Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

The only way Ward will be a Steeler is if they cut him and he comes back at a much lower salary. The Steelers have no incentive to push next year's salary off for him, since it's not guaranteed. Why push it off when they can save the whole thing now?

Hampton's ACL surgery also pretty much guarantees he will be cut. Hoke has already retired. Smith will likely be next once the Steelers opt not to bring him back.

What? The boards I am active on acknowledge it plainly. How many threads does there need to be for an "acknowldgement." One or two threads should suffice for a single topic. Yes, some guys will be gone. What do you want to see? A thousand threads lamenting the situation? No matter what happens with the roster, I will say the Steelers will be competitive. And the Ravens and Steelers games will be as competitive as ever. Especially if the players we do have remain healthy, I am looking forward to seeing Roethlisberger not get maimed for once.

The cap will work itself out, it has to. And yes, you are right, this Ravens board has better information than a Steelers board. No question. Because Ravens fans know the Steelers better than the Steelers fans. Typical fan-base sensationalism and fantastic statements with no basis in reality. I don't get why some fans think they are always better than other fans. The best is term is "class act." Whenever I hear that I just roll my eyes. And yes, some Steelers fans are guilty of that stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Good discussion. This thread will be exhibit A the next time I get asked why a Steelers fan is posting on a Ravens board. Because you don't get this info on Steeler boards. Most of them don't even acknowledge that a cap problem exists, and the few that do (like scout) believe it's overblown and the front office will magically fix it and keep the whole roster intact.

The word is he stated he would be willing to accept a diminished role with a pay cut. He does want to come back, that much is known for sure. I hope he does, he still has the ability to make key plays. But as we know, with the advent of some youth on the team, he has not had as much opportunity. Cotchery wants to come back too - which provides even more competition for playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    The only way Ward will be a Steeler is if they cut him and he comes back at a much lower salary. The Steelers have no incentive to push next year's salary off for him, since it's not guaranteed. Why push it off when they can save the whole thing now?

Hampton's ACL surgery also pretty much guarantees he will be cut. Hoke has already retired. Smith will likely be next once the Steelers opt not to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    The word is he stated he would be willing to accept a diminished role with a pay cut. He does want to come back, that much is known for sure. I hope he does, he still has the ability to make key plays. But as we know, with the advent of some youth on the team, he has not had as much opportunity. Cotchery wants to come back too - which provides even more competition for playing time.
    I don't believe the CBA allows him to agree to take less money outright, but I could be wrong. I would think the Players' Association would flip over that.

He could reach an agreement to be cut and then come back at whatever salary is agreed to - but I think technically he would still need to be cut - even if his intention all along is to come back to the Steelers. I guess it's really just semantics. He can just agree to be cut and come back at the vet minimum - I don't really see any other way it would work.

At the end of the day the cap issues won't have a major impact on the Steelers' starters - but it will mean they have to go with a young bench and lose some veteran leadership. They also won't be major players in FA - although that's really not a change from the norm.

You are correct. Nothing has been said yet though. Every team has their legacy players. As much as I like the guy, and respect what he has done and would love to see him come back, it might be best for him to leave on his terms. Meaning just retire with his record fresh in his memory and not leave it up to the Steelers organization. Sometimes players stick around too long.

I don't believe the CBA allows him to agree to take less money outright, but I could be wrong. I would think the Players' Association would flip over that.

He could reach an agreement to be cut and then come back at whatever salary is agreed to - but I think technically he would still need to be cut - even if his intention all along is to come back to the Steelers. I guess it's really just semantics. He can just agree to be cut and come back at the vet minimum - I don't really see any other way it would work.

At the end of the day the cap issues won't have a major impact on the Steelers' starters - but it will mean they have to go with a young bench and lose some veteran leadership. They also won't be major players in FA - although that's really not a change from the norm.

Woodley just re-structured, saving $6.5 mill. this year. Likely the first of several restructures. And then come the cuts.

I hope this is not a double post - something went wonky when I replied - anyway . . .

McFadden an Battle were cut, saving about 3.5 more. It seems they have shaved about 10 million so far. More to come. . .

Woodley just re-structured, saving $6.5 mill. this year. Likely the first of several restructures. And then come the cuts.

Only 20 more million to go.

And now Woodley is carrying massive cap numbers for the next 4 years. Starting Qb type cap numbers around 13 million.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 02-08-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Only 20 more million to go.

And now Woodley is carrying massive cap numbers for the next 4 years. Starting Qb type cap numbers around 13 million.
    I don't know the details of it, are you saying they're just kicking the can down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I don't know the details of it, are you saying they're just kicking the can down the road?
    Yes - that's the only way salary cap restructures work. The money still gets billed against the cap eventually. The goal is to kick it into one year where the team isn't really contending - then eat a bunch of it then.

Blog Entries

Embrace the inevitable.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Now the word on the street says the rams have asked permission to speak to the Steelers "capologist" Omar Khan about their GM job. Interesting indeed. Don't have a link but read it on Profootballtalk.com