Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Passing of a Ravens Fan

I think, although this is a story of one person losing a loved one, it shows of bigger picture of what being a Ravens fan means to so many of us. I love the xs and os. Those of you who read my posts know that I love the stats too. My biggest love of the Ravens though is the unity it brings my family. No matter what troubles are going on in our worlds, when the Ravens are on, we are one unit, rooting together for a common goal. It's our bond.

I've been blessed with a beautiful wife and 3 healthy kids and I feel like that out of all the traits I hope to pass on to them, I hope that teaching the beauty of being a Raven fan remains at the top of the list. A lot of people in my extended family and at work and in other areas of my life can't understand it, but to me---and hopefully to my kids as they get older---the Ravens are not just a football team. They hold a intangible supportive power for me and my loved ones.

That's why I get so frustrated with some of the negativity that I find here from time to time. I can't fathom how anyone can use the Ravens as a source for anything other than enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    That's why I get so frustrated with some of the negativity that I find here from time to time. I can't fathom how anyone can use the Ravens as a source for anything other than enjoyment.
    As weird as it is, a lot of that "negativity" is how strong the love is for the Ravens coming through... I agree, sometimes it is truly counterproductive and unnecessary here, but one only gets aggravated when something is less than perfect when one wants that something to be all it can be...

Sorry for your loss. Great to hear your final moments with her were joyful.

God bless, Dan! My prayers for your family.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that Dan, my condolensces. My wife was diagnosed with colorectal cancer this year and after what seemed like a successful surgery in November, a CT scan in December revealed they didn't catch it in time, as it's starting to grow in her lungs. So they don't have hope of curing it, though they think they can buy her 5 years or more with ongoing chemotherapy. Which is especially tough considering she's just 30 years old and just had a baby in March. I can tell you, I've had enough of cancer just in the past year. One of my friends had her mom get diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and die within two months. And the same friend found out her uncle has terminal cancer on New Year's Day this year. My wife's great uncle got diagnosed with end stage lung cancer around Thanksgiving and died within a week. Cancer is a f-in dirty thief.

I'm glad your mother-in-law got to experience, in some way, the Ravens capturing the AFC North as one of her final memories. I wish you and your wife peace and comfort as you grieve the loss of someone so loved.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Sorry to hear that man, really am. God bless you and your family.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Sorry to hear about your Mom, life is too short.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Dan--
    I'll be honest, I'm tearing pretty good right now. Please accept my deepest sympathies and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless...

Blog Entries

Love and prayers for Dan and Scally. I pray that you guys have the strength to get through these tough times.

My condolences - I shall light a candle tonight during my meditations to help guide her toward the Peace she has earned.

iggyman555 Guest

sorry for your loss

Very sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family.

My deepest condolences Dan
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich

My condolences. I've been married for 30 years and can say I had a special relationship with my mother- in-law, sounds like you did too. I can only believe that you and your wife have a very special relationship too. Your mother- in law sounds like she was a fantastic woman; I wish I could have known her. - Gonz

Thank you all for your kind comments. My wife and i greatly appreciate it.
    Our Mom loved sports, but above all she would do anything for her family. I don't know how many times i heard her say, "I think I'll go see my grandsons play football tomorrow" and get up and leave that very night and drive to Cleveland. Her family always came first. On her last big trip this fall she got to see her youngest grandson play baseball in Cooperstown, and the following week she watched his older brother quarterback his High School football team in Cleveland Browns Stadium. She was something else and she will be missed.

To RavensScallywag -
    I wish i had the courage you and your wife have sir. Know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.