Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Is it immature of me to hope we play the Denver Broncos next week.....

Quote Originally Posted by laxman63 View Post
    :word And IIRC, Elway never said anything bad about Baltimore, just that he would not play for the Colts because of the situation! Joe Thomas had already torn the team apart and the talent level was low. Elway would have been killed behind the line we had in '82 and '83. He knew Irsay would not spring for better linemen and receivers so why play for the drunk! He did what he needed to do so he could have the best career possible. Didn't blame him then, don't blame him now.
    Joe Thomas was long gone, and despite him trading Unitas away and being hated for many reasons he actually built the teams that won in the mid-70s. Jones and the players got him fired in place of Marchibroda resigning in 1978, IIRC.

It was Frank Kush being coach and Irsay being the owner. Elway and his father even talked to Bert Jones who related the Irsay MO. Bert loved playing here but obviously he had no love for Irsay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPig1 View Post
    you know, I just re-read a book I have titled Colts To Ravens. It was written by John Steadman. He was a Baltimore sports writer for years. He wrote a lot about how and what Irsay was like. Man, it's a real eye opener. Irsay was definitely a a-zz hole. I was always kinda of felt the same way about Elway until I read this book. No wonder Elway didn't want to play here. I really don't think it was Baltimore per say, but Irsay.
    I read that book too, good history.

I will be Tebowing on Saturday

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Just so I can yell "ELWAY SUCKS" all over again just like I did on September 11,1983 when that spoiled brat Elway showed up in Baltimore for the first home game in Memeorial Stadium that year?

I have never forgiven him, but I will admit he was one of the top 237 QBs to ever play QB in the NFL. Yeah 237 is about right.
    I would imagine almost everyone outside of Baltimore and most people in Baltimore would disagree with you. Elway was a bad ass and I don't hold it against him for a second for not wanting to play for the drunk, Irsay.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    RA let us old timers have some fun with our memories.
    Why don't you old-timers drop the silly angst. It's not good for the heart. Besides, we're not talking about the Japanese and Pearl Harbor here.
    Last edited by RavensRule2; 01-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.

I'll be cheering for Denver to beat NE, fo sho!

That'll give the Ravens home field for the AFCC game, once they get rid of the Texans.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.