Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Why I'm rooting for the Steelers

I have been debating with myself who to root for this weekend all week. As a general rule, if the stealers were playing the Russians, I'd root for the Russians. I want to

1) Beat the crap out of the stealers here, but hate the idea of possibility of losing to these bozos (however remote).

2) have a home AFC championship game. I was fortunate enough to be at the last one in town when the Colts played the Raiders. I even threw a snowball at George Blanda in that game, before throwing snowballs at football games was judged to be politically incorrect.

The stealers winning this weekend give us the best chance to have two home playoff games (hell, we already paid for them).

After getting a headache trying to sort this all out, I have decided not to invest any emotional capital on this. I am just going to watch the games and see what happens. I am pretty sure my rooting interests will not have much of an outcome on the games.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    And you think that'll stop them from whining? I can just hear them running down all their injuries (real, imaginary, & played for the press) with a mouth full of Primanti fries & Linda Ronstadt singing "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" in the background...
    You are confusing Steelers fans with your own:

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Like the Ravens in the 08-09 AFCC. A rookie QB, Mason with one arm, Gaither with one arm, Suggs with one arm. McGahee and Rice coming off injury and still dinged up. Reed playing with his neck injury. I think Heap was nicked up, too.
    I don't know if baccys had Ronstadt playing or a mouthful of fries but it seems others "run down all their injuries" as well when they lose. Injuries can make or break a team this time of year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    I don't know if baccys had Ronstadt playing or a mouthful of fries but it seems others "run down all their injuries" as well when they lose. Injuries can make or break a team this time of year.
    I think you're reading into that more than was said.

Every team has to deal with injuries this time of year, and it is true that oftentimes the team with the fewest key injuries ends up winning in the playoffs. That's not an excuse. It's not whining to recognize it. Steelers' fans were smugly willing to dismiss the impact of injury in '08, but many are already warming up the ol' injury complaint in preparation for a stalled playoff run this year.

The injury situation is what it is. The Ravens had to survive a bruising battle with a tough Titans team in the divisional round to get to Pittsburgh, while the Steelers enjoyed a relatively relaxed romp over the soft Chargers. If the Ravens earned that tough road by getting swept by the Steelers that year in the regular season. They've earned the right to host the banged-up Steelers whether in the Divisional or Championship round this year.

I agree with you regarding the injury situation, as I stated in my post. The point was more to the other guy (lobachevsky)about whining. I am not sure what the difference between saying something to "recognize it" or whining about it is. It seems to me that a Steeler fan pointing it out, ie 'recognizing it' would be considered whining by this board while a Ravens fan doing the same would be considered simply recognizing it.

As far as Steelers' fans "smugly" dismissing the impact of injuries in '08 I can't really comment on without hearing the conversation, but I myself was well aware of the Ravens injuries and how hard it would have been for them to win at Heinz that year. Maybe though there is a chance that those fans acting 'smugly' were doing so because they mis-interpreted Ravens fans pointing out the injuries (recognizing them)as whining or excuse making.

Americanmade2012 Guest

I personally don't want to see the Steelers

Ok, so since we face Houston no matter who wins, obviously we all have to pull for Pitt tomorrow.

Tebow might have God on his side, but Brady has Belichik and that guy's at least cousins with the devil...

There is no possible way that Denver can knock of New England in Foxboro. Pitt probably can't either, but at least we can count on them to smack the hell out of the Pats. Heck, maybe The Silverback will do us a favor and spear Brady's facemask through his head.

So forgive me football gods, but HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

Excuse me, I have to vomit now.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369120,-76.761131
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    I disagree, I rather travel to NE than play the steelers @ home with the SB on the line. I want Denver and the Texans to win
    Why? The only way that the Squeelers beat us, is by Ben escaping the numerous sacks that our D puts on him. He's not that mobile guy, RIGHT NOW. I think that when we face Pissburgh, we'll abuse him. Suggs, McPhee, JJ, Redding and Kruger are gonna knock his d*ck in the dirt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    How bad is Von Miller hurt? It's a thumb injury, right? I can understand that getting in the way of shedding blockers to some extent, but I have seen a number of defensive players in the past playing with casts on their hand/wrist, and still being very effective.
    He hasn't been the same player with the cast. Teams aren't afraid of him with one hand. Pretty big drop off.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Americanmade2012 View Post
    I personally don't want to see the Steelers
    Home game or road game? The only way the Ravens stay home is to beat Houston and then face Pitt. I am all for it, perfect scenario
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

The Ravens are best at home. I am for anything that will get them a home AFC Championship Game.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Besides..............symmetry.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Fair enough, but if Cincy wins Saturday night? I think it's time to change your rooting interest for Sunday's game.

The 3 best teams in the AFC are us, NE, and PGH. The best scenario for us to make the SB is to not have to play both of those teams. So if Houston wins Saturday, I'll be pulling for the Steelers, for the reasons you mentioned above.

But if Cincy wins, that sends them to NE, and the winner of the Den/Pgh game here in week 2. Since I give the Bengals VERY little chance of knocking off the Patriots, I'll have to root for Denver. Broncos @ home, then Pats on the road is clearly an easier path than

Steelers(home)/Pats(road)
    Now rooting for Steelers, hard to do it. Ravens can get 2 home games if Steelers beat Pats. It could happen, the Pats will score points, doubt Steelers can with hurt line, limping Ben and Zero ground game. Plus, steelers have problems with NE.

I will never root for the Steelers no matter what. I will be rooting for Denver tomorrow. One more game of Tebow magic, please.

Besides I think either the Steelers or the Broncos will lose to the Patriots the following week. I see the Ravens road to Indianapolis as taking a detour through Foxborough.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Plus, steelers have problems with NE.
    The Steelers pwned the Pats back in October. Not sure what problems you're speaking of.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Get yourselves prepared for Ravens vs. Steelers #3. It's going to happen.