Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Will the Perception of Matt Ryan Change?

If the New York Giants defeat the Atlanta Falcons tomorrow, will the media turn on Matt Ryan? We have already heard several media personalities focus on the fact that the Falcons have not won a playoff game with Matt Ryan at quarterback.

Actually, from previously reading the views of Falcons 'fans', they have already begun to question Ryan. It all started with the playoff game against Green Bay last year. Matt Ryan's pick six, at the end of the first half, essentially sealed the game. His statistics were padded, because they were playing from behind the rest of the game. After that game, Falcons fans began to wonder.

Now, I am asking if the media will really begin to wonder if they lose to the Giants.

What say you?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Will the Perception of Matt Ryan Change?

Matt Ryan needs to win to still be in the same discussion as Joe Flacco. If he does not win, he will be known as a good QB who cannot win in post season. Interesting to see how he plays outside of a dome stadium.Shame if he wastes his talent in his young years putting up good stats with no post season wins. Still, Atlanta has a QB for the years to come that will be exciting for them, unlike Josh Freeman with Tampa.

Nope. Once you get a "label" in the national media it usually sticks. No matter what you actually do to prove otherwise, you are what you are. Just look at the Pro Bowl and All Pro teams, once you get in you are a lifetime member. And there are guys who shouldn't even be in in the first place. The media has changed, they care about ratings, markets and popularity and anything they can do to appease those fanbases they know will give them page hits on whatever garbage they write.

Blog Entries

My company is based in Atlanta and all the guys there say the fans are already up in arms - if they lose this game he will get creamed. Good in the regular season, can't win a playoff game. Hope it's bad weather, that would be awesome.

This should be a close game but I think the home team has a much better Dline and that could be the difference.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

You know what is funny, Matt Ryan basically has had two number 1 WR's for 3 years and then THREE number ones to throw to this year. Three!! Could you imagine what Flacco could do with those weapons?? Playing in a dome 65% of his games no less, against garbage defenses. He should be lighting up the scoreboard week after week.

Blog Entries

I think that Matt Ryan is in danger of getting the type of label that Peyton Manning was given, early in his career. That is one of a 'Regular season Dome QB'. After his first two seasons, Manning began putting up great statistics AND a lot of victories in the dome. However, when he had to play outdoors, in the playoffs, he looked like a very different quarterback.

I think what has hurt Ryan even more so, in this situation, is that they had a home playoff game already. For those who remember watching the game, the game was over by halftime.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind they traded five draft picks to get him that receiver and win this year.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Keep in mind they traded five draft picks to get him that receiver and win this year.
    A decision that will haunt them for years. There was no need for them to go all in on a WR who didn't even have the surest hands, coming out of college. They should have taken those picks and built their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    A decision that will haunt them for years. There was no need for them to go all in on a WR who didn't even have the surest hands, coming out of college. They should have taken those picks and built their defense.
    No first rounder this year, and they probably won't be picking until around 55-60 or so. They pretty much are what they are next year, with a few key players getting older and no way to get an elite 1st round talent who can step right in in 2012 to replenish.

They had to limit Abraham's snaps this year, and are paying him a TON of money. He is easily their best player on defense, who is already having to be put on a "pitch count".

All those picks from last year that could have been used to get young guys waiting in the wings for 2012? Not there.

Sounds a bit like Peyton, eh? He didn't win one until his sixth season or so. People, commentators etc all like Ryan, so while there may be increasing pressure on him until he wins one, when all will be forgiven (until it's time to go and win the title).

That said, Ryan has more obstacles than Peyton did - Peyton had a much softer division.

The same thing will occur to the Patriots if they lose next week - increasingly look like a regular season and fold when the big boys are ready to play in tense conditions.

Blog Entries

Then, they paid money for Edwards, The vikings inferior pass rusher, as if he would be successful opposite an aging Abraham.

I like their offensive line and I like their two RBs. However, it will be difficult for them to pay both of those WRs and their QB soon. Meanwhile, their defense still struggles. They paid a lot of money for Dunta Robinson and all he has been known for, the past few years, is head hunting.

I think so. Ryan has been a media darling since before he was drafted. But this year I noticed a change in the national media towards him. Not an overwhelming change but a small change none the less.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller