Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I'd take their offensive line (compared to ours) any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Can I please have some of what you're smoking?
    Make that two of those please.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    You're forgetting that all this restructuring is only going to delay the envitable ..i.e a massive salary cap purge and roster void of veterans and playmakers. Besides the cap savings realize now will eventually have to be used to sign this year's draft picks.
    That will be a non issue because caps are expected to rise about 30 million in 2014 with new television contracts being signed. ESPN's new contract will add 13 million (see link below) by itself not including CBS, NBC or Fox.

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/s...95353606553601

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    That will be a non issue because caps are expected to rise about 30 million in 2014 with new television contracts being signed. ESPN's new contract will add 13 million (see link below) by itself not including CBS, NBC or Fox.

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/s...95353606553601
    Wow that's a huge jump. Players will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    The cuts are coming buddy, watch. The restructuring is only half the battle.

And yes there will be some holes after they are done. The dline will not resemble anything you have seen recently, and there are no young guys to step in except Heyward but who knows what he is gonna be. Hood has been shit and if you are banking on an undrafted 285 pounder in Steve mclendan to hold down nose tackle you got problems. There is no one else down the depth chart after those few question marks.

How about the oline, what is that going to look like with your best tackle not there? They have no money for Starks on top of him tearing his acl at the very end of the season. He couldn't stay under 400lbs in the offseason healthy what do you think he will balloon up to on one leg? That is an oline that just got worse if it is humanly possible.

So yeah, there will be a few holes. Like the entire lines on both sides of the ball.

I don't know where you get your information or if you just make it up but the fact is the D-line will look very much like it has recently, with the exception of Casey Hampton at NT in our base 3-4 defense, which we play less than our nickel defense.

As far as the O-line we will be much better next year, and will probably draft an OG early to possibly start at LG in place of Kemoeatu, who I expect will get cut. Willie Colon will be back to play RT, Gilbert will be moved to LT, Pouncey and Foster will play C and RG respectively. So our line will be much stronger and I expect the Steelers to draft an LG in the second or third round which will help.

In the first round I would hope the Steelers take a NT, but we'll see. The bottom line is we will be competitive as always. I think sometimes people forget that what the Steelers do they have been doing with great success for over 40 years. Which is why the Ravens (wisely) have patterned their front office after the Steelers model, and why both teams have been wildly successful compared to most NFL franchcises.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    Yeah I'll say...coaches too. Some teams who have less cap issues than the Steelers will have a lot of free money for FA signings. Don't forget starting in 2013 the 'salary floor' kicks in so every team must spend a certain amount (I forget the percentage but like 90% of cap) on payrolls. No more penny pinching owners.

I've heard/read speculation from a couple places that Smith could get cut too, so Hampton might not be the only d-lineman getting cut.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    So will the owners!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I've heard/read speculation from a couple places that Smith could get cut too, so Hampton might not be the only d-lineman getting cut.
    Smith only played a few games this season before a season ending injury!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Smith has only played a few games the last two years. I'm kind of surprised he isn't retiring. Ziggy Hood took his job last year and wouldn't be coming out.

I wonder with the new TV contract numbers coming out if player contracts this year will be going up on multi-year deals - ie. if agents know teams will be getting 30+ million more in cap in 2014, will they be asking for much larger base salaries from 2014 on in multi-year deals? I'm guessing yes, but I really don't know.

Blog Entries

It's going to be interesting to see how they finish this. They had to cut 25 million just to get under the cap. What are they going to do actually get some flexibility?

Woodley and Timmons are probably safe restructures. They are young guys that will probably be around and be worth those cap numbers for the length of those contracts. But then you start getting into Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and possibly James Harrison and your talking alot of dead money down the line.

Ike Taylor is also a guy that they probably shouldn't have restructured. Is he really gonna be worth a high cap number 2 or 3 years from now? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how they finish this. They had to cut 25 million just to get under the cap. What are they going to do actually get some flexibility?

Woodley and Timmons are probably safe restructures. They are young guys that will probably be around and be worth those cap numbers for the length of those contracts. But then you start getting into Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and possibly James Harrison and your talking alot of dead money down the line.

Ike Taylor is also a guy that they probably shouldn't have restructured. Is he really gonna be worth a high cap number 2 or 3 years from now? Probably not.
    They re-structured Taylor today which saves close to another 5 million. And they cut McFadden and Battle for another 3.5. So they're at approximately $20 million now with about 5 to go. They could restructure Roethlisberger and/or Polamalu. And there are a few easy cuts (Smith, Foote and/or Farrior, Hampton) that would get them to the $25 million.

Eventually they'll need to do both more cuts and restructures, but they don't need to do both right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Taylor may be - it all depends on what the cap does in the next 2-3 years. If it goes up dramatically then yeah he'll be worth it - because other guys coming up for new deals will be getting a lot more money.

And if he stinks they can just cut him and eat the dead cap money. I think it's still a fairly safe restructure.