Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
Yeah, I knew the back ends of these contracts were pretty much fiction. And therefore the total figures are pretty much worthless. I guess I didn't realize that the signing bonus was pretty much the only thing that matters; I thought you could 'guarantee' more than just the signing bonus (which by definition is guaranteed because it is paid upfront). Trying to look up the details of Holmes' contract it looked like (the way I read it) his first two years salaries were included in the 'guaranteed' money, but it didn't mention when it was paid (which I assumed was the key in determining how it is treated for cap purposes). It listed his 1st year salary as $1M, and 2nd year as $7.75M, but like I said it said the $24M guaranteed 'includes' these amounts. I assumed that meant his upfront money was $24M less the $8.75M; if not, does it mean he got all the $24M up front but then gets no salary (just small roster bonuses) in years 1 and 2?

Either way, you are right that Wallace will draw more than Holmes (and less than Fitz), probably a large chunk more.
Most agents/players are looking at the first 3 years of a deal for the real value these days. The way long term deals are structured it is extremely hard for a team to cut a player they just locked up for a while without killing their cap until after year 3. A large chunk of the signing bonus, plus the yearly salaries are knocked out in that time period with the
"exit strategy" part of the deal if it goes bad after that.

That is why the Jets can't cut Holmes. He is guaranteed like 7.5 million next year regardless, even in 2013 it is going to hurt if they cut him but this year they just can't do it. They are stuck. I guess you could say they are "lucky" it is only a 5 year deal, because if it was longer they would probably have to keep him for 2013 as well. But either way they won't be parting ways.

In Wallace's case, he is going to have even more leverage with because the three most recent deals are going to be what Fitz got, what Holmes got..and what Vincent Jackson is going to get. The Chargers have said they aren't going to franchise him and he is a UFA. I guarantee Wallace and his agent will be following that negotiation and won't sign anything until they know what Jackson is in line for. And I suspect Jackson is going to get a nice deal, setting the market for Wallace. You also have a couple headcases in Desean Jackson and Stevie Williams who are UFA's coming up this year too. It is very rare that you will have that many recent deals at your position when you are coming up for yours to compare too, so Wallace should be in no rush to do anything.

All those deals will just increase his value because they are so fresh and not a year or two old like the deals a lot of agents normally have to use to negotiate. The market will be set higher, and it could be a lot higher.