Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

They restructured Timmons too.

His cap numbers will now be around 11 milion for the next 4 years.

That is now 25 million on just Timmons and Woodley for the next 4 years.

Both those guys are now tapped out, every penny has been squeezed into future years. Ben is next, can't wait to see his 2013-2016 numbers, they will probably be 20 million plus.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    They restructured Timmons too.

His cap numbers will now be around 11 milion for the next 4 years.

That is now 25 million on just Timmons and Woodley for the next 4 years.

Both those guys are now tapped out, every penny has been squeezed into future years. Ben is next, can't wait to see his 2013-2016 numbers, they will probably be 20 million plus.
    True, but you have to figure within that window that guys like Harrison and Polamalu will be gone - replaced by younger cheaper guys. They structured Woodley and Timmins in such a way (with massive roster bonuses due this year) that it was almost certain they would restructure those contracts. Khan has always been great at what he does. Could be an issue if he leaves though.

EDIT: They may restructure more, but I'm not sure they need to at the moment. Between the cuts of McFadden and Battle, plus the two restructurings they have already saved $15 million, so only have about $5 million to go to get in line with the cap. They could get there easily through cuts - like Ward and Hampton.

Of course then they'll have to figure out the rest of the cuts and whether they want to make room for Wallace later on.
    Last edited by madmikey; 02-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    True, but you have to figure within that window that guys like Harrison and Polamalu will be gone - replaced by younger cheaper guys. They structured Woodley and Timmins in such a way (with massive roster bonuses due this year) that it was almost certain they would restructure those contracts. Khan has always been great at what he does. Could be an issue if he leaves though.

EDIT: They may restructure more, but I'm not sure they need to at the moment. Between the cuts of McFadden and Battle, plus the two restructurings they have already saved $15 million, so only have about $5 million to go to get in line with the cap. They could get there easily through cuts - like Ward and Hampton.

Of course then they'll have to figure out the rest of the cuts and whether they want to make room for Wallace later on.
    Lol at only having 5 milling to go. Not even close. The numbers you read in the newspaper are not remotely accurate. They do not include draft pick allocation (3.5) and RFA and EFA tenders (another 10-12 million).

The numbers they cite are "right now" numbers, not including that 15 million or so for contracts that are not signed yet...that will be.

Lol at only having 5 milling to go. Not even close. The numbers you read in the newspaper are not remotely accurate. They do not include draft pick allocation (3.5) and RFA and EFA tenders (another 10-12 million).

The numbers they cite are "right now" numbers, not including that 15 million or so for contracts that are not signed yet...that will be.
    Yes that's why I said they will do more later. To meet the March deadline (which is the $20 million total) they can likely just cut a couple of players. They could easily cut another $10 million in salary right now if they felt they needed to by cutting Hampton, Ward, Farrior, Foote, but it doesn't look like they need to cut them all right now.

They won't cut Taylor for the simple fact they just gave him a long term deal and they wouldn't save that much by dumping him, or should I say what they would save would be the going rate for a starting corner so it would be a wash.

I do find it funny that according to all these people who have no clue about the cap, almost every single player is coming back - just at a reduced rate, when they are $30 million over the cap. It can't happen, and heads will roll. We just don't know which ones. Something has to give.
    Do you really think the Steelers will lose anyone of any consequence? They will just keep restructuring contracts until they have everyone they want signed. As I said before, this is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post

You're forgetting that all this restructuring is only going to delay the envitable ..i.e a massive salary cap purge and roster void of veterans and playmakers. Besides the cap savings realize now will eventually have to be used to sign this year's draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Do you really think the Steelers will lose anyone of any consequence? They will just keep restructuring contracts until they have everyone they want signed. As I said before, this is a non-issue.
    The cuts are coming buddy, watch. The restructuring is only half the battle.

And yes there will be some holes after they are done. The dline will not resemble anything you have seen recently, and there are no young guys to step in except Heyward but who knows what he is gonna be. Hood has been shit and if you are banking on an undrafted 285 pounder in Steve mclendan to hold down nose tackle you got problems. There is no one else down the depth chart after those few question marks.

How about the oline, what is that going to look like with your best tackle not there? They have no money for Starks on top of him tearing his acl at the very end of the season. He couldn't stay under 400lbs in the offseason healthy what do you think he will balloon up to on one leg? That is an oline that just got worse if it is humanly possible.

So yeah, there will be a few holes. Like the entire lines on both sides of the ball.

And yes there will be some holes after they are done. The dline will not resemble anything you have seen recently, and there are no young guys to step in except Heyward but who knows what he is gonna be. Hood has been shit and if you are banking on an undrafted 285 pounder in Steve mclendan to hold down nose tackle you got problems. There is no one else down the depth chart after those few question marks.

How about the oline, what is that going to look like with your best tackle not there? They have no money for Starks on top of him tearing his acl at the very end of the season. He couldn't stay under 400lbs in the offseason healthy what do you think he will balloon up to on one leg? That is an oline that just got worse if it is humanly possible.

So yeah, there will be a few holes. Like the entire lines on both sides of the ball.
    Uh the Oline was full of backups because of injuries. It can't be any worse than it was. Gilbert, who started all year at RT, will be the new LT, which is what he played in college. Colon will be back at RT. The rest of the Oline stays the same unless they draft a guard early.

And the only change on the Dline will be Hampton leaving. Plus their last two of their last three 1st rounders were Dlinemen.

Like I said before the bench will be hurting but the starters will not be much different.

I'd take their offensive line (compared to ours) any day.

Blog Entries

Can I please have some of what you're smoking?

Why? The Steelers have a decent Center and that's about it. Gilbert played well as a rookie at RT, but no one knows how he'll play at LT. Colon was a solid RT but he has barely played the last two seasons. Both guards (Foster and Legursky) are run of the mill guys - one of whom may well be replaced by an early draft pick. It's not the worst line in the league, but they're also nowhere near the top.

You dislike Joe Flacco that much?

Flacco would have been roadkill behind Pittsburghs line way earlier in the season.

Rothlisbergers ability to avoid pressure and manipulate around while having guys hang off of him is the key to their offensive success.

You put damn near any other QB behind that line and they're dead meat against good defenses.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!