Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

The Playoffs arrive in a couple of weeks and Ray insists he isn't coming off the field on third down in obvious passing situations even though he has become an enormous liability in pass coverage.

Can any of the Ravens coaches really believe he doesn't need to come off the field on third down? That now is really the time because he has become too slow.

It's hard to overlook the effectiveness of the defense without Ray on the field for that month, then as soon as he gets back the defense looks weaker.

Ray's handling is definitely a delicate situation, but they're getting sliced up with him on the field more than they were when he wasn't. He might be better with a reduced workload primarily playing the run.

Is satisfying Ray's ego worth making it a lot harder to get off the field on third down? In order to go anywhere we're going to need that defense from the 49ers game. The game Ray didn't play in.

The offense is the popular place to go looking for the Ravens flaws, but they have a pretty big one on defense with their biggest player. The playoffs isn't a place I want to watch Ray looking so slow and ineffective, especially when they did fine without him.

Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Agreed that Ray is much more effective at this point moving forward as opposed to backwards, but it is hard to analyze the pro/cons of having Ellerbe or Ayanbadejo's mobility or Ray's ability to organize the D and his instincts.

Blog Entries

Valid points, but I think the big question is whether or not Ray is legitimately healed or if he's "toughing it out".
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

4. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Agreed that Ray is much more effective at this point moving forward as opposed to backwards, but it is hard to analyze the pro/cons of having Ellerbe or Ayanbadejo's mobility or Ray's ability to organize the D and his instincts.
    Ray can't still shout that stuff from the sideline so that a faster player can get to where Ray says?

Blog Entries

Ask Tom Brady if he is afraid of the Ravens defense without Ray in the middle.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

When has pagano ask ray to come off the field on third down? I'm just asking cause this is the first time I have heard anything about this. Did ray mention this in an interview?

This will obviously be a delicate situation that needs to be addressed soon (i.e this off season). We need to look at MLBs hard in next year's draft and pair that with a heart to heart talk with Ray prior to next year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    Ray can't still shout that stuff from the sideline so that a faster player can get to where Ray says?
    I doubt it.

Let's be honest. Our pass defense still got pretty much owned by the Bengals when Ray was out. Our corners were the main culprit in SD. Last Saturday we only gave up 7 points on defense.

I think it's debatable if the third down defense is that much better without Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I doubt it.

Let's be honest. Our pass defense still got pretty much owned by the Bengals when Ray was out. Our corners were the main culprit in SD. Last Saturday we only gave up 7 points on defense.

I think it's debatable if the third down defense is that much better without Ray.
    And even some of the defenders said that there was blown coverage due to mis-communication, that's one are where Ray helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    When has pagano ask ray to come off the field on third down? I'm just asking cause this is the first time I have heard anything about this. Did ray mention this in an interview?
    The topic came up last year when John Harbaugh mentioned having talked to Ray about much longer he can play and at what level. Don't remember the specifics but Harbaugh implied that Ray would step back on his own terms. This much I remember.

Blog Entries

I've watched that man take Dominique Foxworth, Chris Carr and Frank Walker, into Gillette Stadium, as his starting CBs, along with little pass rush, and suddenly come alive to stomp the Patriots into the ground.

He stays in as long as he is breathing.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

12. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Agree with nns.....Everyone gets old he is a huge liability....
    Anyone remember vs Cleveland on that screen pass that ellerbe pretty much ran past two olinemen to make the play. Ray couldnt do that. People get old. Sucks to think about with ray.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb