Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 14151617 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    It's a problem every team that drafts well is going to face. Unfortunately you can't keep everyone.
    I understand that and I agree. My point is that the idea of the Steelers being able to use a skyrocketing salary cap (Expected increase much greater than any in history, in the near future) to bail them out of these restructured deals isn't as sturdy at the legs.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I understand that and I agree. My point is that the idea of the Steelers being able to use a skyrocketing salary cap (Expected increase much greater than any in history, in the near future) to bail them out of these restructured deals isn't as sturdy at the legs.
    Not entirely, but many of the "restructures" were put in place beforehand. There was no way Woodley and Timmons were likely to get the massive roster bonuses they were due this year. Both contracts were done last off-season when the Steelers already knew they'd be in salary cap trouble. They just built in the large bonuses to give themselves more leeway if they thought they could use it.

Harrison will likely be gone at the end of this year which will save them some money. And right now the only big upcoming contracts are likely to be Pouncey and Brown (if you assume Wallace leaves). With the way the cap is going up in 2014 they shouldn't have any major issues. They just have to hope they don't have any RBs emerge this year. It's sad but the multi-headed RB makes quite a bit of sense from a cap perspective - you don't want anyone to stand out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Have we not learned by now to never underestimate the Steelers?
    Whether it's injuries or being in cap jail they will find a way to persevere and contend. Watch.
    Pains me to admit it, but this^^

New OC may be all for cleaning house. Keep the most affordable RBs (see ya, Mendenhall - another victim of the vast right wing conspiracy), keep 2 of 3 front line WRs (Wallace and whoever elsethey can afford), draft some TEs (all the kids are doing it), on OL - draft Gs and continue to try to get away w/ retreads and UDFAs @ OT. Not that I would find anything wrong w/ gutting their offense, but I think Haley would probably prefer to rebuild it in whatever image he sold them in his interviews.

Defensively, they are really aging anyway. Bring in kids: their DC is a good teacher (or at least an old teacher). Whatev'.... I wish them no luck whatsoever. But they'll show up for the Ravens no matter who they dress.

Our immediate future vs. Pitts. will benefit (strategically and mentally) more from our success vs. them in 2011, than from any changes/degrading of Pitts. themselves. A very hairy, very ugly monkey was shaken off the Ravens' backs this past season (and I don't just refer to #43 )

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Pains me to admit it, but this^^

New OC may be all for cleaning house. Keep the most affordable RBs (see ya, Mendenhall - another victim of the vast right wing conspiracy), keep 2 of 3 front line WRs (Wallace and whoever elsethey can afford), draft some TEs (all the kids are doing it), on OL - draft Gs and continue to try to get away w/ retreads and UDFAs @ OT. Not that I would find anything wrong w/ gutting their offense, but I think Haley would probably prefer to rebuild it in whatever image he sold them in his interviews.

Defensively, they are really aging anyway. Bring in kids: their DC is a good teacher (or at least an old teacher). Whatev'.... I wish them no luck whatsoever. But they'll show up for the Ravens no matter who they dress.

Our immediate future vs. Pitts. will benefit (strategically and mentally) more from our success vs. them in 2011, than from any changes/degrading of Pitts. themselves. A very hairy, very ugly monkey was shaken off the Ravens' backs this past season (and I don't just refer to #43 )
    Glad to see that "playoff loss" monkey is still on yinz backs.

At least the Ravens lose against quality teams. I think it will be a while for the country to stop laughing at the loss the steeler had in the playoffs. Damn embarassing for the no 1 defense to lose against Tebow and company. Players dropping like flys to injuries and a QB who can't understand what head coaches want to do in order to compete in the postseason. Then to have a no throwing Tebow win with a pass that will be played on TV for years to come in playoff history. Can't wait to see who competes at a higher level this year to get to the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    At least the Ravens lose against quality teams. I think it will be a while for the country to stop laughing at the loss the steeler had in the playoffs. Damn embarassing for the no 1 defense to lose against Tebow and company. Players dropping like flys to injuries and a QB who can't understand what head coaches want to do in order to compete in the postseason. Then to have a no throwing Tebow win with a pass that will be played on TV for years to come in playoff history. Can't wait to see who competes at a higher level this year to get to the postseason.
    Your right about losing to quality teams like NE, Steelers (twice) , and Colts in the past 4 playoff years.Talk about embarassing - "Butter Fingers" Evans and "Wide Left" Cundiff will be long remembered. OH yeah, does John still have that time-out in his hip pocket? LOL

Shouldn't live in the past, it does nothing for what has happened recently. If it makes you feel better, live in the past because the future could make you miserable. Ravens shouldn't be embarrased losing because of missed field goals or dropped passes, it's part of playing quality teams. The steelers got beat by Tebow and company, a team that didn't have the no 1 defense in the NFL. The steelers should have won solidly against the Broncos with all the supposedly great players they have. That no 1 defense looked average to me. Sorry you have to pick on the Ravens at this time of the year, I guess with all the cuts and restructuring of contracts has your brain messed up. Don't worry , the refs will still be on your side again this year, the Rooney's will see to it. Helped you win many games that the steelers should of lost. Can't wait to see what ben does this year with haley.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMB View Post
    Glad to see that "playoff loss" monkey is still on yinz backs.
    Perhaps - time will tell...

I'm guessing yinz got a real good look at the monkey you reference, seeing as how it was the only AFC game that weekend. Musta been a bye week for Pitts. ... or something like that.

Speaking of sitting home watching TV, I turned on Animal Planet the other night. It seems they're still trying to determine just what jumped on yinz back in the game with Denver.

Bump bitty bump!

Boy could I pull some gems from this thread.

Instead of cutting players, they restructured them all, and look at where they are now. Same spot.

And guess what? They are going to be here again next year, as they restructure the entire top of the roster. For a 3rd time.

Wonder why the Stealer fans are so quiet this year? Didn't see too many in the thread on the Ravens page, so I thought maybe our piss and black faithful would catch this blast from the past.

The piper finally started getting paid in 2012, and that bill still has a LONG way to go before it is paid off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The Sword has spoken.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I have been around. The CAP situation is a solvable problem. It is every year. Nothing wrong with restructuring. Cutting players, to save money, and cutting deals. That is the nature of the beast. I am more worried more about injuries that the CAP situation for the Steelers. Missing the playoffs last year was not a result of the CAP situation. I don't think it will be any different this season. They are not the only team in the league saving money by cutting players.

My guess is they will field a competitive team as they have historically done in the last decade. No worries here.

Harrison is gone (Bengals, in the division, ha).
    real question is, whom will they add / draft? keeping the D mostly intact might not be that good an idea. and Ben will be a year older with more injuries on his resume.
    did they add any FAs offseason?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)