifth for the Ravens, as they were coming off of a bye week. But now the Texans have had another 10 weeks to work out the kinks on this defense, and I am pretty sure that Wade Phillips still does not have everything installed in it yet. So maybe there will be something new in it for the game on Sunday.

So, this is probably not going to be a high scoring affair. And as a result, it could be that any turnovers have an especially magnified effect in this game. While T.J. Yates has not been confused with Drew Brees with regards to his passing statistics, he has been fantastic at protecting the ball and not making mistakes. Unless he changes character on this score in the game against the Ravens on Sunday, the key could be Joe Flacco, who has been a bit inconsistent this year. The Texans pass rush has continued to improve and has become quite excellent. And it is not just one player, their are four or five that can reasonably be expected to sack the quarterback on any given play. This is attributable not only to talented players, but more so to an extraordinarily gifted defensive play caller in Wade Phillips, who is the most valuable person in the Texans franchise this year, bar none.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in to say hello and share a different perspective with you guys. I would say "good luck" or something like that. But truth be told, I want to see the Texans pound the bird poop out of the Ravens on Sunday. All that being said, the Ravens will be favored, and with good reason. Congratulations to you guys on an excellent season and on having an excellent team, which hopefully will be watching the rest of the playoffs on television after next Sunday.

:)
    Good Post, 2 things

Flacco on the road is not Flacco at home (unfortunately), so I wouldn't bet on him making those road mistakes at M and T.

The Texans pass rush is admirable but the Ravens have also improved protecting Flacco, in the first meeting Andre Gurode play left guard, he's decent but his lack of athletecism hinders the run game, still with him in Ray Rice went for over 100 yards.

The Houston Texans are a "mirror" of the Baltimore Ravens - perhaps two years behind. They are my second favorite team and I have watched them build themselves in the AFC North mode over the years. Defense, a strong running game, a managed passing game revolving around one very good receiver and use of their tight ends, and a fanatical home crowd which - like the Ravens Fans - are pretty savvy in their use of noise to disrupt the visiting team. Most importantly - there is no quit in them - they play until the last whistle.

The thing to consider is that they were built to beat Indy and the model they chose was not the Patriots but rather Pitt and and Baltimore.

The link to their "glorious day" - the season opener in 2010 when they finally got the "Manning Monkey" off their backs is pasted below. That stats for that game will be, I think, hauntingly familiar to Ravens Fans - Indy got 419 passing yards to Houstons 98 - Houston got 247 rushing yards to Indys 44.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300912034

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    You posted a lot in your thread...but I am going to key on that one above.

If Yates makes the same throws against the Ravens that he did against the Bengals, he will be lucky to not have 3 TOs and perhaps one pick six.

Yates will have to play better for the Texans to win next week. Not saying it is not possible, or can't happen. Just my opinion.
    Yates will not make the same throws against the Ravens. He did sail a few balls, especially early on. But it appeared that a lot of these players started the game off with the jitters, including Arian Foster, who finished up the game with over 150 yards rushing.

Like I said, turnovers are likely to be even more important than usual in this game. But it should be remembered that Andre Johnson did not play against the Ravens earlier in the season, but he will play in the game on Sunday. Even in an off game, Andre finished with 90 yards and a very nice TD reception. Having him on the field will be a big help to TJ Yates and will be a real challenge to the Ravens secondary.

I know everyone is going to want to talk about TJ Yates. Kubiak is not trying to use him as a star player. But he has played well and is better than some people seem to think.

But the story that is likely to be under-discussed going into the game is the play of Joe Flacco. He can be quite good when he is on. But he tends to be inconsistent. So, which Joe Flacco will show up on Sunday? You better know that Wade Phillips is busy planning ways to disrupt and confuse Flacco even as we speak. With that in mind, the Ravens offensive line is going to be tested by the Texans front seven, you can count on that.

Welcome to the board, Mojoman.

I'm happy for you and the other Texans fans that you've had this taste of postseason success. And who knows; it may very well continue through Baltimore and deeper into the postseason.

But the Bengals, who you were playing at home, were winless against teams with winning records, iirc. And now, having beaten them, the Texans are going to an away game at Baltimore, which has been perfect at home this season and went 6-0 against teams now in the playoffs.

Could the Texans win? Sure. They're good. But don't mistake the Ravens away for the Bengals at home.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

6. Re: Let's talk about Houston

Statistically, the Texans have a better defense than the Ravens this year. Here is a link to the statistics for 2011 at ESPN so you can see for yourselves.
    Saying "Team X's defense is better than Team Y's defense because they allow less yards" is ignorant. Take a look at the following link for some useful statistics:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    The Texans' win was impressive (ANY playoff win is). However, this game was tied with 31 minutes to go, then the Texans made one game-changing play and the Bengals were powerless to stop their momentum (I wonder how the game would had played out if the Bengal safety didn't drop the pick-6, though).
    That play by JJ Watt was a game changer, and IMO won them the game from a mental stand point.
    The Bengals could not mentally over come it.
    If they had gotten the pick 6, then maybe they might have, but doubtful.

Over coming a situation like that for a young team on the road in that environment was not a good recipe for success.

The Texans will be facing a team that is far superior from a mental toughness stand point on the road in an equally as tough environment for them as the Bengals had to deal with.

The Ravens can handle the mental aspect of a big play happening to them, and have the ability to over come it if need be.

IMO, it will almost take the perfectly executed mistake free game for the Texans to win here on the road in this environment.

Speaking of environment...

Check out their schedule.

Not sure of the weather forecast for next Sunday, but I'd imagine it will be colder then its been here the past few days.

I don't think the Texans have had to play a game the entire year where the temperature was below 50 degrees or so.

Just about all of them have been in indoor type facilitys, warm weather citys or early in the year before cold weather places like here actually got cold and less favorable to play outside in.

If it gets ugly here weather wise that does nothing but make the situation for Houston even tougher.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

8. Re: Let's talk about Houston

Yates will not make the same throws against the Ravens. He did sail a few balls, especially early on. But it appeared that a lot of these players started the game off with the jitters, including Arian Foster, who finished up the game with over 150 yards rushing.
    Oh my. So, you count chalk up several bad throws against a good defense at home as "the jitters", then you say that he won't have any of that against a great defense on the road where they have been dominant all year?

C'MON MAN! I would love to have an intelligent football conversation with you, but you're coming off as an unabashed homer.

Like I said, turnovers are likely to be even more important than usual in this game. But it should be remembered that Andre Johnson did not play against the Ravens earlier in the season, but he will play in the game on Sunday. Even in an off game, Andre finished with 90 yards and a very nice TD reception. Having him on the field will be a big help to TJ Yates and will be a real challenge to the Ravens secondary.

I know everyone is going to want to talk about TJ Yates. Kubiak is not trying to use him as a star player. But he has played well and is better than some people seem to think.

But the story that is likely to be under-discussed going into the game is the play of Joe Flacco. He can be quite good when he is on. But he tends to be inconsistent. So, which Joe Flacco will show up on Sunday? You better know that Wade Phillips is busy planning ways to disrupt and confuse Flacco even as we speak. With that in mind, the Ravens offensive line is going to be tested by the Texans front seven, you can count on that.
    Get ready for an ass-whipping.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Oh my. So, you count chalk up several bad throws against a good defense at home as "the jitters", then you say that he won't have any of that against a great defense on the road where they have been dominant all year?

C'MON MAN! I would love to have an intelligent football conversation with you, but you're coming off as an unabashed homer.
    That is two posts in a row by you with rude, personally oriented comments directed towards me. If that is what passes for an intelligent or objectively minded discussion with you, then you would do well to think that through some more.

TJ Yates has played in seven professional football games. He is a rookie. He does make mistakes, as all NFL QB's do, regardless of their level of experience. However, he has been pretty good in protecting the ball and playing smart football. Is TJ Yates going to be the difference in the game on Sunday? Only if he screws up royally. But to be fair, I expect that the same can be said for Joe Flacco, who is currently not at any risk of receiving a pro bowl nod himself.

That is two posts in a row by you with rude, personally oriented comments directed towards me. If that is what passes for an intelligent or objectively minded discussion with you, then you would do well to think that through some more.

TJ Yates has played in seven professional football games. He is a rookie. He does make mistakes, as all NFL QB's do, regardless of their level of experience. However, he has been pretty good in protecting the ball and playing smart football. Is TJ Yates going to be the difference in the game on Sunday? Only if he screws up royally. But to be fair, I expect that the same can be said for Joe Flacco, who is himself currently not at any risk of receiving a pro bowl nod himself.
    Could this be a close game, sure it could......but no way that Yates does anything in the 4th Quarter except pick himself up from the turf.

TJ Yates has played in seven professional football games. He is a rookie. He does make mistakes, as all NFL QB's do, regardless of their level of experience. However, he has been pretty good in protecting the ball and playing smart football. Is TJ Yates going to be the difference in the game on Sunday? Only if he screws up royally. But to be fair, I expect that the same can be said for Joe Flacco, who is currently not at any risk of receiving a pro bowl nod himself.
    Houston ain't got no mojo bra......Houston is a dump.