Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    I'm not sure they need to improve the personnel. They just need to execute better.
    Cam Cameron... is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Cam Cameron... is that you?
    The Steelers Cam Cameron is gone :) Seriously though, they had the 23rd-best scoring offense - which is pretty lousy when you look at the weapons they had available.

Blog Entries

Embrace the inevitable.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Alright, let's say the Steelers get under the cap, what money will they have to spend to help improve their team, especially their overall depth?
    One of the biggest improvements has already been made. They got rid of Bruce Arians. I've wanted him gone for a few years and think the offense will only get better because of it. Yes, the oline is still an issue and will need addressed, but maybe if Ben learns to take what the defense gives him instead of going for the long passes, it will help. Those 5-10 yard routes may not make the highlight reels, but it could add years to his playing career and reduce the number of hits he takes.

Doesn't really say anything new - except that it looks like they will keep Wallace - again not a shock, but letting him go for a 1st was an option. I think Colbert is just preparing Steelers fans for the inevitable cutting of Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Good discussion. This thread will be exhibit A the next time I get asked why a Steelers fan is posting on a Ravens board. Because you don't get this info on Steeler boards. Most of them don't even acknowledge that a cap problem exists, and the few that do (like scout) believe it's overblown and the front office will magically fix it and keep the whole roster intact.
    There is plenty of good informative cap info on various steeler boards. There are like 12-15 Steeler message boards so I would encourage you to look harder.

I think we all acknowledge cap problems exist (numbers cannot be argued, so long as they're accurate) it's just that most of us have been Steeler fans long enough to not doubt the Steelers front office.

The Steelers do not do anything without the future in mind. They will not create a situation where they must dump half the team just to make it through 1 year. They also know that in 2014 Salary Caps will go up like 30 million because of new TV deals, so that gives them some wiggle room.

Anyone familiar with the way the salary cap works knows that players don't restructure as a favor to the team, or so they can be called heros or whatever. They do it because it benefits them to get their annual salary up front, rather than weekly. Who would not want to get their entire years pay in January so you can earn interest on it for 12 months while still paying bills monthly.

We have the best FO in the league, which is why I did not become overly concerned with the situation. I know Salary Cap compliance is just a numbers game and Omar and Kevin C are masters at playing it.

Consider these things before you make unfair generalizations
    about your teams fans.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Bottom line....the team will have to be gutted and there is no way around it. again the writer here is assuming all things break in their favor, every guy will restructure or sign team friendly deals, and the cap goes up to $128 million.

Others that haven't been mentioned like Clark are going to have to be sacrificed as well, and if you thought the Oline got Jen killed this year just wait until next year.

The fact that you question whether every guy will restructure proves that you do not know much about how the Salary Cap works. You have done nothing but quote others in these posts using their numbers and analysis to make it look like you know what you are talking about. I don't blame people for not knowing much about how the Cap works, it is rather complicated and some people couldn't be less interested in the number games.

You, however, claim to know just by reading one article from a fan (not a pro capologist) that the Steelers will "have to be gutted". Just about all of your claims (the stuff you added to other's analysis) have been proven to be inaccurate. This entire thread was a total waste of time and frankly wishful thinking on your part.

I hope the readers of this board who got all excited like 52 that the Steelers are going to be playing all undrafted rookies next year and will probably go 4-12 or something remember that the Steelers were playing this game well before the Ravens were even a figment of Art Modell's imagination. We are the model that many franchises (including yours) used to build a successful NFL franchise. That is why we Steeler fans have so much pride in our team and organization, because we are the best at what we do, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that. The Ravens have built a very successful franchise and I respect your organization greatly. I like the way it is run, how you draft, etc. All I'm saying is that we have been doing it for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    The Steelers do not do anything without the future in mind.
    For a team that doesn't do anything without the future in mind, this doesn't exactly scream out as outstanding planning.

Steelers will face receiver dilemma again in 2013

"If the Steelers had insisted on a four-year contract for Wallace instead of a three-year deal, it wouldn’t have been an issue."

"After 2013, this new RFA issue should apply only to undrafted players who have made it through three years of NFL service. That won’t give the Steelers much solace as they try to figure out how to keep Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders."

I'm a thinking preparing the fans for life without Heinz Ward would be the least of their concerns when it comes to the receiver position.

Just sayin'
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    For a team that doesn't do anything without the future in mind, this doesn't exactly scream out as outstanding planning.

"If the Steelers had insisted on a four-year contract for Wallace instead of a three-year deal, it wouldn’t have been an issue."

"After 2013, this new RFA issue should apply only to undrafted players who have made it through three years of NFL service. That won’t give the Steelers much solace as they try to figure out how to keep Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders."

I'm a thinking preparing the fans for life without Heinz Ward would be the least of their concerns when it comes to the receiver position.

Just sayin'
    To be fair most teams don't forecast 6th round picks becoming stars. Frankly the Steelers win either way - they can pay Brown and keep him or turn a 6th round pick into a 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post

Just sayin'
    How could they not know their third and sixth round draft choices would be superstars.

Blog Entries

I think the point that Fanatic is trying to make is that they are not bracing themselves, well enough, for handling the WR situation. The restructured deals are going to save them this season, but make it more difficult for them to sign both of their top WRs. If they cannot keep both, that might effect their offense. They could certainly draft a guy and prepare him. That would help the situation.

The major question is how the offensive line improves enough for the entire offense to improve?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore