Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Re: Hines Ward to Retire

THe way a few of the guys were hugging him after the game, I thought he might be close to retiring too...

Steelers were hoping to go to SB and hav refs hand them the game for wards last game. Just like they did for bettis.

Moved to the main page, since it's our most heated rival ....

Discuss.

He's had a great career, no doubt, but am I wrong to wish that we could have been the team to beat them to end his career?!?!?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

6. Re: Hines Ward to Retire

ahhhh, my lasting image will be JJ leveling him Week 1. What a way to send him off for Ravens fans.

Blog Entries

A year too late. Ward was a shell of himself this season.

And before someone asks......I know the HOF selection guys are Steelers homers but there is no way Ward has any shot of getting in.
    Last edited by GOTA; 01-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.

It was quite apparent and I do not believe it will be the last change in the Steelers roster. I look for changes similar to what the Ravens did this pre-season. Quite honestly I see some turnover in our roster as well for next season. Though not as dramatic as it will be for the Steelers

That team is going to look A LOT different next year.

Their cap woes are reported to be epic.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    He's had a great career, no doubt, but am I wrong to wish that we could have been the team to beat them to end his career?!?!?
    In a way, the Ravens did. And perhaps quite a few more.

I posted this article in the Non-Ravens forum:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_775706.html

Look at Baltimore and the decidedly different approach the Ravens took last offseason, shipping out a few veterans, keeping a few and allowing the youngsters to pick up the slack when the Ray Lewises went down.

I thought it would knock the Ravens backward. Instead, it gave them fresh life.

I raised that example with Rooney after this game, and the man with the final say on these things didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement for keeping everyone together again: "That's something for us to sit down and consider in the days and weeks to come. Right now, the loss just hurts.

If he wasn't a dirty player and a grade a asshole, I'd be very respectful in his retirement.

What's sad is that he made himself into a very good receiver after being a college QB. Had he not felt the need to try and hurt people (unaware that is) he would've gotten major props and maybe would've made the HOF after some time on the ballot.

I will say that he paid the price this year because he took some viscous shots because he simply had no lateral quickness and could no longer protect himself.

Glad he got his 1,000 reception on a shovel pass for a 5 yard loss.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

And before someone asks......I know the HOF selection guys are Steelers homers but there is no way Ward has any shot of getting in.
    I'm not so sure about that. His blocking in the run game, good guy reputation and the fact that he owns all those Steelers all time records will carry a lot of weight. Even his "dirty" reputation over time will be seen as a guy who would push the limit to win. Two Super Bowl rings and MVP of one of them -- I think he gets in eventually. Plus there is the idea that he "revolutionized" the slot WR position which led the way for Welker and others.