Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Passing of a Ravens Fan

Sorry to hear about your loss man, may she rest in peace.

My condolences, Dan.

My husband and I went through that two years ago before Thanksgiving. We were blessed that we were able to take my Mother In Law, Rose, to the Denver game in 2010 (her first Ravens game), which was the Breast Cancer Awareness game. She absolutely loved everything, from the tailgate to the game, she soaked it all in. I was lucky to get a picture of my husband with his Mom from our seats. It was one of the memorable games for me in all my years of Ravens football.

In November, Rose had taken a turn for the worse and passed on November 20, 2010 from cancer. She fought various cancers (starting with breast) for 12 years and they were full, good years. She always had a smile on her face. I've played a lot of sports with a lot of tough people, but I've met no one tougher than Rose. She was an inspiration and I miss her.

Every game day, we ask her to put in a good word with Jesus for the Ravens. Obviously, she has done a pretty good job this season.
    Last edited by GirlsKickButt; 01-07-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Dan, sorry to hear this wonderful woman passed. My condolences to you and your entire family. "They don't make 'em like they used to" surely applies here... Bc

I think, although this is a story of one person losing a loved one, it shows of bigger picture of what being a Ravens fan means to so many of us. I love the xs and os. Those of you who read my posts know that I love the stats too. My biggest love of the Ravens though is the unity it brings my family. No matter what troubles are going on in our worlds, when the Ravens are on, we are one unit, rooting together for a common goal. It's our bond.

I've been blessed with a beautiful wife and 3 healthy kids and I feel like that out of all the traits I hope to pass on to them, I hope that teaching the beauty of being a Raven fan remains at the top of the list. A lot of people in my extended family and at work and in other areas of my life can't understand it, but to me---and hopefully to my kids as they get older---the Ravens are not just a football team. They hold a intangible supportive power for me and my loved ones.

That's why I get so frustrated with some of the negativity that I find here from time to time. I can't fathom how anyone can use the Ravens as a source for anything other than enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    That's why I get so frustrated with some of the negativity that I find here from time to time. I can't fathom how anyone can use the Ravens as a source for anything other than enjoyment.
    As weird as it is, a lot of that "negativity" is how strong the love is for the Ravens coming through... I agree, sometimes it is truly counterproductive and unnecessary here, but one only gets aggravated when something is less than perfect when one wants that something to be all it can be...

Sorry for your loss. Great to hear your final moments with her were joyful.

God bless, Dan! My prayers for your family.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that Dan, my condolensces. My wife was diagnosed with colorectal cancer this year and after what seemed like a successful surgery in November, a CT scan in December revealed they didn't catch it in time, as it's starting to grow in her lungs. So they don't have hope of curing it, though they think they can buy her 5 years or more with ongoing chemotherapy. Which is especially tough considering she's just 30 years old and just had a baby in March. I can tell you, I've had enough of cancer just in the past year. One of my friends had her mom get diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and die within two months. And the same friend found out her uncle has terminal cancer on New Year's Day this year. My wife's great uncle got diagnosed with end stage lung cancer around Thanksgiving and died within a week. Cancer is a f-in dirty thief.

I'm glad your mother-in-law got to experience, in some way, the Ravens capturing the AFC North as one of her final memories. I wish you and your wife peace and comfort as you grieve the loss of someone so loved.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

9. Re: Passing of a Ravens Fan

Sorry to hear that man, really am. God bless you and your family.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Sorry to hear about your Mom, life is too short.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Dan--
    I'll be honest, I'm tearing pretty good right now. Please accept my deepest sympathies and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless...

Blog Entries

Love and prayers for Dan and Scally. I pray that you guys have the strength to get through these tough times.