Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 LastLast

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

I assume the steeler homers around here mean Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown when they reached for the term "superstars."

Because Emmanual Sanders since '10 has been, well, meh. If you consider 22 & 28 catches even, meh-worthy.

So it comes down to Wallace or Brown getting the big bucks. Or paying them both and further thinning out their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think the point that Fanatic is trying to make is that they are not bracing themselves, well enough, for handling the WR situation. The restructured deals are going to save them this season, but make it more difficult for them to sign both of their top WRs. If they cannot keep both, that might effect their offense. They could certainly draft a guy and prepare him. That would help the situation.

The major question is how the offensive line improves enough for the entire offense to improve?
    The Oline doesn't have to improve dramatically. If Colon comes back they should be fine at the tackles and C. The guards aren't great, but they can make do.

They do want the offense to improve though, which is why Arians is out and Haley is in. The Steelers need more quick throws if they want Roethlisberger to survive. It worked well against NE, but after that game the Steelers seemed to get away from it. I guess they didn't think they were seeing enough of the short passing game out of Arians.

Also, the Steelers could just play for the big cap raise in 2014. In some ways it might be best to get as many players signed to long-term deals before the cap implications of 2014 are known (some are projecting as much as a one-year increase of $30 million with the new TV contracts). If the cap is going to go up as much as some people project, the player contracts in 2014 are going to be a lot larger than previous contracts.

I just put it out there. Some stooler fans seem to think everything is just fine and dandy while the GM says otherwise.

At the end of the day i don't give much of a fuck what the stoolers do to get under the cap. i would laugh my ass off though if they have to lose some of their talent to do it. Shit, they should just cut the whole O-line and sign rooks. They will probably protect pig jen just as well as what they had last season. I see him suckin dirt a lot again next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    I just put it out there. Some stooler fans seem to think everything is just fine and dandy while the GM says otherwise.

At the end of the day i don't give much of a fuck what the stoolers do to get under the cap. i would laugh my ass off though if they have to lose some of their talent to do it. Shit, they should just cut the whole O-line and sign rooks. They will probably protect pig jen just as well as what they had last season. I see him suckin dirt a lot again next season.
    It doesn't work that way unfortunately. Cutting guys comes with an expense as well - ie. you still get charged for any guaranteed money against the cap. Some guys are actually more expensive to cut than they are to keep. The only time it really makes sense to cut players is towards the end of their contracts. That's why Colon will be back - he would cost too much to cut.

Half of Roethlisberger's sacks are on Roethlisberger. He holds the ball too long. Look at the play where he got injured. He had all day to throw the ball but held on far too long and took a big hit. That one was all on Ben.

The Steelers want him to change. Whether he does or not, who knows?

As for whether things will be fine or not it all depends on how the younger guys and subs play. The core players will all be back. They might stink and they might not. Odds are though that the team should perform at around the same level as last year - ie. solid but not the best team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    Odds are though that the team should perform at around the same level as last year - ie. solid but not the best team in the division.
    Fixed it for you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    I assume the steeler homers around here mean Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown when they reached for the term "superstars."

Because Emmanual Sanders since '10 has been, well, meh. If you consider 22 & 28 catches even, meh-worthy.

So it comes down to Wallace or Brown getting the big bucks. Or paying them both and further thinning out their roster.
    Must be awful to read stuff from homers.

Wallace and Brown and worth making sacrifices for.

I remember a 3rd and 19 that was a perfect example.

It seems that the Steelers got themselves into this cap problem by doing just that- thinking fondly of the 2010 season.
    The cap situation of the steelers is a LOT different than it was two season ago, when that 3rd and 19 occurred...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Fixed it for you. :)
    True enough. In today's league though you really don't need to be the best - you just need to get in and get hot at the right time. More often than not, the best team over the course of the regular season doesn't win the trophy.

Blog Entries

Here is an issue that has not been discussed very much. The idea that the salary cap will increase, does not mean that the contract demands of players will remain the same. If you combine a higher salary cap with the new implications for owners who do not spend a certain percentage of it, the player contract figures are bound to take as significant a leap forward as the cap itself.

For Pittsburgh, this could be an issue with guys like Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Maurkice Pouncey.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Here is an issue that has not been discussed very much. The idea that the salary cap will increase, does not mean that the contract demands of players will remain the same. If you combine a higher salary cap with the new implications for owners who do not spend a certain percentage of it, the player contract figures are bound to take as significant a leap forward as the cap itself.

For Pittsburgh, this could be an issue with guys like Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Maurkice Pouncey.
    It's likely going to be an issue with every contract negotiated from hereon out - including Flacco and Rice. The players and their agents know the cap will take a serious jump up in 2014 and they're going to want a piece of that pie starting now.

In a way the Steelers and Ravens are lucky having some guys like Roethlisberger, Ngata, Suggs, Woodley, Taylor etc. locked up long-term. The teams with emerging stars on entry-level deals are the ones that will be hurting in a couple of years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    It's likely going to be an issue with every contract negotiated from hereon out - including Flacco and Rice. The players and their agents know the cap will take a serious jump up in 2014 and they're going to want a piece of that pie starting now.

In a way the Steelers and Ravens are lucky having some guys like Roethlisberger, Ngata, Suggs, Woodley, Taylor etc. locked up long-term. The teams with emerging stars on entry-level deals are the ones that will be hurting in a couple of years.
    The difference is that the Ravens are in a better cap situation. They aren't restructuring a lot of deals. The only deal that they restructured last year was Lee Evans. Before that, you would have to go back to when they quietly restructured the deals of Jarret Johnson and Kelly Gregg, once upon a time. Up to this point, Pittsburgh handled these matters similarly. Pittsburgh is going to have to rely on those rising stars to help them compete.

The way they are restructuring deals, they are facing a double edged sword. If they don't find those rising stars that they have to pay for, there is a void in talent. If they do find more guys like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, they are going to have trouble keeping them.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The difference is that the Ravens are in a better cap situation. They aren't restructuring a lot of deals. The only deal that they restructured last year was Lee Evans. Before that, you would have to go back to when they quietly restructured the deals of Jarret Johnson and Kelly Gregg, once upon a time. Up to this point, Pittsburgh handled these matters similarly. Pittsburgh is going to have to rely on those rising stars to help them compete.

The way they are restructuring deals, they are facing a double edged sword. If they don't find those rising stars that they have to pay for, there is a void in talent. If they do find more guys like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, they are going to have trouble keeping them.
    It's a problem every team that drafts well is going to face. Unfortunately you can't keep everyone.